What's new

So I just started Crossfit and I'm feeling good.....

Yeah, so today was my first official crossfit training day. Kicked my butt, but I felt really good. I have been working out for about 15 years, but just your typical weight lifting regimen. Until crossfit, I never realized that I was actually out of shape. Yeah, I could bench and squat and do my routine, but I am not actually fit.

Just curious if anyone here is into crossfit and could offer any advice to someone new. I guess I'm most scared of the Olympic style lifting as I never have done it before.

I'm an advocate of it's not what you do and how you do it. Most of the cross fit videos on youtube contain horrible form for the sake of reps, please don't do it like that. The worst are the ring-muscle-ups, just a bunch of morons swinging their bodies to get momentum to get up. I guess that's good for getting the heart going, but it sure as hell doesn't build any muscle.

Keep your form and lower the weight you are doing if it gets too tough to keep form. Godspeed to you sir.

I'm an advocate of it's not what you do and how you do it. Most of the cross fit videos on youtube contain horrible form for the sake of reps, please don't do it like that. The worst are the ring-muscle-ups, just a bunch of morons swinging their bodies to get momentum to get up. I guess that's good for getting the heart going, but it sure as hell doesn't build any muscle.

Keep your form and lower the weight you are doing if it gets too tough to keep form. Godspeed to you sir.

That's because they're not doing them to build muscle, same as the kipping pullup. If you want to do them to build muscle yes you're correct that kipping them isn't going to work but if you're doing them for conditioning work then speed counts, safety and form as well.

+1 i'm glad the OP enjoys it it just looks like something i would never like. Good luck to you all!!

I guess I'm not just trying it to "build muscle." I have been working out for 15 years and after one day of crossfit, I realized that I was seriously out of shape. Today was day two. Aside from the kipping pullup, it seems that form is important on most other exercises. The coach talked to me twice about my squat form during the workout.

I'm think the kipping pullup and muscle up mimic the way we would do that movement in a real world situation if we were not in a gym. It kind of makes sense to me.

Crossfit is great, I did it solid for a couple of months, I've slacked off now because of a recent move, but I love coupling it with some olympic lifts for strength and then doing the conditioning. i saw big size gains from that and just felt better than i ever have. Love crossfit, keep it up bro.

Crossfit is great if you're just starting out, you learn many different lifts, get coached on form, and don't have to worry about you programming. I found that I hit a plateau after about a year and stopped making strength gains. IMHO it's a great conditioning program, but not well suited to my personal preferences or morphology (I'm a stereotypical hardgainer who really enjoys heavy compound lifts for reference).

With that said, it's a great community, and if you keep it up you'll be in great shape. It sounds like it would fit you very well, keep at it and kick some ***.

I guess I'm not just trying it to "build muscle." I have been working out for 15 years and after one day of crossfit, I realized that I was seriously out of shape. Today was day two. Aside from the kipping pullup, it seems that form is important on most other exercises. The coach talked to me twice about my squat form during the workout.

I'm think the kipping pullup and muscle up mimic the way we would do that movement in a real world situation if we were not in a gym. It kind of makes sense to me.
One of the great things about Crossfit is that most well-designed workouts have an uncanny way of exposing whatever weakness(es) you might have. When I was doing Crossfit, Wallballs and pullups just killed me, but I could smoke other parts of whatever workout I was doing. Over time, I got better. I think if you stick with it, you will see good progress over time--and find your self in better shape as well.

As far as kipping pullups go, they are a lousy movement. They are Glassman's take on how to get more work out of a movement (like the "American" kettlebell swing") but have potentially serious side effects, as do high rep box jumps and glute ham raises (two other Crossfit staples). My advise would be to stick to regular pullups. I don't want to seem like I'm ranting against Crossfit (I'm not), I just have a problem with a few of their movements.

Good luck with your training!

One of the great things about Crossfit is that most well-designed workouts have an uncanny way of exposing whatever weakness(es) you might have. When I was doing Crossfit, Wallballs and pullups just killed me, but I could smoke other parts of whatever workout I was doing. Over time, I got better. I think if you stick with it, you will see good progress over time--and find your self in better shape as well.

As far as kipping pullups go, they are a lousy movement. They are Glassman's take on how to get more work out of a movement (like the "American" kettlebell swing") but have potentially serious side effects, as do high rep box jumps and glute ham raises (two other Crossfit staples). My advise would be to stick to regular pullups. I don't want to seem like I'm ranting against Crossfit (I'm not), I just have a problem with a few of their movements.

Thanks! I am like two weeks in now and already am feeling better. I have noticed a definite improvement in my cardio, even after only two weeks. Like you said, some weaknesses have been exposed. I seem to die out real quick with any extensive squatting. Box jumps, pullups, I'm good, but squatting seems to tire me out fast!

I'm still torn on the kipping pullup. I still feel like it is a natural, real world movement, but the high reps are what seem unnatural.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Good post. I am definitely a fan of circuit training. I like mixing it up and keeping a high intensity on most days. But when I am incorporating strength and body building exercises, proper form is an absolute must. Especially as you start getting older in years.

I have been doing it four several months now. I love the competition aspect of it. I was pretty skeptical of all that power lifting at first, but now that I've scaled and built back up to the standars I feel great. I hit a PR on "Elizabeth" yesterday at 4 min 18 sec.

I thought I'd revive this thread as I didn't see another "crossfit" dedicated thread. I've now been doing Xfit for well over a year and my gains have been incredible. I'm in the best shape of my life at 36. My strength and endurance have increased dramatically. I'm an addict and can't get enough.

I'm no longer scared of the lifts. IN fact, I see snatches in the workout I'm pumped!

Still, I'm small, so I'm a body weight guy....bring it on Cindy. :thumbup1:

49 here and I'm at about 6 years in and continue to get stronger and in better shape, it just takes longer now then how it did when I started.

I'm the old little guy at the gym, or if you talk to the fat arse rugby players the old skinny puke but they're just ticked I out squat and deadlift them.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I started in June after considering it for the last 2 years. I had some disc issues in my lower back that I was worried about re-injurying but the extra core work and the mobility work has really helped. It is true that the programing shines a spotlight on any weaknesses. For some reason most of my muscle mass is in my lower body so pull ups, knees to elbows, and high reps of pushups are my achilles.

Nice work, there is a Crossfit gym here that some of my co-workers go to but the prices are a little steep for me($150 bucks a month unlimited or $90 a month for 2 a week).

Some advice for you with Crossfit is make sure your form is good. Especially in the Olympic lifting. A lot of people are doing their workout for time and try to do the exercises as fast as possible(or there are lots of reps and your form suffers when you fatigue) to beat their personal record. Well that's a good way to hurt yourself.

Top Bottom