What's new

So Many Blades to Try

Surprised that the Usta blade does not have a Derby Usta logo printed on it. Unusual for Derby. Is the logo on the reverse side?
I checked both sides when I unwrapped the blade. I found it interesting there wasn't any printing on either side of the blade. And @Lane101, thank you for your additional comments about the Dorco blades as well as your comment on enjoying this thread. I'm glad it's getting read, & hopefully letting others know, if nothing else, that there are quite a few very good blades available. And on the flip side, there are some really bad blades out there, too! I'm certainly enjoying myself!!!

Last edited:
3/20/23 SOTD

PreWar Tech
Zomchi Platinum
Zenith bleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Zomchi was fairly sharp but not very smooth. It didn't give a particularly good shave.
IMG_5361.jpg IMG_5362.jpg

3/21/23 SOTD

PreWar Tech
Tatra Platinum
Zenith unbleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Tatra Platinum is a very good blade! I was pleased with how sharp & smooth it was. Excellent shave today!
IMG_5365.jpg IMG_5366.jpg

This was a wonderful shave today. The blade was smooth & sharp, quite nice!
I am so confused with all the Gillette blade offerings. I am using the SharpEdge currently, so other than swapping "Perma" for "Edge" in reverse in the name, how are they different.

It is like the Wheel of Fortune Before-After puzzles: PermaSharpEdge

(Rhetorical question, no need to answer in this thread.)

PreWar Tech
Bossman Stainless
Zenith bleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Bossman gave a nice shave, a decent sharp smooth blade. A nice treat!
IMG_5378.jpg IMG_5379.jpg

PreWar Tech
ASCO Super Stainless
Zenith unbleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Asco gave a functionally nice shave. It's sharp & smooth, but it left me desiring a bit more sharpness &/or smoothness.
IMG_5389.jpg IMG_5390.jpg

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Hadn't popped in here for a bit. Mostly because I'm content with me blades.

However, that in no way diminishes my appreciation of @dmshaver 's blade journey or blade generosity.

I enjoyed getting caught up and appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences.

I also must confess my curiosity is piqued. I haven't been around the forums for a long time, but I have been for a few minutes. I am not familiar with SO many of the blades you've acquired. Wherever do you find these? If it's a trade secret I'll totally understand.

Last edited:
I also must confess my curiosity is piqued. I haven't been around the forums for a long time, but I have been for a few minutes. I am not familiar with SO many of the blades you've acquired. Wherever do you find these? If it's a trade secret I'll totally understand.

Funny? I was asking myself the exact same question. Where does one happen across these real obscure blades?

The GBE is a treasure trove of razor blades! I encourage anyone & everyone to look at the inventory & participate

Is there a link to the inventory listing?

I am probably flush with blades for my Weekly Shaving Adventure this year. Maybe in the future? Good to take a peek though?

lasta

Blade Biter
If anyone deserves "Blade Biter" next to their name, it would be @dmshaver !

I still have no idea how I got mine...but, whoever gave it to me, please don't take it away:c1:

If anyone deserves "Blade Biter" next to their name, it would be @dmshaver !

I still have no idea how I got mine...but, whoever gave it to me, please don't take it away:c1:
You are the Blade Biter, no one else! Seeing your custom title makes me think an additional warning needs to be printed on blade wrappers - Warning, do not bite blades. But what will that lead to? A new generation of blade lickers? Warning, do not lick blades!

Been busy at work & haven't had time to post in several days. But I am still shaving! Here are the last 5 days:

3/28/23

PreWar Tech
Topaz Platinum
Rudy Vey 26mm Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Topaz started off sharp & smooth but lost its edge after a few strokes & was not a pleasant shave.
IMG_5393.jpg IMG_5394.jpg

3/29/23

PreWar Tech
Merkur Timor
Rudy Vey 26mm Shavemac D01 3 band
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Timor in my Wolfman razors is a marvelous blade. But in the PreWar Tech the Timor was a terrible blade. Now I know why people say they are overpriced bad blades... they are. But I will still say they work wonderfully in Wolfman razors. At least for me!
IMG_5396.jpg IMG_5397.jpg

3/30/23

PreWar Tech
RK Stainless
Rudy Vey Zenith unbleached boar
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

A satisfactory shave. I don't remember the specifics of the shave being several days removed from the shave.
IMG_5399.jpg IMG_5400.jpg

3/31/23

PreWar Tech
Treet Platinum
Rudy Vey 26mm Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Treet Platinum was a very nice sharp blade that delivered a smooth shave. Quite pleasant!
IMG_5401.jpg IMG_5402.jpg

4/1/23

PreWar Tech
Gillette Minora Stainless
Rudy Vey 26mm Shavemac D01 3 band
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Lucky Old Man

An average blade. Not a top-shelf Gillette blade, I didn't find it particularly sharp or smooth.
IMG_5430.jpg IMG_5431.jpg

Last edited:
You are the Blade Biter, no one else! Seeing your custom title makes me think an additional warning needs to be printed on blade wrappers - Warning, do not bite blades. But what will that lead to? A new generation of blade lickers? Warning, do not lick blades!

A few decades back, I worked at a Toyota dealership. There was a car washing station directly behind the building. Usually, there were a few employees there that would wash every new and used car before it was taken home.

They would use DE blades and maybe some GEM style blades to remove material that would stick to the car.

These guys would "hold" these blades in their mouths! Really!

PreWar Tech
Vertice Euromax Platinum
Rudy Vey Zenith unbleached boar
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Euromax Platinum was a terrific blade, providing a super sharp & wonderfully smooth shave. This may be the best find, to date, of this blade adventure. This is a blade I'll try again!
IMG_5433.jpg IMG_5432.jpg

PreWar Tech
Rainbow Super Stainless
Rudy Vey 26mm DG B14
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Rainbow was a nice shave. It's a good sharp blade that is fairly smooth, to. Overall, an average to above-average blade for me on just one shave.
IMG_5435.jpg IMG_5434.jpg

Shave #78 of this blade journey.

PreWar Tech
Champion Platinum by DuraBlade
Elite Razor 26mm Manchurian
MdC Agrumes
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I got a good shave from the Champion Platinum. It wasn't exceptional, but it was a sharp blade that just wasn't as smooth as I would like. Not terrible, just not exceptional.
IMG_5438.jpg IMG_5437.jpg

Top Bottom