What's new

So I've recently discovered slants

The title says it all, I have recently discovered slants and I have to say once you get the angle down, they have been without question, the best bbs, irritation free shaves I have ever had. I went a little nuts and bought the current slants to try them out, all were great performers.

If you have been leary of trying one don't be, razorburn on my sensitive neck is a thing of the past. I can't say enough about them, if you haven't tried one give it a shot. Slants I've tried with either Haslinger, Stirling or B&M soaps:
Ikon X3
Merkur 37c
ATT S1 AND S2

I still would like to try a RazoRock Wunderbar but as it stands the ATT S2 is the winner as of now.

I have a 37C that gets used weekly. I find it very easily gives me a DFS every time I pick it up. I too would like to get on the Wunderbar train. It is one of the few that I want to add to my collection.

The Wunderbar is the best of the lot, IMO. The German 37 isn't far behind in performance, and it's an incredible bargain, too.

The X3 and the SC102 are too mild. They also tend to gunk up easily because the blade-to-base plate gap is so small.

The PAA Bakelite slant also gives great shaves.

I dont know how I would feel shaving with a razor that weighs virtually nothing. I like the heft of the stainless razors. Although its not exactly expensive, bleh I just talked myself into trying one!

I dont know how I would feel shaving with a razor that weighs virtually nothing. I like the heft of the stainless razors. Although its not exactly expensive, bleh I just talked myself into trying one!
If the weight really bothers you you can use one of your stainless handles with it.

My first and only slant is the Phoenix Bakelite Open Comb Slant (PB) which is currently my favorite razor (thanks for your original heads-up @matwho Mat :thumbup1:).

At $20 you can't go wrong with this mighty 16 gram baby.

upload_2017-3-15_17-29-14.png
:001_wub:

For anyone who invests in one and loves it... do come and join us at the PBB (Phoenix Bakelite Brotherhood). :biggrin1:

@DEdestroyer77 please forgive the minor digression here (I blame it on being in love).

I agree with matwho. After my first shave with my PAA BSOC, I changed my handle to the Oristo handle, and now perfection has turned to bliss.

DSC01268.JPG

Every time one of these threads comes up the more I want one. I've been looking at the Razorock German 37 and the Merkur 37C and wonder how they compare shave-wise. I'm leaning toward the Razorock because of the price and three piece design but if the shave from a Merkur is superior I may want to get one of those instead. I have a couple of open combs which have greatly reduced irritation on my neck and am looking forward to seeing what a slant does for me.

The slant design razor is a noteworthy milestone in the history of razors. I've never met a slant I didn't love! I have no idea why they are a bit controversial among some shavers.

Every time one of these threads comes up the more I want one. I've been looking at the Razorock German 37 and the Merkur 37C and wonder how they compare shave-wise. I'm leaning toward the Razorock because of the price and three piece design but if the shave from a Merkur is superior I may want to get one of those instead. I have a couple of open combs which have greatly reduced irritation on my neck and am looking forward to seeing what a slant does for me.
There are many clones of the 37c, but the RR clone comes closest to the real thing, and yes, the 3 piece design and cheap price puts it in front of the 37c without sacrificing that much of the quality of shave. IMHO the newer torqued blade designs mostly equal the shave of the 37c, but few beat it by a large margin.

There are many clones of the 37c, but the RR clone comes closest to the real thing, and yes, the 3 piece design and cheap price puts it in front of the 37c without sacrificing that much of the quality of shave. IMHO the newer torqued blade designs mostly equal the shave of the 37c, but few beat it by a large margin.

Thanks for the info, it sounds like I can't go wrong with the RR. Just added it to my cart.

I've been collecting vintage slants for near 10 years, and have tried more than I can count. The Merkur 37 was the best in my estimation until the Wunderbar. I like the ATT S-1 & S-2 very much, the Razorock Stealth DLC stainless, but the Wunderbar has become my favorite slant. YMMV.

I've been collecting vintage slants for near 10 years, and have tried more than I can count. The Merkur 37 was the best in my estimation until the Wunderbar. I like the ATT S-1 & S-2 very much, the Razorock Stealth DLC stainless, but the Wunderbar has become my favorite slant. YMMV.
Funny you should mention that, but the Wunderbar was my ONE slant that was significantly better than the 37c/39c. All the rest I tried either was not as good, equaled, or slightly better on a good day. My question I always asked about the Wunderbar in comparison to my 39c was if it was 3 times better to go along with the 3 times price? Then again, how do you put a price tag on the best?

Funny you should mention that, but the Wunderbar was my ONE slant that was significantly better than the 37c/39c. All the rest I tried either was not as good, equaled, or slightly better on a good day. My question I always asked about the Wunderbar in comparison to my 39c was if it was 3 times better to go along with the 3 times price? Then again, how do you put a price tag on the best?
The high price and the seemingly limited availability kept me away from a lot of these high end stainless DEs for the past few years. I was more into straights anyway. Coming back to DEs has brought excitement back into my shaving regimen and these 'new' stainless DEs, slants and standard, are a large part of why I'm enthusiastic.

For the average shaver, looking to save on his necessary shaving chores, these higher priced DEs, like the Wunderbar, may not make sense. But to guys who see this as a hobby, or a sport, it is like getting the newest/latest fishing rod, target pistol, fill in the blank. I see these Wunderbars come up on ebay weekly and I can only attribute that to the YMMV aspect of this pursuit. For me it is the best slant I've ever had the pleasure of shaving with.

For me it's just a matter of function and what I get out of it. My neck is very sensiive and while I get great results from normal de razors there is still a moderate level of irritation. I tried the 37c and it was a revelation because of the lack of nearly any razorburn and that was the first shave before I even learned the razor. At that point it became a matter of finding the one that is, simply, the best.

I love slants. My favorites are
Maggard Slant
iKon X3
Merkur 37c
RR German 37
I have found that the blades that work best with them are Polsilver SI, Gillette Nacet, and Feather.
I hope to try ATT S1 and/or S2 sometime soon

Top Bottom