What's new

So It’s Supposed To Take 100 SR Shaves...

So reading on here it’s been said that it takes 100 SR shaves to get proficient at SR shaving. So are your first 50 getting your act together? What do you get better at from 50-75? Or 75-100 for that matter?

I think it comes in stages. That’s how it’s been for me, anyway. You evolve from cutting yourself a bit to not. Then, from taking a REALLY long time to shave down to a reasonable, man-time speed. Then, perfected technique across the board, with a result you appreciate. I’m not sure there’s a number as much as there’s the right amount of practice to move through each stage. Some will be quicker than others, and certain razor styles will influence the outcome (and timing of the result). Enjoy the process; that’s half of the good that comes from this discipline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It didn't take anything close to 100 or even 50 shaves to get proficient. I starting daily shaving (even on the weekends) with a SR in the beginning of February and I think I've only nicked myself once since early March. DFS or BBS every shave now regardless of the razor that I use. Granted it generally takes a 4 pass shave (WTG, XTG ear to mouth, XTG mouth to ear, WTG) to achieve this smoothness. My chin was my problem area for a while but that is not the case anymore. I can even do XTG shaves on my chin and upper lip now.

The only thing I do not do is ATG on my face. I don't want to risk the remote possibility of the blade slipping towards my eyes. I only do that stroke on my neck and throat. So to answer your question it all started to click around between shave 30 and 40.

I had my first real breakthrough at around 30 shaves.

Then another somewhere in the 75 vicinity.

I got my most recent real breakthrough right at 99.

The first one (30) made it suddenly clear that I could get a great shave this way.

The second one (~75) made it suddenly clear that I could get multiple good shaves in a row this way.

The third one (99) made it suddenly clear that I could get great shaves consistently this way.

That last point - consistent great shaves, is what I think "proficient" means in this context.

So reading on here it’s been said that it takes 100 SR shaves to get proficient at SR shaving. So are your first 50 getting your act together? What do you get better at from 50-75? Or 75-100 for that matter?

I don’t put much stock in the 100 shave concept.

If the edge isn’t right, 100 shave won’t make it right.

Developing dexterity for some is easier than others. Some will get it sooner than 100 shaves.

Using two hands means muscle memory, but that can take just a few shaves.

My advice is to start with a Folding Feather SS and get the dexterity and muscle memory going then transfer that skill set to using a straight.

I’m fully for the “stick with it 100 shaves” concept.

My last major ah-ha moments and full development of my open blade passes came after much experimentation and determination, almost exactly at 100 open blade shaves. Since then, the discovery has mostly plateaued and only really been continued refinement of technique and enjoyment in the shaves.

Some take to it more quickly than others; some never take to it. I think 100 shaves is a good point to shoot for either way.

The first 99 are a total massacre and after that it's all gravy! :001_tt2:

Seriously, I found there were distinct phases (now at ~400):

1 to 6ish - sheer terror
6 to 20 - less blood and more comfort
20 - 30 - starting to get really decent shaves and few if any mishaps
30 - 50 - more or less eliminated cuts and nicks
50 - 100 - incremental improvement in overall shave quality and general confidence
100+ - fine tuning of difficult areas and ATG pass.

I think it's more like 20 shaves for getting comfortable with the razor and for getting decent shaves beyond the cheeks. After that it's about continuing to figure out ways to get closer shaves under the nose without cutting yourself and especially for getting closer shaves around the chin.

If you have a more square chin with flatter angles you probably won't need 100 shaves. If you don't, you probably will.

It's not going to take 100 shaves before you get a close shave. As was pointed out somewhere above, it's more about taking that long to do it consistently and in a reasonable amount of time.

The 30/100 schtick is only about setting expectations for someone new to straights. Some will get to a "personally acceptable" level faster than others. And there are others (even those with goatees or mustaches, @Twelvefret) that will take longer. Everyone learns at different rates. Everyone has a different definition of "competent". So in general, 30 is a reasonable first milestone and 100 is a reasonable finish line.

