What's new

So Many Blades to Try

Kind of surprising. I found the basic ST300's and ST301's to be good blades at 6-cents each.

The Primes are about twice the price and are also good blades, though I am not sure how much better they really are? I have limited experience with them, being one of my more recent purchases.

I have been given to understand that the Titan's were their premium DE blades? I have never shaved with one.
I was surprised, too. I was hoping for a good blade. As has been said previously, this might have been an outlier & it’s actually a good blade.

I was surprised, too. I was hoping for a good blade. As has been said previously, this might have been an outlier & it’s actually a good blade.

Since I am doing the 1-Blade, 1-Week thing this year, I decided if a blade failed at less than 6-shaves, I would place another on back into the random draw. I decided it would be more fair and balanced if I did this.

Realizing that any individual blade might fail. I am really trying to see if a particular brand will last me for an entire week.

I have been given to understand that the Titan's were their premium DE blades? I have never shaved with one.

I have never used a Titan either but when it comes to knowledge on Dorco, I usually defer to @Lane101 who categorized them as follows:

Interesting # of shaves on the Titan as Dorco positions them as the "good" in the good, better, best line-up of Titan, Stainless & Primes. May have to get some though the last thing I need now is more blades.

For myself, I've had great shaves and decent longevity from the stainless ST300 and the Prime STP301 (HQ versions).

I have never used a Titan either but when it comes to knowledge on Dorco, I usually defer to @Lane101 who categorized them as follows:

Interesting # of shaves on the Titan as Dorco positions them as the "good" in the good, better, best line-up of Titan, Stainless & Primes. May have to get some though the last thing I need now is more blades.

For myself, I've had great shaves and decent longevity from the stainless ST300 and the Prime STP301 (HQ versions).
Hi Sweeney and @ShavingPrimate , Yes Dorco lists three DE blades in its 2022 catalog with the Prime (STP300), Dorco (ST300) and Titan (STL300) with Primes as the premium "best" blade, Dorco as the mid-range "better" blade and Titan as the basic "good" blade. They now differentiate these primarily by coatings with no coating listed for Titan, a Chromium Ceramic coating for Dorco and an "Advanced Diamond Hard Coating" for the Primes. The ST300 SKU name, that used to be Dorco Stainless, appears to have been truncated to just Dorco.

Only these #300 paper tuck stock-keeping-units (SKUs) are now listed in the catalog. The #301 SKUs were taken out of the catalogs a couple of years ago. #300 and #301 blades are identical with the only difference being the use of a plastic tuck for the #301 SKUs.

These blades also show up under lots of different localized names in different countries such as the Dorco Klass blade in India that appear to be Titan blades per their STL300 SKU number. We've also seen the Titan sold as Dorco Super Sharp blades in middle eastern countries with the same STL300 number. Fairly common practice across consumer products as a complimentary name in one country can have negative implications in others with different languages.

PreWar Tech
Dorco Titan
Zenith Unbleached boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Well here's another blade I won't be using again. The Titan wasn't smooth & the slight bit of sharpness was gone half way through the first pass.
View attachment 1606195 View attachment 1606196
Sorry to hear that. Per your photo you definitely have newer made in Vietnam production. i've never tried the Titan, just the more premium Dorco ST300/301 and Prime STP300/301 blades and they are my best blades. Your Titan test result gives me more incentive not to add them to my assortment that already includes the other Dorco DE blades.

Per the 2022 catalog the Dorco and Prime blades have coatings that are not listed for the STL300 Titan blades. Typically those coatings enable greater smoothness by allowing the cut whiskers to better glide across the blade during the shaving process. That may be the difference between this and the excellent shave you realized from your Dorco ST300/301 blade your reported on in post #40 in this thread and Prime STP300/301 in post #57.

Quick Addition to the above: Dorco may have changed the Titan blades over the past two years. The 2020 catalog shows a Titan package that noted the blades are double coated (no specifics as to what with). The latest packaging shown in the 2022 catalog no longer states anything about the coating just stating "New Cutting Edge Technology". Per your picture you used one of the newer blades. This can also help explain earlier posts where shavers were happy with the Titan blades.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kix
PreWar Tech
Treet 7 Day Platinum
Zenith boar
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

The Treet 7 Day Platinum provided a pleasant shave. I found it sharp & smooth.
477FFB2A-4B93-4DD2-9738-A08831B9D3EC.jpegB4AA53E0-BE43-4332-9323-98011DB5BD54.jpeg

Thank you @Sweeney_ & @Lane101. Perhaps my assessment of the Titan was appropriate. I think of myself as using the blades, not testing the blades. I am switching blades after every shave so I use a different item every shave. @ShavingPrimate is giving a balanced review of each blade. I am simply giving my initial impression of each blade when I use it for my one pass shave.

