What's new

So I bought a new DE razor

So I bought a new DE razor. I've been using a Murkur 34C with Feather blades for a long while now and have been very happy with it. So I decided to try something different. I bought a Muhle R41 Open Comb with Feather blades again. Oh boy what a difference. When people talk about aggressive razors, I can see what they mean.

I've shaved four times with it so far and I haven't managed to not cut myself yet, although, each time I do shave the number of cuts is coming down. But I do have to say, the finish is super smooth. I definitely have to be far more careful how I shave now, but it's worth it.

I also bought a much better brush than the one I had before which was a cheap item. I have the Executive Shaving Big Jock synthetic. It's a good size and very soft.

I've shaved four times with it so far and I haven't managed to not cut myself yet, although, each time I do shave the number of cuts is coming down. But I do have to say, the finish is super smooth. I definitely have to be far more careful how I shave now, but it's worth it.

You could try to cork the feather blade before using a new one. For me, the feather gets real smooth after the 2nd shave and i can probably get about 6 shaves with the same blade. Take a wine cork and pass the blade lightly one time only on both edges and load it into the beast. A new feather is slightly harsh and corking it smooths it out a little bit. The Gillette Nacet is also an excellent blade for me in that razor. Highly recommend trying that one.

Keep working the technique....reduce pressure until you find smoothness and irritation free post shave results.

100% this. I managed to carve up my face in a fairly gruesome way with a Gillette New / Feather combo until I figured this out after a couple shaves. Now, it's one of my favorite combos.

Going from a 34c to an R41 is very much jumping in the deep end!

But when you master it you'll love how close a shave it can give :)

As others have said, experiment with blades a bit and I'm sure you'll find the one that suits you and the razor best

I agree, Feather might not be the best for this..... Gillette out of Russia (any), Personna.... even Dorco Prime or Shark SS or Astra SP.
Muhle R41 is good. Just go slow , now pressure and probably 2 passes is all you need.

Personna lab blue is also a favorite of mine in the R41. I'll pretty much only use Nacets and Personna blades in the beast these days.

...I bought a Muhle R41 Open Comb with Feather blades again. Oh boy what a difference. When people talk about aggressive razors, I can see what they mean.

I've shaved four times with it so far and I haven't managed to not cut myself yet, although, each time I do shave the number of cuts is coming down.
No point using an aggressive razor if your technique is poor. That is learning the hard way. Hopefully your shaves will improve soon.

Well I tried the blade that came with the Muhle, which was Muhle branded, and it did help with the niks. I'll go with this for now.

I also got some Tiger and Blue Sword blades thrown in for free when I got my brush, so I'll give those a go as well

Lefonque

Even more clueless than you
Feather would be way too much. Good to hear that you are enjoying your new razor. I agree about trying different blades until you get your technique happening and find a good match.
Happy shaves!

Top Bottom