What's new

So I'm going to put on my helmet and armor and ask a ?

I had two cups today....I had to!

This morning, the damn thing "burped" on me again and this time sent me scurrying for a new shirt. Not a bad cup, but had me thinking all day. So tonight I had another....

Using the inverted method, after I added the water I capped it and still upside down, I started the press. It's very easy to plunge it until it's ready to press out, and then flip it and press it into the cup. This keeps it from burping (and ruining my shirt). I also used a lower temp water (180F). The result was a very nice cup that I felt was much smoother than anything I've had the previous few times.

Can't wait to try some different beans. Question: do local coffee shops generally sell roasted beans? I've never been a coffee shop guy, so I have no idea.

If the burp is caused by an air bubble that releases when you flip, try this: pour your hot water over the (hopefully fresh ground) grinds, allowing a 1/2 inch or so at the top for the "bloom" to develop (a way to tell the coffee is fresh is when it froths up when you add water; part of it is carbon dioxide releasing, I think.) Wait a few seconds, give it a stir (that's what the paddle thing is for, but I use a very slender spoon; something like a chopstick might work well, too.) Add more water until the coffee comes just to the top of the press, then add your cap with pre-wetted filter. I do this with mine set somewhere between three and four (inverted) and end up nearly filling my cup that is around 8 oz in capacity. If you're measuring your beans you can figure out how much water to add and where to set the press initially. I use 14-15g for this size, or a little less than 2g/oz (I really should convert those oz to ml or something, and stop with the mixed system; it works in my brain though.)

If the burp is caused by an air bubble that releases when you flip,

Yup, this is what had me thinking all day. From the videos I've watched, no one ever seemed to have this problem, but only having a little bit of the plunger inserted wasn't enough to keep everything together. Pressing it all together before flipping (and removing the air bubble) was what had me ready to give it another go after dinner.

I had two cups today....I had to!

This morning, the damn thing "burped" on me again and this time sent me scurrying for a new shirt. Not a bad cup, but had me thinking all day. So tonight I had another....

Using the inverted method, after I added the water I capped it and still upside down, I started the press. It's very easy to plunge it until it's ready to press out, and then flip it and press it into the cup. This keeps it from burping (and ruining my shirt). I also used a lower temp water (180F). The result was a very nice cup that I felt was much smoother than anything I've had the previous few times.

Can't wait to try some different beans. Question: do local coffee shops generally sell roasted beans? I've never been a coffee shop guy, so I have no idea.

I feel that 180F is a bit too low (although I know there are folks out there that swear by brewing at lower temps). Once the hot, just boiled, water (about 201-203ish) hits the grinds and aeropress container, you will drop about 10F I'm thinking. I would measure temp -v- time, but I can't think of a way to get a probe in the water/grind mass without destroying an aeropress.

Glad your having fun and drinking a good cup of coffee!

-jim

I would measure temp -v- time, but I can't think of a way to get a probe in the water/grind mass without destroying an aeropress.

If you brew it inverted, inserting a probe (!!!) shouldn't be an issue. I'll try it next time and see what kind of temp drop happens.

Purely in the interest of science, I brewed another cup tonight. Using my thermometer I heated the water to exactly 200F. The water/grinds mixture? 170F, a full 30 degrees lower.

I do still like the taste better with a lower (starting) temp. I feel like the higher temp is a harsher flavor.

Purely in the interest of science, I brewed another cup tonight. Using my thermometer I heated the water to exactly 200F. The water/grinds mixture? 170F, a full 30 degrees lower.

I do still like the taste better with a lower (starting) temp. I feel like the higher temp is a harsher flavor.

Recommended is 190 to 198 degrees.

Anywhere in there is usually fine.

That dropped a lot more then I would have thought. It's good that you like a coffee brewed at a low temp, because that is the way that it is. :laugh:

If I remember, I will try the same thing with my Clever tomorrow morning. There is a good chance I will not remember.

-jim

Well, here's something that might surprise (or not).

I did a brew with a lower temp today (185F, I let it go to long for my usual 180) and again I measured the temp of the water as it "stewed" in the grounds for 30 secs. Same as above: 170F.

Two is barely a sample size, but I found it interesting the water/grounds mixture was the same with two different water temps. I'll certainly try it again tomorrow.

I've used an Aeropress for 7-8 years, and never understood the need to "flip" it. I've seen videos of people doing this, but to me it's kind of silly, messy, and risky. Maybe because I'm not coordinated enough to do it. If you haven't tried this, I would suggest that you limit the amount of water you push through the ground beans to maybe 1 oz. This really improves the coffee.

For one cup, after putting in your coffee, try filling the container with hot water up to the "1" mark and stirring at least 30 seconds before pressing out your brew. Some people advocate taking as long to do the press as you do the stir. Then fill your mug with hot water, ala an Americano. This makes a much better Americano than most coffee places I've visited--depending on the coffee you are using, you could just drink it as if it were an espresso. The paper filter removes most of the oil, however. Try this method at least once. I'd be interested in hearing whether you like it.

Top Bottom