What's new

So I Love Them, How Do They Do It?

I am 83 years old now and have been shaving for most of them I have tried about all the major products and I have found that I really like the vibrating disposable head razors ( Fusion Pro Glide and Schick Hydro 5). I have a question that I posted at a different site and no one could answer. How do vibrators actually improve a shave? Or do they?. I have seen many theories but no one has come up with the actual reason that Gillette and Schick came up with these models. I know, I know, MONEY. But is there any actual evidence that they work and it is not all in the head of the user?

I think if they actually had a good purpose, Gillette would be telling people why it is so much better.

There are lots of theories. I think the principal reason is to provide a sliding action of the blades to help cut through the hairs more easily.

HOWEVER, in the past when I used those razors, I experimented with shaving one side of my face with the vibration mechanism off and the other with it on, and I could never tell the difference in the shave at all. I did believe that the vibrating one, even with the vibration off, shaved better than the non-vibrating one. I am convinced that the reason was that the handle was heavier because of the battery. So you may be thinking the vibrating razor shaves better because it vibrates, when in fact the reason it shaves better is because of its weight.

Another theory that I had at that time was that they made them vibrate so that your nerve cells would carry the vibration signal to the brain, thus blocking out the sensation of pulling/tugging that is inherent in razor cartridges, especially when they have a few days' use on them.

I recently finally tossed out the last of those razors; a vibrating Mach 3.

The razor picture posted above is a Stahly live blade razor. Much better razor, in my opinion, than any of the modern vibrating razors.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I thought I heard on the commercial that they vibrate the hairs causing them to lift and therefore create a smoother closer shave.

Bout as useful as adding a 6th blade if you ask me

I have never used a vibrating razor but the first thing that comes to mind is my first haircut in the late 50's with a hair clipper

I have experienced the masking effect the sound of the vibrator has. It covered up the scraping sound I got as the razor shaved without it. I also saw a TV show where Mario Batalli demonstrated how to sharpen a chefs knife. He used a steel but said that after a while the knife had to be sharpened on a stone to restore the micro grooves on its edge. After that the edge gets a polishing with finer abrasives I guess and then the steel. Wondered if vibration served the same purpose maybe.

I think the vibrating head on the cartridge was a superior shave to the standard due to comfort not so much performance. The vibrations took the hair away from the face causing less friction and an easier shave. Again a DE razor is a better shave but the vibration felt like you could get in closer being more comfortable.

I used the vibrating fusion. The only time it worked noticeably different than non vibrating was when I had 4+ days growth. Other than that, no difference. But the vibration felt good on my face.

My friend uses the Gillette vibrating fusion and swears by it. A couple of months ago I persuaded him to try DE shaving. I gave him soaps, creams, a brush, bowl and 4 different brands of blades. All he had to do was buy a razor. I gave him several suggestions for a good starting razor (Edwin Jagger, Muhle and Merkur) and he also watched a lot of the videos on Youtube. The next thing I knew he put in an order for a Mergress. I was shocked that he would spend that much for a starter razor after not using a DE razor in many, many years. After using it only occasionally he decided that he could not get the technique down. He said that he got a closer shave with the vibrating fusion. I think its more psychological due to the vibrating, lol. He gave me the Mergress (lucky me) free of charge. Oh well, his choice and his loss.

Last edited:
I never try to convert cartridge shavers, for two reasons:

1) I don't know how steep the learning curve is, and I cannot advise them, never having used a modern cartridge razor myself.

2) Multi blade cartridge razors really may be better for some people, and why then would I want to push them to an outdated technology? Again, I cannot judge from personal experience.

Anyway, modern razors may be better indeed (but I have no desire to try it), and maybe the vibrations make for an improved shave indeed. My guess is that they would make the hairs stand up more.

Juat as in DE shaving there is a learning curve to using the larger handle and flatter, deeper head of the vibrators. My personal favorite razor is the Schick Hydro 5. The slick lube strip really makes it slip effortlessly through lathered stubble. With 5 blades it is quite deep and the trick is to keep it flat on the face and rub repeatedly on each pass, even after most of the lather is gone. It just needs a bit to keep that lube strip wet. The result is almost bbs and no danger of a nick or scrape. Of course my whiskers may be softer and I do not get ingrown. But I have loose skin and wrinkles that are difficult to handle with a DE. Need a lot of stretching of the skin. Closest shave of all comes from a Feather blade in my Futur, but that also results in frequent use of my styptic to staunch the blood.

Juat as in DE shaving there is a learning curve to using the larger handle and flatter, deeper head of the vibrators. My personal favorite razor is the Schick Hydro 5. The slick lube strip really makes it slip effortlessly through lathered stubble. With 5 blades it is quite deep and the trick is to keep it flat on the face and rub repeatedly on each pass, even after most of the lather is gone. It just needs a bit to keep that lube strip wet. The result is almost bbs and no danger of a nick or scrape. Of course my whiskers may be softer and I do not get ingrown. But I have loose skin and wrinkles that are difficult to handle with a DE. Need a lot of stretching of the skin. Closest shave of all comes from a Feather blade in my Futur, but that also results in frequent use of my styptic to staunch the blood.

I hope I am open to using modern products when I am old and wise...:wheelchair:

Top Bottom