What's new

So I want to start exploring whisky.

My advice is to find a good package store that has lots of different 50ml sample bottles and try a bunch. True, not everything cones that way, and there are fewer scotches than most things, but it can give you a cheap taste of something before you go to the bottle.

My my wife is a MM fan, but she has been sampling other bourbons this way recently. I don't think she has found anything to change her preference yet and we are not stuck with bottles of unwanted booze.

Last edited:
...or go to a good pub/bar/restaurant that you know has good whiskey and try some there. Much cheaper way to experiment.

Lots of good recommendations so far. In terms of Canadian Whiskey - I'm not sure what's available in most states, but if you can get your hands on any of the Forty Creek Special Release bottles, particularly the Confederation Oak, or the Double Barrel those are wonderful.

In terms of Canadian rye, nothing beats Lot 40, IMHO.

well, I just cracked the buffalo trace.. I can't begin to describe it. it's very similar to the Concannon Irish but is has an afternote that's different. Not smokey, but different

Four Roses is great, cheap as well. I also like Jim Beam White (£15), you can keep your £50 bottles of single malt! If you must go single malt, I would recommend Glenmorangie; it's not too smoky - I find the really smoky ones (Jura, Talisker) undrinkable.

I recently tried TX Whiskey (from Texas, of course). I, by no means, have a refined liquor palate, but I thought it was very good. I will be buying it soon.

I have liked Powers Special Reserve, Redbreast, and Green Spot.

My first whisky was Aberlour 10. It was fairly smooth, which helped with the shock of trying neat whisky for the first time. It's also ridiculously well-priced here in the lead up to Christmas and New Year. A good starter, in my opinion, because it's not the best you'll taste. It's still rough round the edges, so will help you distinguish some differences between a good whisky and a great one later on.

The next whisky I would recommend is Glenmorangie. Smoother than the above but slightly more expensive. That said, this is probably the first whisky with an affordable price that makes you think, "Wow. This stuff is classy."

Islay would be my next port of call for whisky. There are so many options available with Islay but all with a similar defining character. Smoke. If you're into the tasting side of things, being able to identify the different characteristics of your whisky is a big thing. Smoke is one of the first things you'll be able to get a handle on. Laphroaig will throw you in the deep end, with regards to both the peat content and the fact it tastes unlike the previous two mentioned.

My final suggestion is one I've only recently stumbled upon myself. Hibiki 12 year old is perhaps the best blend I have ever tried. A truly wonderful whisky from Japan that, despite the controversy surrounding the whole Scotch definition of Japanese whisky, tastes more like Scotch than whiskies from the rest of the UK.

I prefer Scotch, there is a huge range and the single malts especially can all have their own individual charateristics and flavours. Blended whisky is OK, and Famous Grouse is perfectly palatable, but I find the malts to be more interesting.

Glenmorangie 10 is a very easy-drinking whisky, as is Glenfiddich 12. Of the two I prefer the Glenmorangie, but they're both friendly and easy to drink. Balvenie Doublewood 12 is also excellent and it's finished in sherry casks which adds another dimension. Highland Park 12 introduces a touch of peat and smoke without being overwhelming.

It's probably worth trying a couple of the lighter Scotches at first as some of the island ones are definitely an acquired taste and can be off-putting at first. It's generally accepted that older whisky is better, but it's down to personal preference. As an example, I've tried Glendronach 15, 18 and 21 and for me the 15 is the best of the bunch. Generally the older a whisky is the smoother and softer it is, but sometimes I like the vigour of the younger spirit.

As for drinking, adding ice kills the flavour. Scotch is IMO best served at room temperature and, like a brandy, it improves when warmed in the hand to release the aroma. I'd initially taste it straight, then try adding a drop of water which can enhance the more subtle flavours and will reduce the alcohol burn if you find it too much. Personally I prefer it without the water.

Irish

Tullamore Dew (20 for the bottle, 30-40 for the cool ceramic jug)
Redbreast 12 (around 50)
Bushmills 12 (also around 50 I think)

Scotchy Scotch Scotch

Lowland - Auchentoshan
Speyside - Aberlour
Highland - Highland Park

For Irish Jameson 12yr. is hard to beat

most scotches differ from the ones from Islay, ones from Islay are heavy on the smell and taste of peat.

