What's new

So I just started Crossfit and I'm feeling good.....

I started in June after considering it for the last 2 years. I had some disc issues in my lower back that I was worried about re-injurying but the extra core work and the mobility work has really helped. It is true that the programing shines a spotlight on any weaknesses. For some reason most of my muscle mass is in my lower body so pull ups, knees to elbows, and high reps of pushups are my achilles.

If you are having lower back issues of any kind, look into "foundation training." They have a dvd, a book and a bunch of youtube videos. Honestly, it changed my life. I hurt my back from a combination of crossfit and carrying my son. I thought that I was going to be rehabbing for months...I could barely walk.

Within a week of the foundation program, I was back in the gym lifting, jumping, running, etc. I was shocked and it is now part of my maintenance routine. Check it out...I think it could help.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Things a re good now. I hurt it about 4 years ago doing some jump training, I let it go way longer than I should have but eventually got things straightened out. What I didn't want was to reinjure myself, which is why I put off joining for so long.

Things a re good now. I hurt it about 4 years ago doing some jump training, I let it go way longer than I should have but eventually got things straightened out. What I didn't want was to reinjure myself, which is why I put off joining for so long.

I think the potential for injury in crossfit is pretty high for a variety of reasons, such as poor WOD programming, performing complex, such as power cleans or snatches, for reps and time leads to executing the lifts while in a state of fatigue which in turn will promote poor form in favor of hustling through the lift in order to finish with the best time possible, and so on.

I like the concept of general physical preparedness, but considering that programming and coaching vary wildly between Crossfit boxes (even though the same certification is administered to every trainer) it's tough to know whether you're at a good one or not until it's too late.

Having said the above, I agree that Crossfit will provide a framework for most to improve their lifts. Getting comfortable with the movements can't be overstated enough.

I think the potential for injury in crossfit is pretty high for a variety of reasons, such as poor WOD programming, performing complex, such as power cleans or snatches, for reps and time leads to executing the lifts while in a state of fatigue which in turn will promote poor form in favor of hustling through the lift in order to finish with the best time possible, and so on.

I like the concept of general physical preparedness, but considering that programming and coaching vary wildly between Crossfit boxes (even though the same certification is administered to every trainer) it's tough to know whether you're at a good one or not until it's too late.

Having said the above, I agree that Crossfit will provide a framework for most to improve their lifts. Getting comfortable with the movements can't be overstated enough.

I could not agree more and would advise anyone looking into crossfit to visit more than one box before "signing up." I know that where I started, there was a three day on ramp program and that was it. Very little coaching on proper form for lifts. I had no idea what I was doing and could have easily gotten injured. I had a bad feeling so I decided to try a different box.

At my current box, they offer a "beginner" program that lasts as long as you need it to. Could be one week or three months. You cannot move on to "crossfit" untiil you are proficient in all the lifts and the coaches feel you are ready. Coaches are much more in tune with what is going on and actually coach. I have never seen anyone get injured in the year+ I have been going. In the one month I was at the other place I saw two people get hurt.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hey Jason what shoes do you wear for lifting? I've been wearing NB Minimus' and VFFs but I think it's time to add something with a wedged heal.

Hey Jason what shoes do you wear for lifting? I've been wearing NB Minimus' and VFFs but I think it's time to add something with a wedged heal.

Assuming I'm the Jason in question I have a pair of Rogue Do-Wins that I wear for weightlifting and a pair of VFFs for everything else.

Crossfit has changed my life. I started July 27, 2012, weighing @ 205lbs, 38 inch waist @ 5'9. My wife wanted to join, I was hesitant but needed to get in shape. I was overweight, I knew it. The first week was an eye opener. I was in horrible shape. I couldn't run well, I could do maybe 1 strict pullup, every day was hell, but I liked it.

I kept at it, religiously 4-5 days a week. In the beginning coaches were always pushing me, now they stop by, make sure my form is correct, and move on to the other folks in the class. Supplemented the training with an Oly class. Working on my Snatch and C&J.

14 months later, I am @ 173 lbs, 32 inch waist. I am in the best shape of my life. Glad I found it, if you are Miami, drop into my box. iamcrossfit.com

Top Bottom