What's new

So I've been side-by-side testing DE vs cartridge for 14 straight days.

Proglides are expensive, here in Italy they comes at € 14.50 (4-pack) but they last me 120 shaves at least. If you shave every other day (you don't need daily shaves with the Proglide) they can last up to 8 months.
Quattro Titaniums comes at € 6.50 and Mach3s € 7 (4-packs) and they are good for 80 shaves.

Clogging is a non-issue. The trick is a well hydrated lather (yogurt-like), short strokes and frequent rinses.

I certainly wasn't getting that many shaves out of mine! (I'm pretty sure I was using Proglides) I'm sure there was room for improvement in my technique, however it was enough to send me looking for alternatives, and I found DE razors which I've been happy with so far.

I have found lately that cleaning the cartridge itself in a Scrubbing Bubbles type cleaner can help to clear the area between the blades that clogs and help with the longevity of the blades.

Sounds like that lines up with the same theory mata_66 was describing above. I would always find that the clogging would be caused by hairs packing in too tightly. This was particularly so on a previous cartridge type I was using (I think it had 5 blades...can't remember which brand).

But at this point, I do enjoy the DE safety razor enough that I don't have much motivation to pull out my cartridges and try again with these new tips! :)

Yes, the idea is to run the cartridge in one direction (the opposite direction of the regular stroke). Actually the blades don't get honed but cleaned from the soap coating (your enemy) previously softened from the alcohol dip.
It sounds complicated and boring but it's just a few seconds routine, like rinsing and drying your brush.

P.S./OT: How about your Battle of Hastings project? Has it seen the light?

Good timing on this question ... many delays and setbacks popped up, owing to the whole covid-19 thing, but the final manuscript is now complete and will be going to the publisher early next week! Thanks for asking. I literally finished proofreading an hour ago.

When I started using DE, a friend told me with practice and patience I could learn to shave just as good as with a cart. And so it was. Not batter, just as good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, the Fusion Proglide is what drove me to DEs: I could never get a close shave on my cheeks and jawline, had intense post-shave burning on the neck when exercising and sweating, and had perpetual "acne" on my chin and mustache area from ingrown whiskers that became entangled under the skin.

I knew after my first ever shave with a Merkur 23c DE that I had found something better: a closer, irritation-free shave, even with the canned gel and horrible Merkur DE blades. Within two weeks, what I thought was "acne" disappeared along with the ingrown hairs.

That said, I occasionally use cartridges when forced to do so by air travel, etc. I recently bought a Trac II handle from Gillette India that works well for me with Personna Twin blades at 20 cents each, and I have found the Personna Caliber 3 blade system to be nearly as close and irritation-free as a DE.

By the way, I also use GEM SE razors and SRs. GEMs work as well as DEs for me and sometimes better, but I cannot get as close a shave from the SR on my chin and mustache area without a lot of facial contortions.

One side of face: Game Changer .84 with Polsilver. Other side of face: Fusion Proglide. Switched sides each day. 14 total shaves (two weeks).

A bit of context: I've been shaving DE for ~ 3 years. Before that, I used whatever I had on hand - cartridges, disposables, an old electric (which I hated). Recently, for unknown reasons, I got re-interested in cartridges and ordered a fresh pack of Fusion Proglide blades and have been using them on and off for a couple months, in between DE shaving.

Results of my 14 day experiment: No agenda here, nothing to prove, but here's my conclusion. The shave quality was similar between a Polsilver and a Proglide for four shaves. I always replace Polsilvers after 4 shaves, and the Proglide shave quality declines precipitously after 4, being ready for the trash after 6. But for those first four, the shave is similar and I'd have to give the edge to the Proglide as far as getting to true BBS is concerned. I found myself "cleaning up" stubborn chin stubble on the Polsilver side, which the Proglide obliterated with little effort in a few strokes. I am convinced the Proglide shaves closer than DE. As far as nicks, weepers, etc., I rarely get any with a Polsilver but I do occasionally get a small drop of blood here and there (around the neck area), but with the Proglide, absolutely no irritation or blood, anywhere, ever.

The only issue in my mind is cost. 4 shaves with a Polsilver costs about a nickle per shave. 6 shaves with a Proglide at the price I got them is $0.35 each. So there's a seven-fold increase in cost. That's not insignificant.

So on a cost basis I can understand why people are adamant about DE but aside from that I really do wonder about some of the cartridge hate out there. Proglide takes half the time for me to shave and the results are better than DE, true BBS. Although I'd have to add it is a little frustrating that that only really holds up for 4 shaves before I can start to feel the blade deterioration.
I am convinced the Proglide shaves closer than DE.

DE razors since I started shaving over 30 years now. Blackbird, Wolfman’s, Karve’s, CG’s...everything.

I always laugh at the cartridge (especially Gillette) hate out there you mention above.

With proper prep and time, not rushing as many do with carts and using great brushes and soaps, the Proglide shaves closer than any DE as you mention above including any Blackbird or R41. It just does for me. The Proglide steel is wonderful. DE’s are great too but do not match a Proglide BBS in my extensive use.

