What's new

So I... uh... forcefully rethreaded a Rockwell 6S handle.

Long story short - Rockwell sent me a replacement 6S handle because of some issues I was having with mine. Rather than throw the old (and faulty) handle in the trash, I decided to grab a cheap Signature Shaving Co. head off of ebay to use with the old 6S handle. It... did... not... fit. It tried to cross-thread almost immediately upon attempting to mate the pieces together.

But I was not to be deterred. I grabbed my wife's rubber oven mitt for extra traction, and I cranked the Signature Shaving head all the way down onto the 6S handle. It was nearly impossible to remove after doing so, but I was able to remove it and repeat the threading procedure several times until everything loosened up. Now the two parts fit just fine, but I fear I've ruined both of them for any other future mates. Haha.

Well, that was a way to do it, I guess. I think I would have gone to the hardware store and pick up a tap and chased that Rockwell handle.

I have never had a happy future after forcing threads. The threads on the head you bought are likely softer than the threads in the sintered stainless steel 6S handle. Even though the threads in the handle were faulty, it is not likely they will be improved. Rather, it is more likely the threads on the head will be damaged. An alternative would have been to buy a stainless steel screw at the hardware store and chase the handle threads with it. 10-32 would have been a good choice. M5 x .8 would do, too. A tap would have been ideal, but a screw is a lot less expensive, unless you want to own a tap.

Top Bottom