What's new

So I bid on a Rocket . . . .

About two weeks ago I was in the market for some new razors, and ran across an auction with this picture:

proxy.php

Hmm, Slim Adjustable, Some Kronas, Slim Twist (cool), Red Tip, Rocket . . .

Having had a Rocket before (and stupidly selling it) I was in the mood for another. They are great shavers, you know.

Package arrives. Most of the razors are in good to very good condition. One Krona fell apart on me while the Red Tip and Slim Twist cleaned up nicely; The Rocket however turned out to be another animal entirely. Tarnished and gunked up, it took a good boiling to get things right. But it cleaned up well, and I had what appeared to be a fine specimen:

proxy.php

But something wasn't right. This Rocket was heavier than my last one, weighing in at 71 g. I then I took a closer look, as something seemed not quite right--The interior was different:

proxy.php

As was the base plate:

proxy.php

And then it dawned on me. It's not a Rocket--

It's an Aristocrat Jr.

So I guess I'm still looking for a Rocket--But I'll make do in the meantime. And yes, it shaves great. (so does the Slim Twist)

Great pictures and story......but you ain't gettin' your Rocket back....LOL

You're right it does shave great.....;-)

Gotta love a good ending story once and a while !!!!

It's always nice when things go your way instead of the other way round.

Nice pickup !!! :thumbup1:

Oooooo! Any chance you'd sell it?
I have one but it suffers from some brassing and minor imperfections. Great find though. I also find it harder to find a 40's style rocket up for sale, but lately I've seen a lot of flair tip rockets and HD's around.
Actually, I believe I picked up a flair tip rocket w/o pointed end caps from you not too long ago. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Legion

Staff member
I have an Aristocrat Jr. (Which has never been used. Still has the cardboard insert under the doors) which I always thought was a rocket until some guys here set me straight. Oh well. I have a Rocket HD and a Rocket flairtip so I shouldn't be greedy.

Which would you guys say is a better razor, just out of curiosity? The regular Rocker or the Aristocrat Jr?

Nice score!

(I thought I lucked out when I got my 40's SS in a cheap lot. Was filthy! Cleaned up really nice though.)

I also find it harder to find a 40's style rocket up for sale, but lately I've seen a lot of flair tip rockets and HD's around.
I prefer the 40's style myself, but just recently purchased another Flare Tip, as they are also excellent. I'm also feeling the need to find a Red Tip Rocket, as well as a #16 and #66 Aristocrat.

I have an Aristocrat Jr. (Which has never been used. Still has the cardboard insert under the doors) which I always thought was a rocket until some guys here set me straight. Oh well. I have a Rocket HD and a Rocket flairtip so I shouldn't be greedy.

Which would you guys say is a better razor, just out of curiosity? The regular Rocker or the Aristocrat Jr?
Wow, an unused one? That is a find.

I like the Aristocrat a little better, it has a tiny bit more heft to it, but the 40's style is still one of my favorites. Probably too close to call for me at this point. Actually, All of the British razors give an exceptional shave; even the Slim Twist I picked up shaves very nicely. In fact, the Slim Twist may even be better than the Krona, my favorite up to this point.

I prefer the 40's style myself, but just recently purchased another Flare Tip, as they are also excellent. I'm also feeling the need to find a Red Tip Rocket, as well as a #16 and #66 Aristocrat.

Wow, an unused one? That is a find.

I like the Aristocrat a little better, it has a tiny bit more heft to it, but the 40's style is still one of my favorites. Probably too close to call for me at this point. Actually, All of the British razors give an exceptional shave; even the Slim Twist I picked up shaves very nicely. In fact, the Slim Twist may even be better than the Krona, my favorite up to this point.

I prefer the Aristocrat Jr. but my flair tip rocket is my daily shaver.
As for a red tip rocket goodluck, I've been looking for one of these for a while too. Although I lucked out and recently just picked up a #16 and #58, just have to find cases. I would still like to pick up another Aristocrat Jr. with the flat base plate and a English Parat but just keep missing them.

I prefer the Aristocrat Jr. but my flair tip rocket is my daily shaver.
As for a red tip rocket goodluck, I've been looking for one of these for a while too. Although I lucked out and recently just picked up a #16 and #58, just have to find cases. I would still like to pick up another Aristocrat Jr. with the flat base plate and a English Parat but just keep missing them.
I do like the Flare Tips, they are quite neat. I'm also in the hunt for a #16 and #66, Parats I never see.

I do like the Flare Tips, they are quite neat. I'm also in the hunt for a #16 and #66, Parats I never see.

For me the Flaretips whether Brit or not just don't do it for me :blush:

I had a Red Tip Brit Superspeed ( yes not Rocket but Superspeed ) ( last seen living with Superbleu ), but it didn't meet my condition "standards" and as I say, I just can't bring myself to love the Flares :tongue_sm

I do love me Rockets and Aristocrats though :001_smile

(BTW FWIW my favourite shave is the #58, though that being said it's pretty much the same as the Rocket HD just fancier :001_smile )

I had three Rockets a Parat a Flair Tip Rocket and an Aristocrat jr.
The Rocket and Parat shave very close to identically the only difference is a minor weight difference. The Flair Tip I quite liked because I found I had better control of the razor with the flared tip as opposed to the straight handled Rocket. The Aristocrat is the best of all because of the slightly heavier weight, it just works for me.

Why I traded away my first Rocket and the Parat I will never know? Oh wait I am unemployed and wanted a straight!!!

For me the Flaretips whether Brit or not just don't do it for me :blush:
I'm not a fan of the regular flare tip (it does an adequate job) but I do like the flare tip rocket. But for me, the 40's style gives better shave. Oddly enough, the 40's style shaves better than the HD--for me, anyway. And I'll be adding a few Aristocrats to my stable in the near future, even with prices as crazy as they are.

Top Bottom