What's new

So It’s Supposed To Take 100 SR Shaves...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Another thought on 100 shaves...

We learn a lot about shaving, our beard growth, etc. from any mindful learning curve in shaving. 100 shaves gives plenty of time for the associated / ancillary skills to develop. While those skills are developing, we are also learning to maintain the edge (even if not honing ourselves, stropping, and telling when an edge has started to dull is a pair of learning curves alone!). There are so many potential pitfalls, variables, and possible frustrations, telling new straight shavers that "It takes 100" is a good way to say "You won't have all of these frustrations ironed out for a good while - so be sure to stick with it long enough to get past the worst of them!"

That seems correct to me. Saying 300 shaves would scare anyone away.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
My take on this is my own experience. By 30 shaves you can shave and after 100 it is easy and you have figured how to shave your face close and comfortable. After that finesse develops and it becomes just the way you shave and the razors just keep piling up as your focus turns from shaving to acquisition ie. the rabbit hole. I’m over 350 shaves now and feel fully competent but can’t get out of that freaking hole.

My take on this is my own experience. By 30 shaves you can shave and after 100 it is easy and you have figured how to shave your face close and comfortable. After that finesse develops and it becomes just the way you shave and the razors just keep piling up as your focus turns from shaving to acquisition ie. the rabbit hole. I’m over 350 shaves now and feel fully competent but can’t get out of that freaking hole.

What a joy it is to be free from acquisitions.....lol!! :a29:

So I should stop counting my shaves now? Thereby avoiding the hole?

I don't know why it should take 100 shaves. I learned with a traditional straight with a square point. I did ful three passes, cleaning up with a DE. It took FOUR shave to lose my fear of the blade. Then around shave sixteen the penny dropped for me with respect to stretching, meaning that I pretty much nailed it.

After that I took to the Feather DX. That razor took at LEAST 100 shaves to master. A traditional straight is very forgiving by comparison.

I don't know why it should take 100 shaves. I learned with a traditional straight with a square point. I did ful three passes, cleaning up with a DE. It took FOUR shave to lose my fear of the blade. Then around shave sixteen the penny dropped for me with respect to stretching, meaning that I pretty much nailed it.

After that I took to the Feather DX. That razor took at LEAST 100 shaves to master. A traditional straight is very forgiving by comparison.

Ironically, I started with a Feather SS and progressed to a SR. Never counted shaves.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
200.jpeg

Today I competed my first two hundred SR shaves. All that means is I'm persistent and still learning how to shave with the razor. It's a long long long learning curve (at least it is if you have whiskers and a beard map like mine).

Happy shaves,

Jim

Yeah, having a moustache makes it easier on the edge and in terms of technique.
I'm probably on, say, the 700th shave (that sounds too many), but I've only ever done my top lip a score of times.

Yeah, having a moustache makes it easier on the edge and in terms of technique.
I'm probably on, say, the 700th shave (that sounds too many), but I've only ever done my top lip a score of times.

No disrespect to anyone with facial hair, but not needing to shave short side burns, chin whiskers, and moustache areas can skew any sharpening/shaving recommendations just as men with sparse or non coarse beards.

No disrespect to anyone with facial hair, but not needing to shave short side burns, chin whiskers, and moustache areas can skew any sharpening/shaving recommendations just as men with sparse or non coarse beards.
Ok, I agree.
Though, to be honest there are lots of other - probably more operative - things that can skew recommendation.

Most guys just recommend what they have because they have it.

Ok, I agree.
Though, to be honest there are lots of other - probably more operative - things that can skew recommendation.

Most guys just recommend what they have because they have it.

Yes, I agree. I wore a beard and other forms of facial hair until 2014. Shaving was without a mirror and in the shower.

Top Bottom