Ι have been DE shaving since 1980.
In fact I have never used cartridges till 9/11 when DEs were banned from flights (I fly very often). Shaving with cartridges is still a SERIOUS chore for me.
They shave me extremely SLOWLY cause they need constant rinsing and are problematic under the nose.
They also pull like crazy and irritate my skin.
They also don't shave as close as a DE ,but I perform a daily five minute four pass shave anyhow so closeness is a given with any razor.
Thank God for BIC metals....(for flying).

I haven't used a cart on my face in years. But I believe with everything I learned using DE, it would be much better experience than I remember it to be. My tehnique and lather were less than sub par back then. Today, would I achieve closer shave with cart? Probably yes. Would it be better? Not really. My skin loves ingrowns. And closer shave means more chance to get ingrowns. Also I still firmly believe that 5 blades do more damage to the skin than 1.

And of course we must not forget rapid deterioration of blades paired with their ridiculous price. For me there is also special joy and pride in shaving with a DE razor.

So no carts for me, thank you verry much

I have to be honest and say I shaved with a Mach 3 for years. I attempted to move up every time things changed, but always made my way back to the Mach 3. I never had any other multi blade product come close

I switched back to DE shaving a few months back, and probably won’t go back. I could stand behind the fact it’s cheaper, but the seven DE razors sitting in an aluminum test tube stand (the Rockwell twins, Mr. Jagger Sr. and Jr., the two Merkur brothers, Parker Variant) know I would be a liar. That excluded the muffled sounds of 15 vintage Gillette’s in a case under the sink. Sure blades are a lot cheaper, unless you have a crate full of feathers, Astras, Gillette Platinums and do on.

The Mach 3 gives a great shave and it’s quicker and I never cut myself. I get great shaves from my DEs and rarely nick myself. I simply enjoy the shaving experience. The soaps, the shave, the splashes and balms. I get a great shave and enjoy the 20+ minutes doing it. I get to try different things. It’s now a hobby.

if you want a fast good shave, you ain’t going to beat a Mach III. I said cost wasn’t an issue. that’s not really true. I’d simply rather spend more money on a hobby than lay down $5 for one blade. LOL

I believe the "world" or maybe the "market" has decided that cartridges are the way to go. The same is true for music, but some still prefer a turntable and vinyl. To each his own. I have used Harry's cartridges and they are fine. But a slight mishandle and I would get nicked. I prefer to choose the blade angle and gap that an adjustable Gillette (Fat Boy) can give me. I may use a 3 setting under my nose or lip and a 6 elsewhere. For contouring the cheek line of my beard, nothing beats a straight edge razor. You can't do that exacting work with a cartridge or DE. But if I awake late for an appointment and need to get out of the house in 20 minutes, the Harry's razor is there. It's nice to be able to switch.

I appreciate your write up and am glad you can switch hit. My hate for carts stemmed from irritation on my neck. I could not for the life of me find one that worked. As a result I would only shave once or twice a week. That plus the resentment of forking over a silly amount of $$$ for an experience I found so unpleasant. Now I shave daily AND enjoy it.

I don't hate carts in other's lives. Your face, your money, your business. They just won't be making an appearance in mine again.

Almost exactly my experience! A neck full of in-grown hairs is not a result I want from my morning shave and despite the excess of gear that I've accumulated over the decade since I returned to using a safety razor, it does help me feel a bit more ecologically responsible, now that the only plastic waste I'm generating is empty soap tubs.

YMMV isn't only true for "traditional" shaving products, after all if everyone using multi-blade cart/disposable razors got terrible shaves from them then nobody would buy.

I use both. I find the DE is better for mowing down the longer hairs for the initial shave and then I use a ST2 to go over the areas that need it, which is most everywhere.

Proglides are expensive, here in Italy they comes at € 14.50 (4-pack) but they last me 120 shaves at least. If you shave every other day (you don't need daily shaves with the Proglide) they can last up to 8 months.
Quattro Titaniums comes at € 6.50 and Mach3s € 7 (4-packs) and they are good for 80 shaves.

Clogging is a non-issue. The trick is a well hydrated lather (yogurt-like), short strokes and frequent rinses.

I think what you are saying is that YOU do not have to shave every day with a Proglide and YOU can get up to eight months of shave from one cartridge. My beard grows so quickly that i cannot skip a day between shaves without looking like a tramp. Witth my coarse beard, I can get about a weeks worth of shaves before it becomes too dull to cut. YMMV.

Very nice write-up! I dislike everything about cartridges, from the price, to the constant irritation on my neck, and the environmental waste.

I remember a Mach 3 lasted me 10 shaves, and I was shaving only 1-2X a week because of irritation, so a 12-pack lasted me a year for $20-30.
A cartridge razor shall never touch my face again while I live.

Folks, let's be honest here. DE shaving is a hobby. Sometimes even VERY costly. But i really think most avid proponents of DE shaving just do it for a sort of personal "pleasure" and that has nothing to do with the shave effectiveness. If you "just" care for efficiency and speed and perfect final results, cartridge razors win hands down. And you know it. On the other hand, i also firmly believe the real great added value are soaps & brushes. IMO with them you can achieve a great shave even with a 50 cent disposable BIC.

Top Bottom