As with all things in this hobby, YMMV.

The 30/100 schtick is only about setting expectations for someone new to straights. Some will get to a "personally acceptable" level faster than others. And there are others (even those with goatees or mustaches, @Twelvefret) that will take longer. Everyone learns at different rates. Everyone has a different definition of "competent". So in general, 30 is a reasonable first milestone and 100 is a reasonable finish line.

As with all things in this hobby, YMMV.
Based on posts made here by new users, this chin and lips are the most challenging

I tried to learn using a straight by only using it on the weekends when I had more time. Then I tried using a straight for the first pass or two, and then using a DE to clean up. At the end of the day, jumping between a straight and a DE was all but useless when it came to me learning how to use a straight.

I was committed to learning though, so I decided to only use a straight for a full year. It was shave with a straight, or grow a beard. I can’t tell you at what shave the transitions came at, but I recall finally becoming confident enough to stop “chopping” and start using long flowing strokes. I can recall no longer having to stress about placing the blade on the skin. I can recall marveling when I discovered I didn’t want such an aggressive angle when I shaved! I recall the glee when I could start putting on tunes and shaving to good music over the sound of the blade ringing out it’s cutting call. I recall it becoming fun! I recall no longer slicing my ear!!

I don’t know how many times I shave in a year. Maybe just a little more than 100 times, but after that year, I knew I was good to go. Perhaps more importantly is the notion that my muscle memory got it down. I can go from a DE to a straight no worries Now.

Take on the journey. It’s different for everyone, but the transitions will come and you’ll marvel at them. It is an accomplishment after all.

Good luck.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I agree with everyone, mostly.

It depends on what we are talking about and what we mean by the words. I'm only about 170 shaves into it, and I don't know anything but what I've experienced.
  • Until you have a really sharp razor the learning curve is a joke.
  • Straight razors are very dangerous. If you're afraid of yours I offer a free SR disposal service for B&B members.
  • Obtaining a truly sharp razor is not as easy as I thought it would be.
  • Some shaving videos are helpful but some aren't. Don't trust everything you hear or see.
  • It's incredibly hard to figure out how to approach some areas. That's just normal, but it's frustrating. Sorry.
  • Honing and everything associated with it is a huge rabbit hole. Expensive. Incredibly interesting. Challenging. Satisfying.
  • Many so called shave ready razors you can buy aren't sharp and shave ready, but some are.
  • The advice saying you should learn to shave well and then learn to hone is good advice but how in the world anybody makes that happen without buying truly shave ready sharp razors (pleural) and finding a truly good honer to help out by keeping the razors sharp for you is a big question or two.
  • Unless you already know how to strop and have a good strop you're likely to dull your razors by stropping them wrong. This only takes one bad move.
  • A great soap and a very wet lather really help.
  • Pasted strops are very helpful in getting and keeping razors sharp.
  • Lots of people never make it go a hundred shaves with the straight razor.
  • My shaves with a straight razor are pretty good on a pretty consistent basis as long as I have and use a sharp razor (now I mean), but they're still not as close as my safety razor shaves would be.
  • Straight razor shaves are a lot more comfortable.
  • Straight razor shaving takes a long time on a daily basis but it does become a little faster, gradually.
  • Even with a sharp straight razor I have to do a million passes on my wiry old whiskers.
  • Goal Number One with the Straight Razor: Keep the blood inside your skin.
  • Goal Number Two with the Straight Razor: Be patient and persistent and accept that it ain't easy.
  • Comfortable shaves trump everything.
  • Straight razors and straight razor shaving are great. It's worth it!
Ask me in another hundred shaves how long it takes to learn.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It depends on what we are talking about and what we mean by the words. I'm only about 170 shaves into it, and I don't know anything but what I've experienced.

Agree.

My goal: Achieve a smooth comfortable shave without cutting myself, consistently. Notice "quickly" is not in my goal.

