What's new

So Many Blades to Try

I had a few to try a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't aware of their price! They also used to be made in Solingen Germany. OK, I get it! Solingen is one of the knife capitals of the world. It is also in Germany, where everything is uber expensive.

Now their production has been relocated to the Czech Republic, which isn't particularly known for anything. Not meaning to knock the Czech Republic, but it is not known for its steel nor does manufacturing cost anything like it would in Germany. Yet the prices are higher now than they ever were before?

We all understand stand the conflict and embargoes concerning Russia and PPI, but the Czech Republic is not in a conflict zone.

Anyway, I don't recall being particularly impressed with the Merkur blades at the time? I was considering buying a three-pack and giving them another go-round.

Checking now, I find that a tuck of 10-blades is now $11 on Amazon. A pack of three tucks is $21.

These prices are totally insane!
Just on a side note the Czech Republic is a pretty good manufacturer of firearms and firearms parts. They have some nice lower price point firearms are underrated. That being said, I buy mostly US or German brands of firearms...

Just on a side note the Czech Republic is a pretty good manufacturer of firearms and firearms parts. They have some nice lower price point firearms are underrated. That being said, I buy mostly US or German brands of firearms...

That's my point! Today we have vastly improved manufacturing. Cities like Solingen, Seki and Sheffield don't carry the meaning that they once had.

Companies like Dorco are now operating sophisticated manufacturing plants in Vietnam and are doing so because they are leveraging the lower cost of labor.

The Merkur's now sell for more money than they ever have. They are more expensive than other top shelf blades like the Feather and 7 O'Clock Black's.

I had a few to try a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't aware of their price! They also used to be made in Solingen Germany. OK, I get it! Solingen is one of the knife capitals of the world. It is also in Germany, where everything is uber expensive.

Now their production has been relocated to the Czech Republic, which isn't particularly known for anything. Not meaning to knock the Czech Republic, but it is not known for its steel nor does manufacturing cost anything like it would in Germany. Yet the prices are higher now than they ever were before?

We all understand stand the conflict and embargoes concerning Russia and PPI, but the Czech Republic is not in a conflict zone.

Anyway, I don't recall being particularly impressed with the Merkur blades at the time? I was considering buying a three-pack and giving them another go-round.

Checking now, I find that a tuck of 10-blades is now $11 on Amazon. A pack of three tucks is $21.

Ever heard of the Skoda complex?

Škoda Works - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Works

They were big. Very big.

But they went out a couple of decades ago, after a long down-hill slide?
The Germans bought up the Skoda car, heavy truck and bus and train divisions I think in the early 90's.

Just saying that the Czechs had one of the largest heavy industries in Europe for over a century. Amazing and forgotten little factoid.

They were great designers and engineers too.

More to the point some new Czech razor companies would be cool to see!

Last edited:

Great information, thank you for sharing! You brought much more to light than I would have thought of. And I'm with you, I won't be buying any more Merkur blades at those ridiculous prices.

Great information, thank you for sharing! You brought much more to light than I would have thought of. And I'm with you, I won't be buying any more Merkur blades at those ridiculous prices.

Yes, the prices are ridiculous. But it is not just the price that matters, it is what you are getting for your money.

If a company were to produce a great razor blade and sell it for $10 and someone could get six months or a year of great shaves, it wouldn't be a bad price at all.

PreWar Tech
Treet Dura Sharp
Zenith unbleached boar
Stirling Green
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

After two days of bad blades, I had the pleasure of using a Treet Dura Sharp blade today. It has average sharpness & smoothness, but it was a treat after the Merkur & Gabriella of my two prior shaves (pun intended)!
0F6E75EB-FBC7-4837-B039-BB8DAF7DC965.jpeg08852C66-4A3C-4D43-90A3-31895FF4C4B1.jpeg

lasta

Blade Biter
Yes, I thought so too. It seems like a similar promotion to Willy Wonka‘s golden ticket! I might look at the wrapper again this weekend & look into entering. If I win a golden blade, I’ll let you gents know!
You can also try sending a dollar to Grand Razor Co and see if you get a razor + 25 blades!
1677261699911.png

Source: @Ron R

Ahhhh, an excellent blade to shave with today. The Rubie is both sharp & smooth. Delightful!

I agree. I was pleasantly surprised at the Rubie, it was very smooth. They disappeared from Amazon back in November.

As a note, I would consider it similar to the GSB.

It is like a less expensive 7 O'Clock Black.

PreWar Tech
Ying JiLi Super Stainless
Zenith unbleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I was thinking this blade might give my face a paint-scrapper experience. I was so wrong! Instead, I was rewarded with a nice smooth shave. The blade is only mildly sharp, not what I prefer. But it was quite smooth. This turned out to be a nice enjoyable shave!
IMG_5267.jpg IMG_5266.jpg

PreWar Tech
Treet King Stainless Steel
Rudy Vey 2019 Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Treet King is perhaps an average blade. Average, at best, sharpness & the same can be said for smoothness. The shave was fine, no tugging or ripping. Just not an enjoyable shave, just a "get the job done" shave.
IMG_5270.jpg IMG_5269.jpg

Top Bottom