What's new

So many Simpsons!

So, I'm not even a month in and looking to purchase my first Simpson. Question is, which one to get? Not wanting to break the bank and go top of the line, but still want something nice. Duke Best D3? Classic Best CL1? Chubby Best CH1?

Something for a nice rich face lather. Leaning toward the Chubby, but am reading they take a LOT of cream??

I like the Duke 2. Best combination and perfect size for me. I found the Duke 3 a little too big which means the chubbys would be too large for me.

Do you have a preference in knot size?

I like the Duke 2. Best combination and perfect size for me. I found the Duke 3 a little too big which means the chubbys would be too large for me.

Do you have a preference in knot size?

Not sure which size I like. Right now just going on research and price, but narrowing it down

I like the Duke 2. Being a fan like knot it is big enough for face lathering but small enough for precision.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Ch1 Best and Duke3 Best are both excellent choices. The Chubby1 is nowhere near the lather hog the 2 and 3 are; it's the one I kept of all 3 Chubbies. Another excellent, World Class brush is the Special Best, and at $40 it won't break the bank.

You are looking at some of my favorites! My brush roration includes an old blond boar, a Muhle pure badger and 4 Simpsons (all in best): Chubby 1, Duke 2, Classic 2, and 57. The Simpsons are all terrific IMO! :thumbup1:

So, I'm not even a month in and looking to purchase my first Simpson. Question is, which one to get? Not wanting to break the bank and go top of the line, but still want something nice. Duke Best D3? Classic Best CL1? Chubby Best CH1?

Something for a nice rich face lather. Leaning toward the Chubby, but am reading they take a LOT of cream??

Great question! I can suggest the Commodore X2!

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
I'll +4 on the Duke 2. Not too big, not too small, not too expensive and might hit your sweet spot. If it doesn't, you're not out a lot of $. A very similar brush, just taller, is the Colonel XL which face lathers well.

I've had several Chubbies, and have kept only the Chubby 1. They are bigger than my preference, pretty pricey, and as pointed out may tend towards lather hogging.

Are you going to get this one?

proxy.php

The Simpsons Duke 2 in best is a great brush. Another one I'd suggest looking closely at it the Classic 2. I think it's a little more dense than the Duke, and might be slightly better for hard soaps. YMMV

I have tried about 15 different simpsons. Currently with 5 on my stach, and one on the way. I suggest the duke 3. I just got mine today and it is a solid brush. The handle feels solid with great knot dimensions and face feels

I only now one and it a Chubby 1 Best that my son gifted me and it's a wonderful brush that works with all my soaps and creams and the knot is so densely packed and it's lost maybe 4-5 hairs in the last year or so and that was in the very beginning.

Colonel in best. Great brush for anything you want to do and a reasonable price. That said, get a manchurian. You know you want one.

I bought a Simpson duke 3 in best badger & fell in love with it. At 1st, I almost ordered the Duke 2 in best. I say go with a Duke! It depends on what size you prefer? At WCS the Duke 2 is a best buy.

When I still had most of a beard, I bought my first (and only, so far) Simpsons brush, a Wee Scot.

It's great for controlling where the lather went (neck and cheeks) and keeping it out of my beard and mustache.
I still love it and use it in rotation.
I will probably buy at least one other Simpsons, something with a bit bigger knot like the 19 mm "Special S1 Best Badger".

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom