What's new

So Many Blades to Try

The next two blades I used, neither were anything special. Yesterday was the Concord Platinum, & today was the Trig Stainless.
03C8268E-9739-4C87-BD42-AE16F16E108A.jpegF3615564-F949-419E-8022-FB6166B28BB6.jpeg

I appreciate this interesting study of yours, but I'm not sure that you can judge the quality of a blade solely by the first shave. I know I've found that with some blades, such as Feather, the second shave is better than the first.
I plan on closely following your progress, because I'd like to find some good blades that aren't made in Russia. :thumbsup:

I appreciate this interesting study of yours, but I'm not sure that you can judge the quality of a blade solely by the first shave. I know I've found that with some blades, such as Feather, the second shave is better than the first.
I plan on closely following your progress, because I'd like to find some good blades that aren't made in Russia. :thumbsup:
I agree completely with you. I know I’m not going to be able to judge the quality of a blade using it only once. I’m not doing this to assess the blades as much as it’s an easy way for me to use something different with each shave. My brief comments on the blade are merely an observation on the blades first shave performance. And I do just one pass, so it is an observation on a one pass first shave.

After the past two shaves with a Zorrik & Vijay, I came upon an oasis. The Astra Superior Stainless was such a welcome sight when I pulled it, at random, from the box holding all of the blades. And the shave was enjoyable, instead of a chore. I've been a fan of the Astra Superior Platinum (Astra SP) for many years, but have only tried the Astra SS on a few occasions. Under the circumstances I'm currently committed to, using a different blade each day, the Astra SS delivered a stellar shave!
IMG_4771.jpgIMG_4770.jpg

I just happened to be using one prior to the end of 2022. I had seven (out of eight shaves) on it when the year ran out.

Like you, I have a new shaving adventure this year, only mine involves using one blade fir a complete week.

I have five left over blades from last year. I plan on using them any time my current weekly blade requires that I retire it before the week ends.

That way I have some extra blades for shaves, the final couple of days.

I use the Platinum blades too but the Superior Stainless did an admirable job for the seven shaves I used it for.

Will revisit the Stainless and the Platinum again for a week each this year.

Its nice to have these little hidden gems in your pile!

Last edited:
Its nice to have these little hidden gems in your pile!
Hidden gems, I like that! I'm sure I'm going to have quite a few not-so-good blades, so having a hidden gem like the Astra SS get randomly chosen from the pile is a wonderful treat!
Do you have any Gillette Winners in the pack? I'd love to get your take on them.
Unfortunately, I don't have any Gillette Winners.

Top Bottom