I began a similar exploration myself just in the last couple of weeks. I am coming from a very minimal background of liquor consumption. I don't care for beer, but maybe I can overhaul that taste, too.

Tasted Wild Turkey 101 at a friend's. Thought it was a little hot. Enough interest to press ahead with actually buying something.

Thus far, I have bought Buffalo Trace, Four Roses Small Batch, and Woodford Reserve. Enjoying those pretty evenly.

Went to another friend's. Had very small tastes of Maker's Mark, Canadian Club 12, Pendleton, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, and Laphroaig Quarter Cask. Of these, the one I kind of want to revisit is the Glenfiddich. The others I didn't care for. The Laphroaig, with its peaty flavor, was absolutely wretched to me. I can't see myself getting into peaty scotches. Did I mention it was burning rubber & old band-aid wretched? Wretched. :biggrin1:

And last night, I bought The Macallan 12. That is much more accessible for a newbie bourbon guy like me.

Next on my radar is The Balvenie DoubleWood 12, Knob Creek, and a rye whiskey.

I'm having a lot of fun checking this out, sipping out of a Glencairn glass, trying not to look too pretentious. Usually neat, occasionally a few drops of water. No ice.

In the last year, I've taken up wet shaving, hot tea, and now whisk(e)y. I'm 45, but maybe I'll be able to run with the big boys one of these days.:001_cool:

Hey there. Just starting this process myself. A friend of mine let me try some pappy van winkle 20 yr and of course it was great. I started researching and picked up a bottle of larceny and a bottle of Blantons (the first classy bourbon I ever had).

Larceny is similar to Wellers and makers mark in that it's got wheat instead of rye. wellers is impossible to find now because some dang fool wrote an article telling everyone that weller 12 is baby pappy. The same friend brought me some buffalo trace and I liked it slightly better than the larceny.

I'm rambling here. Try Blanton's, it's worth it at least once at about 50 bucks, and the bottle looks sitting out on your bar/counter/China cabinet.

I just got into scotch too. First bottle was balvenie double wood (nobody seems to dislike this stuff including me). I also got a little glenmorangie sampler that includes the 10 year as well as the nectar d'or and the port and sherry finished versions. The Nector D'or is the best whisky I've ever had. it's 12 year scotch finished in Sauternes barrels. (think chateau d'yquiem type desert wines). It's not sweet, but it has that feel and smell.

Glenlivet 12 was perfectly drinkable as well. Some look down on it. It's not peated like laphroig.

Next on my list is lagavulin 16 or talisker 10. I'm ready to move into the smokier stuff now.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422727940.774063.jpg

Last edited:
Don't discount Scotch blends, especially when you're trying to introduce yourself to Scotch. I am biased to Famous Grouse, which I believe is a fantastically complex blend at an incredible price point. If you feel you must go Single Malt, Glenfiddich 12 is a good start. I like the analogy of the Veg and being "chosen" to Islay Scotch; this is something you are going to love or hate. As my roommate so eloquently stated when he took a sip of my Laphroiag, "I feel like I'm drinking a campfire." Bowmore is a cheap intro to Islay's and will either immediately turn you off to them, or may intrigue you enough to try some of the best whisky Scotland has to offer (disclaimer, I am a huge Islay fan and the Laphroaig Quarter Cask cannot be beat in my book.)

Trader Joe's has Bowmore with no age statement. A perfectly decent hooch and you will know instantly if you are the "chosen" with Islays.

+1 The Bowmore Legend (no age statement) does a good job representing the characteristics of the Islay family at a bargain basement price.

As far as the Irish go, I'd start with the single pot still offerings. Redbreast 12 and Green Spot

Americans tend to be very snobby about their Scotch, and prefer the unblended ones. I challenge any Scotch afficionado, to do a blind taste between between your unblended, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich, Oban, or whatever, with the blended Famous Grouse. You might be in for a pleasant surprise.

Top Bottom