What's new

So I got a TOBS sampler...

Nice overview of the TOBS creams. I've tried many of them, with middling results for most. I couldn't stand their lavender, while their grapefruit is one of my favorite creams. The rest were, for me, so-so; for a great cream, I usually go to Speick.

Tried the Almond, Grapefruit and Coconut

I had difficulty building a lasting lather with the Almond and Grapefruit. Coconut was better but I still had issues. I was using a different brush and water supply so it could be that.

The Almond and Grapefruit scents didn't last long. And the grapefruit actually didn't smell as good to me during the end of the shave. Coconut scent was nice during the shave but it had excellent post shave properties.

So far I'm really liking the Sandalwood and Lavender. I have about five more to go after which I may trade this out for a tub of the "winner" :)

I've tried the Rose, Eton College, and Mr Taylor flavours so far.
I like all three but I wish the Rose scent was stronger.
The Sandalwood is definitely on my Fendrihan wish list for my next order.
great report!!
TOBS creams are great!
thanks!

View attachment 889963
That's a good idea - using the Wee Scot for the samplers. Or is that a vendor's photo?
I find that a Wee Scot holds just enough TOBS cream when I charge it from the tub.

I've had most of the TOBS shaving creams. I am a fan of rose and sandalwood scents. Even so the only TOBS cream I still use is Jermyn Street. Many of the other scents, like Eton, S:t James and Mr Taylor, have about the same scent as Jermyn Street at least to me, but to me Jermyn Street has the edge performance and scent wise.

Rose is too sweet to be to my liking. There are other rose scented shaving creams and soap that outperform it both in scent and performance (Trumper cream, Dusy Kabinett and D.R. Harris cream)

I also find the legendary TOBS Sandalwood to be too sweet. I prefer Proraso, AOS, Trumper cream, C&E (discontinued), T&E, and D.R. Harris.

Tried the Almond, Grapefruit and Coconut

I had difficulty building a lasting lather with the Almond and Grapefruit. Coconut was better but I still had issues. I was using a different brush and water supply so it could be that.

The Almond and Grapefruit scents didn't last long. And the grapefruit actually didn't smell as good to me during the end of the shave. Coconut scent was nice during the shave but it had excellent post shave properties.

So far I'm really liking the Sandalwood and Lavender. I have about five more to go after which I may trade this out for a tub of the "winner" :)
In my experience, the disappearing lather comes from using too little product no matter what cream or soap is used. This is often the case when samples are being tested. Maybe try a little more cream next time. I have never found an issue with any TOBS cream, but I tend to use too much of everything when I have a full size container. Best Wishes.

I've tried the Rose, Eton College, and Mr Taylor flavours so far.
I like all three but I wish the Rose scent was stronger.
The Sandalwood is definitely on my Fendrihan wish list for my next order.

That's a good idea - using the Wee Scot for the samplers. Or is that a vendor's photo?
I find that a Wee Scot holds just enough TOBS cream when I charge it from the tub.

thx, i'll use any brush in the barn with samplers, just scoop out a dollop into a mug!

In my experience, the disappearing lather comes from using too little product no matter what cream or soap is used. This is often the case when samples are being tested. Maybe try a little more cream next time. I have never found an issue with any TOBS cream, but I tend to use too much of everything when I have a full size container. Best Wishes.
Thanks for the suggestion Bhugo. I used this approach this morning and BOOM - lather galore!

Used Mr Taylor this morning and liked the scent and performance. It occurred to me that TOBS creams all present their scents very differently during and and after the shave compared to in the tubs! None more so that Lemon & Lime.

Mr Taylor's scent lasted about half a day. Post shave felt great but felt like it left residue behind (even though I rinse, alum rub, rinse, witch hazel). Wasn't a bad feeling but not as clean as some of the others. Of course, this could be due to my technique so take it with a grain of salt.

Used Eton College. I think I have the technique dialed in with TOBS. Use a bit more product (big almond size) and slowly add more water than I think I should as I build the lather.

The scent is nice and I do detect some citrus. The scent lasts less than half a day after which point it is completely gone. The scent is mild to begin with so this isn't too surprising. Post shave is not as good as some of the others I've tried, but still quite nice and better than (for me) Proraso for example. Didn't detect any residue like with yesterday's Mr. Taylor.

Used Rose this morning. Scent is pleasant and not "perfumey". Still probably wouldn't buy a tub of it as it isn't a scent I see myself wearing. However, I liked it better than I thought and moreso than some of the more "cologne" like TOBs scents.

Performance during the shave and post were excellent. I feel like I'm consistently lathering TOBs creams correctly now.

I’ve only ever tried and bought the Sandalwood. TOBS makes dummy proof lathers, they are a great soap for beginners and pros.

Thanks for your reviews!
Sandalwood and Peppermint have both done very well for me. The Lemon/Lime didn't lather well no matter how I tried, but it smelled fine. That Cedar sounds really cool.

Used Cedarwood this morning. Scent is complex and pleasant on the verge of being cologne like. I couldn't help but wonder why this wasn't as popular as the Sandalwood even though I admit I preferred the Sandalwood. Had an excellent shave, lather was superb. I suspect scent will linger for a while.

I realize why the Lemon & Lime sample doesn't smell as good as my tub of it - the sample is rather dry. Much more so than the rest of the samples.

One more sample to go - St James tomorrow!

A quick FYI, the samplers will dry out due to the lack of a good deal. My tubs haven’t dried up, but my unused samples(from Christmas) are pretty solid now, and have been since March.
The caps don’t have enough thread to place an o-ring on the container, which is what I had initially hoped to do for travel. I have looked at putting some silicone on the inside of the cap, but haven’t done it yet.

A quick FYI, the samplers will dry out due to the lack of a good deal. My tubs haven’t dried up, but my unused samples(from Christmas) are pretty solid now, and have been since March.
The caps don’t have enough thread to place an o-ring on the container, which is what I had initially hoped to do for travel. I have looked at putting some silicone on the inside of the cap, but haven’t done it yet.

Agreed. My full sized tub has lasted 3 years now. Still as good as the day I first opened it. I’ve started 3017ing it just to move it along...it’s a diminishing donut shape at this point!

Good points and I'm glad to know the tubs last so long!

The cedarwood scent I used yesterday lasted about half a day...

Used the last sample this morning: St James. It is a pleasant "soapy, clean" scent without a hint of being like a perfume or cologne. Lather, performance and post shave were all excellent.

However I have made up my mind on my favorites. They are, in no particular order

Lemon & Lime
Sandalwood and
Lavender

Each of the scents was very good and I could see why anyone might have them as their favorites. Some scents are more complex as well as longer lasting than others. All but the scents are different (some very much so - the Lemon & Lime is a great example) when being used than in the tub. TOBS creams seem to perform equally well, with the differences being in the post shave feeling on the face.

Time to trade this sampler in for one of my favorites FT - TOBS sampler for TOBS Sandalwood or Lavender . Hopefully someone else can enjoy them and find a favorite. Thanks for accompanying me on this journey

Top Bottom