What's new

So Many Blades to Try

For the foreseeable future, I'll be using a different blade with each shave. It all started when I read this thread:

Something Different Every Shave

I'm not going to write a review of each blade, but some blades may earn some copy here. Feel free to join the Something Different challenge.
Here's my blade stash I'll be going through.
6AEF3CAD-885A-4C59-8132-8E704E567762.jpeg

Quite a stash you have there!

The only problem with only using the blade for a single shave is that the first shave is not always indicative of normal shaves for that blade.

Some times a blade might be extra sharp and a little bit rough, other times, there will be excess coating that needs to wear away.

I tend to conduct the initial shave using a forgiving Merkur 34c and disregard the shave details.

I use a Muhle R41 head for the 2nd shave. It gives me a much better idea about the blades overall performance.

Out of sheer curiosity, just how many DE blades are in that pile?

How will you choose which blade? Reaching into a hat VERY carefully?

No problem, they are all in wrappers. I am doing a similar adventure that began earlier this morning.

Mine is a 1-Week daily shave using a single blade each week. That is the plan anyway.

I am doing this by a random blade selection. I have set aside 26-blades, already for the first half of the year. I pulled out a Dorco ST300 for Week 1. I think random selection is the better way to do this type of blade evaluation.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Quite a stash you have there!

The only problem with only using the blade for a single shave is that the first shave is not always indicative of normal shaves for that blade.

Some times a blade might be extra sharp and a little bit rough, other times, there will be excess coating that needs to wear away.

I tend to conduct the initial shave using a forgiving Merkur 34c and disregard the shave details.

I use a Muhle R41 head for the 2nd shave. It gives me a much better idea about the blades overall performance.

Out of sheer curiosity, just how many DE blades are in that pile?
I agree. I would add that being human precludes your getting the exact same technique every day. On top of that, there are definitely the occasional bad blade from any manufacturer.

I'd suggest at least 3 days with each blade, going immediately to the second example of that blade if you suspect a bad edge. See you in 5 years.

I wasn't thinking of getting into an analysis of each blade. My intended purpose of doing this is to participate in the changing each shave challenge. I've often mentioned to others the need to give a blade at least 2 - 3 tries before making a determination on the blade. I'll be going against my own advice! I reserve the right to use a blade once (and for some blades, that may be one time too many!) knowing there may be some blades in this stash that I'll choose to use 2 - 3 times. I'll keep track some way or the other of the blades that were nice to use so I'll know what I want to consider trying again in the future.

To start this fiasco, I decided to blindly pick a blade out of the basket. The first blade chosen was the Super-Max Blue Diamond Platinum. It was adequately sharp & smooth in my PreWar Tech. I am pleased to report my first shave in this journey was most satisfactory!
IMG_4733.jpg

I'll keep track some way or the other of the blades that were nice to use so I'll know what I want to consider trying again in the future.

It needn't be difficult. The 2nd half of last year, I spend jumping around from blade to blade each day. My goal was to determine if a blade could reach eight satisfactory shaves.

I had bought some small round circular magnets with adhesive on one side from Amazon. They are slim, like refrigerator magnet business cards.

I had put a few along the wall side of my mirror. Then I thought, ehat the heck? So I put some more on. I could fit 17 in total from top to bottom.

I put the blades out as I used them. Since I clean my razor after each use, I would remove the blade, wash and pat it dry.

I would then place it on the small box of unused blades to thoroughly dry. Later, I would take a Sharpie and place a small dot on the side that I just shaved with and placed it at the top of the column of dots.

After I grabbed a blade, I would turn it over to the other side and shave with it. Placing a dot on that side and moving it down the column.

I would jump around each shave, so as to compare blades with different number of shaves.

After the 8th shave, I placed each blade back in its wrapper. I noted the blade name on plain wrappers and the number of shaves, eight or less.

The blades that made it to eight shaves, I indicated a "G" for Good, if that blade was still shavable or "P" if I am Pulling it from further future shaves.

Blades with less than eight shaves, would all be marked with a "P".

In your case, just mark your blade after each use. When you are finished with it for the time being, you can mark the wrapper with the number of shaves and a "L" to indicate that you Liked the blade.

I'd suggest at least 3 days with each blade, going immediately to the second example of that blade if you suspect a bad edge. See you in 5 years.

Well, my Shaving Adventure for this year is to change blades on a weekly basis. This would figure to around 50-blades each year.

Currently, my blade inventory is in excess of 3k blades. At 3k, this would figure to sixty years. Since I am currently 68, I remain eternally optimistic...

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
For the foreseeable future, I'll be using a different blade with each shave. It all started when I read this thread:

Something Different Every Shave

I'm not going to write a review of each blade, but some blades may earn some copy here. Feel free to join the Something Different challenge.
Here's my blade stash I'll be going through.
View attachment 1581447
That’s the most economical way to change your shave. I have a ton of blades among other components of shaving. I change things up, but not systematically. Will you use the same razor? I look forward to your honorable mentions even though YMMV comes into play. It makes for interesting reading.

@Ratso & @timetofly, great suggestion about using one razor. I’ll be using a vintage Gillette prewar Tech. It has decades of faithful service to millions of faces, so I think it should be able to handle all the blades I can throw at it! I opted for the Tech over my modern Blackbird, Wolfman, or Timeless. It just seems right to me to use the Tech.

Since your present task is to quickly work your way through your ample stash of DE blades, for fair comparison purposes, it is better to keep as many other factors as constant as possible, starting with a single razor.

@Ratso & @timetofly, great suggestion about using one razor. I’ll be using a vintage Gillette prewar Tech. It has decades of faithful service to millions of faces, so I think it should be able to handle all the blades I can throw at it! I opted for the Tech over my modern Blackbird, Wolfman, or Timeless. It just seems right to me to use the Tech.
Gillette Tech. Simply doesn't get any better than this!

Enjoy your shaves with that bevy of blades!

Top Bottom