Understood, and thank you.
Thus far, I am certainly enjoying the thread and your impressions. 👍

I think of myself as using the blades, not testing the blades. I am switching blades after every shave so I use a different item every shave. @ShavingPrimate is giving a balanced review of each blade. I am simply giving my initial impression of each blade when I use it for my one pass shave.

In thinking about it, I believe that what I am doing is more related to what you are doing. It is more of an impression than a review.

It is more or less going on the assumption that, being labeled as a razor blade, it should therefore provide a satisfactory shave.

I am then not really trying to critically review the blade but to determine if that blade will provide me with a satisfactory shaving experience for one full week of daily shaves.

Then ending the week with a comment or two as to my general impression of the blade. Such as dies it shave close and smooth enough and might it last fif another shave or two?

In effect, your day, is my week.

PreWar Tech
Treet New Edge Carbon Steel
Rudy Vey 26mm DG B14
Ethos Lavender
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

Two days in a row using a Treet blade. Today’s was a carbon steel blade, the New Edge. This was a pleasant shave. A satisfactory Sharp & smooth blade. I haven’t shaved with many carbon steel blades, but this was certainly one of the better ones.
6F0FB9ED-6CC6-430A-BF07-8CC153CB9237.jpeg822F574B-630F-4161-A4EB-4E238A320415.jpeg

In thinking about it, I believe that what I am doing is more related to what you are doing. It is more of an impression than a review.

It is more or less going on the assumption that, being labeled as a razor blade, it should therefore provide a satisfactory shave.

I am then not really trying to critically review the blade but to determine if that blade will provide me with a satisfactory shaving experience for one full week of daily shaves.

Then ending the week with a comment or two as to my general impression of the blade. Such as dies it shave close and smooth enough and might it last fif another shave or two?

In effect, your day, is my week.
I see your point & agree with you. We are both simply sharing our impressions of each blade. Enjoy your shaves!

PreWar Tech
Personna Platinum Chrome
Elite Razors 26mm Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I've been out of town so haven't shaved this weekend. After a few days off I used a Personna Platinum Chrome & received a splendid shave. This Personna was sharp & smooth. Very nice!
IMG_5212.jpg IMG_5213.jpg

PreWar Tech
Personna Platinum Chrome
Elite Razors 26mm Manchurian
MdC Fougere
Hyaluronic Acid
Vanilla Highball

I've been out of town so haven't shaved this weekend. After a few days off I used a Personna Platinum Chrome & received a splendid shave. This Personna was sharp & smooth. Very nice!
View attachment 1609351 View attachment 1609352

This is good to know, I would have expected Merkur blades to be both smooth and sharp but of course I will still need to try one or a few because I know that what may be sharp/smooth for you and your setup may or may not be for mine...

Agreed, the Merkur blades are expensive. Perhaps it is a superb blade in another razor. But for me in the Tech, it wasn’t.

I tried them as well and have come to the same conclusion as you.... not comfortable or sharp and certainly not worth their money! So for me, once and never again too.

Agreed, the Merkur blades are expensive. Perhaps it is a superb blade in another razor. But for me in the Tech, it wasn’t.

I had a few to try a few years ago. At the time, I wasn't aware of their price! They also used to be made in Solingen Germany. OK, I get it! Solingen is one of the knife capitals of the world. It is also in Germany, where everything is uber expensive.

Now their production has been relocated to the Czech Republic, which isn't particularly known for anything. Not meaning to knock the Czech Republic, but it is not known for its steel nor does manufacturing cost anything like it would in Germany. Yet the prices are higher now than they ever were before?

We all understand stand the conflict and embargoes concerning Russia and PPI, but the Czech Republic is not in a conflict zone.

Anyway, I don't recall being particularly impressed with the Merkur blades at the time? I was considering buying a three-pack and giving them another go-round.

Checking now, I find that a tuck of 10-blades is now $11 on Amazon. A pack of three tucks is $21.

These prices are totally insane!

Top Bottom