What's new

So Many Blades to Try

PreWar Tech
Shaving Revolution Platinum Series
Rudy Vey 2019 Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Proraso Red

The blade started off sharp with average smoothness, but the sharpness quickly deteriorated halfway into my first, & only, pass.
IMG_5275.jpg IMG_5274.jpg

PreWar Tech
Super Max Blue Diamond Platinum
Omega Premium Jade boar
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

This wasn't nearly as sharp as the first Diamond Platinum blade I used at the beginning of this journey. Today's blade was average to slightly above average in sharpness. Fine for smoothness.
IMG_5278.jpg IMG_5279.jpg

I had a few to try a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't aware of their price! They also used to be made in Solingen Germany. OK, I get it! Solingen is one of the knife capitals of the world. It is also in Germany, where everything is uber expensive.

Now their production has been relocated to the Czech Republic, which isn't particularly known for anything. Not meaning to knock the Czech Republic, but it is not known for its steel nor does manufacturing cost anything like it would in Germany. Yet the prices are higher now than they ever were before?

We all understand stand the conflict and embargoes concerning Russia and PPI, but the Czech Republic is not in a conflict zone.

Anyway, I don't recall being particularly impressed with the Merkur blades at the time? I was considering buying a three-pack and giving them another go-round.

Checking now, I find that a tuck of 10-blades is now $11 on Amazon. A pack of three tucks is $21.

These prices are totally insane!
Tiger and Tatra Blades are also made in the Czech Republic. I find their blades are similar to Astras, the SP (Tiger and Tatra) are smooth but mild like the Astra SP and the Tiger SS is sharp and smooth like the Astra SS.

Here are two days worth of shaves in this post.

3/6/23

PreWar Tech
Gillette Super Thin
Oscar Rosewood best
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Pleasant shave with the Super Thin. It is certainly thin! It was pleasantly sharp & smooth. Not a top-tier blade, but still a nice one.
IMG_5287.jpg IMG_5288.jpg

3/7/23

PreWar Tech
Derby USTA
28mm Paladin
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I don't care to use the Derby again. Not particularly sharp or smooth. I was hoping, being a tennis player, that the USTA would be a winner. But alas, not to be!
IMG_5291.jpg IMG_5292.jpg

3/8/23

PreWar Tech
Lord Super Stainless
Turn N Shave handle w/ 26mm Elite Razor HMW
SV 70th
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Lord Super Stainless was a good blade, I had a nice sharp, relatively smooth shave with it.
IMG_5295.jpg IMG_5296.jpg

3/9/23

PreWar Tech
Wilkinson Sword from Germany
Rudy Vey w/ 26mm DG B14
SV 70th
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I really enjoyed this German Wilkie, very good blade!
IMG_5300.jpg IMG_5301.jpg

3/10/23

PreWar Tech
Elios Inox
28mm Brad Sears
SV 70th
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Average blade for sharpness & smoothness.
IMG_5303.jpg IMG_5304.jpg

PreWar Tech
Vi-John Super Platinum
Zenith bleached boar
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The first couple of strokes this blade didn't feel smooth, but then it smoothed out quickly & delivered a nice shave. A good sharp blade!
IMG_5338.jpg IMG_5337.jpg

PreWar Tech
Vi-John Super Platinum
Zenith bleached boar
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The first couple of strokes this blade didn't feel smooth, but then it smoothed out quickly & delivered a nice shave. A good sharp blade!
View attachment 1621258 View attachment 1621259
I'm glad that you tested this blade. I got a 100 pack on a lark. They turned out to be very good. It's surprising they are rarely seen or talked about, since they are good performers.

I'm glad that you tested this blade. I got a 100 pack on a lark. They turned out to be very good. It's surprising they are rarely seen or talked about, since they are good performers.
I agree, there’s not a lot written on these blades. And they provided me a very good shave.

Reactions: Kix
3/16/23

PreWar Tech
Derby Premium
Zenith unbleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Derby was satisfactory. I was hoping for better, but it was just an above-average blade.
IMG_5342.jpg IMG_5341.jpg

3/17/23

PreWar Tech
Topaz Stainless
Omega Premium Jade
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Topaz was consistent throughout the entire shave... consistently dull.
IMG_5344.jpg IMG_5343.jpg

3/18/23

PreWar Tech
Treet Carbon Steel
Zenith bleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Treet Carbon Steel blade provided a nice shave. I am pleased to say the blade was above average in sharpness & smoothness.
IMG_5352.jpg IMG_5350.jpg

Here are two days worth of shaves in this post.

3/6/23

PreWar Tech
Gillette Super Thin
Oscar Rosewood best
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Pleasant shave with the Super Thin. It is certainly thin! It was pleasantly sharp & smooth. Not a top-tier blade, but still a nice one.
IMG_5287.jpg IMG_5288.jpg

3/7/23

PreWar Tech
Derby USTA
28mm Paladin
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I don't care to use the Derby again. Not particularly sharp or smooth. I was hoping, being a tennis player, that the USTA would be a winner. But alas, not to be!
IMG_5291.jpg IMG_5292.jpg
Surprised that the Usta blade does not have a Derby Usta logo printed on it. Unusual for Derby. Is the logo on the reverse side?

I tried the STP-301 or ST-301 Dorco Prime Platinum Blades, and they were a bit better that the ST-300 blades. If I remember correctly, the Dorco Prime Platinum Blades were a bit sharper than the ST-300 ones, but still not for me. I had purchased a box of 100 301's directly from Dorco because they were so inexpensive and gave them to a friend who loves them.
Great example of YMMV as the ST-301 and ST-300's are the same blades in different tuck containers. STP-301/300 Dorco Primes are a premium blade with an extra coating.

Top Bottom