What's new

So long, buddy . . .

I have always believed that a man "shoots his own dog", so to speak. Last night, my boy made that choice unnecessary . . .

A little over 13 years ago a ginger tom cat named Winston stepped out of his cage at the animal shelter into my arms and over my shoulder. He stayed there, purring, until Karen came in from the other room full of cats. She took one look at Winston, and looked at me when I turned around, and said, "I guess we found our new cat." We renamed him Chester, because Winston was a little too pompous for such a laid back a feline.

Chester was immediately "my" cat, outnumbered as we both were by the other females in the house. Eventually he was outnumbered three to one by Sita, Anna, and Keira.

We lost his harem over the space of a year and a bit and, as is the way of things, new cats were brought into our home. Chester adapted to this new reality, secure in his place in the pecking order. And the two new additions quickly learned that they could run around the house to their heart's content, but that certain areas belonged to Chester, and to Chester alone.
Our bedroom, and specifically, our bed, were Chester's throne room and place of repose. It became a nightly routine of Chester coming to bed when we did, lying down between my pillow and the headboard, and purring until I fell asleep. He was my "white noise" machine.
The ginger tabby that entered our lives draped over my shoulder 13 years ago, left our lives the same way tonight, draped over that same shoulder He had some sort of seizure, and was gone in seconds, He was a good cat, and we were lucky to have had him as long as we did.
Chester3.jpg
Chester2.jpg
Chester1.jpg

They are not meant to be our lifelong companions, we are meant to be theirs.

I'm sorry he is gone. I miss my cat that I rescued from a snowbank during a storm. Nobody claimed him, so he became mine and we had a special bond as long as he lived.

As someone who has had a similar experience many times, I can empathize with you. Just be thankful that the he died quickly and you did not have to make the painful decision to put him to sleep. That can be heart-wrenching. Chester was a beautiful cat.

I posted on the "dogs" thread yesterday about my boys, one dog and one cat. Lost the dog a couple of years back and the cat was there to ease my pain. He still is at 13. I know I will miss him dearly one day.

So sorry for the loss of your good friend.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Oh, no! I am so, so sorry.

Deep and sincere condolences from our cat-family to yours ...

And I know it's too soon, but consider keeping that love you had for him - by rescuing another cat.

They need us, and we need them.

AA

We are sorry for your loss and saddened. Chester enjoyed sharing his life with you, and gave you love that will last until the end of yours. May the memories you have of your beloved little boy bring you comfort.

And I know it's too soon, but consider keeping that love you had for him - by rescuing another cat.

They need us, and we need them.

AA

Oh . . . there will be another cat coming home at some point, but that is for another time.

I wanted to say a "thank you, gentlemen", because I am a firm believer in the maxim which states,

"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased."

I appreciate you easing my heavy heart.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. We have had many cats and dogs share our lives. When each one has passed, the pain was so unbearable that we both thought we would never get another one. But, it seems that feeling soon wanes and the empty spot they leave begs to be filled. I’m hoping it won’t take you too long to fill the empty spot.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So sorry for your loss Bakker. Always painful to lose one of our beloved pets, we've been through to many times.
Vale Chester

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
We've got two at present, a boy and a girl. Their personalities crack me up. Totally different from one another, but inseparable! I tell them both that I prefer dogs, and they know I'm a liar.

Be strong my friend! If you are like me, another kitten or cat will find you.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Both of mine I had to bottle feed. One of the "joys" of living in the country is talking to your food (chickens) and rescuing some inhumane moron's cast off kittens.

I shot a picture today of the chickens deciding to see what they could find to eat up close to the house!
IMG_20200405_131317207_HDR.jpg

Top Bottom