Step 1 Shave without cutting yourself - most achieve this fairly early on, self motivating goal!

Step 2 Achieve a smooth shave - depends on personal preference what the definition is. Some are happy enough with a single WTG pass, some get addicted to a BBS and won't compromise.

Step 3 Achieve a comfortable shave - again, definition depends on personal preference and is sometimes related to Step 2.

When you can do these three things consistently, you have achieved what you have set out to do, but there is always room for improvement. Counting doesn't help.

Many things influence these simple steps, preparation, honing, stropping, edge maintenance, choice of SR for the day, and many more variables. 400 Plus SR shaves and I get it mostly right, most of the time, but the one thing I don't compromise on is taking my time. Every time I tried to rush it, it didn't end well (blood, irritation, patches of stubble), so if I don't have the time I use a DE.

Last edited:
Going slow, planning out each move in advance , paying attention to the angle will insure that you do not cut yourself. :thumbsup:

It’s a good idea to do a first ST pass and another with a razor with which you have confidence.

Try a knock down no detailed pass then follow with a couple SR passes.

If you shave the chin, roll the shoulder in your fingers as you move over those rounded parts.

Many things influence these simple steps, preparation, honing, stropping, edge maintenance, choice of SR for the day, and many more variables. 400 Plus SR shaves and I get it mostly right, most of the time, but the one thing I don't compromise on is taking my time. Every time I tried to rush it, it didn't end well (blood, irritation, patches of stubble), so if I don't have the time I use a DE.

I wholeheartedly agree with taking your time. It's not a quick process, it takes time to do it proper. Overtime, you develop a personal routine and will shorten the overall time needed to shave. You are not cutting corners but becoming more proficient and confident with SR shaving.

Personally, I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow a few hours after I shave, nor do I have terribly difficult facial hair to deal with on a daily basis. My routine is to shave in the evening, so I spend the necessary time on shaving (it generally takes me 15-20 minutes to strop, shave, clean-up and strop); for me shaving is more of hobby than a necessity.

I wholeheartedly agree with taking your time. It's not a quick process, it takes time to do it proper. Overtime, you develop a personal routine and will shorten the overall time needed to shave. You are not cutting corners but becoming more proficient and confident with SR shaving.

Personally, I don't have a 5 o'clock shadow a few hours after I shave, nor do I have terribly difficult facial hair to deal with on a daily basis. My routine is to shave in the evening, so I spend the necessary time on shaving (it generally takes me 15-20 minutes to strop, shave, clean-up and strop); for me shaving is more of hobby than a necessity.

You introduce an important consideration. If you have difficult, wire hard, hair, the shave will be more of a challenge both for the edge and the user. Each shave provides an opportunity to learn. Does it take 100 shaves??

What it takes is a thorough understanding of ones beard. This might take less or more than 100.

Agree.

My goal: Achieve a smooth comfortable shave without cutting myself, consistently. Notice "quickly" is not in my goal.

Step 1 Shave without cutting yourself - most achieve this fairly early on, self motivating goal!

Step 2 Achieve a smooth shave - depends on personal preference what the definition is. Some are happy enough with a single WTG pass, some get addicted to a BBS and won't compromise.

Step 3 Achieve a comfortable shave - again, definition depends on personal preference and is sometimes related to Step 2.

When you can do these three things consistently, you have achieved what you have set out to do, but there is always room for improvement. Counting doesn't help.

+1

Another thought on 100 shaves...

We learn a lot about shaving, our beard growth, etc. from any mindful learning curve in shaving. 100 shaves gives plenty of time for the associated / ancillary skills to develop. While those skills are developing, we are also learning to maintain the edge (even if not honing ourselves, stropping, and telling when an edge has started to dull is a pair of learning curves alone!). There are so many potential pitfalls, variables, and possible frustrations, telling new straight shavers that "It takes 100" is a good way to say "You won't have all of these frustrations ironed out for a good while - so be sure to stick with it long enough to get past the worst of them!"

Top Bottom