What's new

So I go to Costco, and they have a freebie....

Seriously? They're claiming five weeks per cart?

Man, I'd been thinking about giving up one enjoyable shave to science, but almost forty? Egads!

IRRC, I got about a week or so per cart before the big switch.

Well, if you read the fine print their five weeks is 4 shaves per week; so it's more like 20. C'mon, if this guy (who ever he is) can do it, you can too!

Last edited by a moderator:
I generally get a free headache and complimentary ulcer from trying to navigate my local Costco.

What genius decided to have sample carts at all the choke points? I've heard brains actually falling out of the skulls of normally intelligent, considerate people, who then become sample seeking Zombies, oblivious to the mayhem the cart blockage is causing, the lust for a small paper cup with a sample of instant carnitas or yogurt rendering them blind and deaf to the suffering and anger of others.

I've often thought the little toothpicks in the samples should be larger, so outraged blocked shoppers could use them as stakes, and drive them through the hearts of the undead, slavering, lip-smacking, sample seeking cretins, before they can move on to aimlessly wandering around trying to find a trash can for the little paper cup....

But today it was a Free Proglide.

Thank you, you made my day :lol:

Well, if you read the fine print their five weeks is 4 shaves per week; so it's more like 20. C'mon, if this guy (who ever he is) can do it, you can too!

I've got more hair on my knuckles than he has on his face.

Regards,

Vickers Baggins

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep...thats what mine gets used for. When I had to do the dreadful shave prior to my vasectomy i thought, 'hell that was easy, and not freightening at all.' Then I found that I kind of like it, and my intimate friends appreciate it too :w00t:

Too much information for this old guy. :scared:

I used Mach III's and Fusions for years and got great shaves but I find the price point on these systems obscene and insulting. When I lost access to low priced Mach III cartridges the Fusion obscenity drove me to DE's.

Now that I've learned to use a DE I will never use a cart again. Not even for travel. I find the appearance, marketing, packaging, and performance of that product unacceptable. If they sold cartridges for $1 each I'd still pass.

Yep...thats what mine gets used for. When I had to do the dreadful shave prior to my vasectomy i thought, 'hell that was easy, and not freightening at all.' Then I found that I kind of like it, and my intimate friends appreciate it too :w00t:

Wow, many things go through my mind...
1. Intimate FriendS? I have been married so long, that took a minute to register.
2. Try a Travel Tech, works well.
3. LOVE the Burning Beard Quote, one of my favorite bands, seen them too many times to count.
4. I think I would give the Fusion to some poor family who can't order things off of the internet.

You aren't kidding about the zombies at Costco. There must be something about the wide aisles and the warehouse-like atmosphere that puts people into a kind of walking catatonic state. All they can do is slowly and erratically push their very wide carts from one set of samples to another. It's like going to one of those big aquariums where whale sharks are lazily swimming in circles, eating the food that their handlers are dumping into the tank. I bet that some people never go home. They just wander around, day after day, living on chunks of mircrowaveable pot roast, Irish cheddar, vegetarian souffles and shrimp salad. At night, the clerks take the ones who die on their feet and stack them in the reefer, behind the crates of raspberries and the bagged salads. It's all very strange.

Anyway, I'd use it just for the heck of it. I picked up one just like that and I occasionally take it with me when I travel and don't feel like checking a bag. So far, the shaving gods have not struck me down. And I'm still using cartridges from the set that came with it!

I actually compounded my sins by buying a can of Barbisol the other day. I was digging around under the sink and found a Conair hot lather machine that my kids got me for father's day years ago. I cleaned it up and charged it with a new can of goo and gave it a try. While I was using it, I immediately remembered that my brother had bought one for my dad when they first came out and he liked it. In fact, I was probably using the same setup he had used: Barbisol and a Superspeed. I thought that was kind of neat. The next day, my daughter told me that she had gone into our bathroom to borrow some of her mom's shampoo and saw the hot lather machine out on the counter. She said that she was glad to see that I still liked it. I still have all my obsessively collected soaps and creams--why not give this a try every now and then?

You aren't kidding about the zombies at Costco. There must be something about the wide aisles and the warehouse-like atmosphere that puts people into a kind of walking catatonic state. All they can do is slowly and erratically push their very wide carts from one set of samples to another. It's like going to one of those big aquariums where whale sharks are lazily swimming in circles, eating the food that their handlers are dumping into the tank. I bet that some people never go home. They just wander around, day after day, living on chunks of mircrowaveable pot roast, Irish cheddar, vegetarian souffles and shrimp salad. At night, the clerks take the ones who die on their feet and stack them in the reefer, behind the crates of raspberries and the bagged salads. It's all very strange.

Anyway, I'd use it just for the heck of it. I picked up one just like that and I occasionally take it with me when I travel and don't feel like checking a bag. So far, the shaving gods have not struck me down. And I'm still using cartridges from the set that came with it!

I actually compounded my sins by buying a can of Barbisol the other day. I was digging around under the sink and found a Conair hot lather machine that my kids got me for father's day years ago. I cleaned it up and charged it with a new can of goo and gave it a try. While I was using it, I immediately remembered that my brother had bought one for my dad when they first came out and he liked it. In fact, I was probably using the same setup he had used: Barbisol and a Superspeed. I thought that was kind of neat. The next day, my daughter told me that she had gone into our bathroom to borrow some of her mom's shampoo and saw the hot lather machine out on the counter. She said that she was glad to see that I still liked it. I still have all my obsessively collected soaps and creams--why not give this a try every now and then?

IMHO, Barbasol is as classic as any of it, especially in a warmer. How was it?

I might keep it stashed away for a situation in which I absolutely had to have a shave but only had about three minutes. Maybe if my alarm clock malfunctioned on the morning I was supposed to be the speaker for Grand Rounds at the hospital, or something.

Then I could break out that bad-boy and scrape the hairs off my face in 60 seconds flat and still make it to the podium on time.

Otherwise, I wouldn't use it. Honestly I wouldn't. I picked up a Hydro 3 about 6 months ago just out of curiosity. I shaved with it once. Couldn't stand it. I think once you really get to know and love the feeling of a Fatboy set on 5 with a Feather blade in it, the multiblade cartridges are never gonna feel right. I feels like it is tearing the hairs out instead of cutting them. It feels like you're trying to remove your stubble by being licked by a Bengal tiger. I just don't like the way they feel now that I'm accustomed to a DE.

A few guys at work still use Fusions and one, in particular, gets MONTHS of shaves from it. I'm guessing we could do the same if we hated our faces, liked razorburn and had no clue what a good shave is all about!

The Barbasol warmer sounds great, actually! There's a time and place for all of it. In fact, I'd use it and love it largely because it was a thoughtful gift from a loved one! What can I say, I'm a softy...

I just got a Bonnyman Moss Scuttle as a gift, from a good friend. I can't wait to give it a real try today. Warm lather and it was one hell of a thoughtful gift.

Last edited:
Put it in storage in case you travel and will only carry on, or will be shaving at the gym, or between shifts at work... etc.

Top Bottom