What's new

So. How far would YOU go?

I finished shave #12 with a British Wilkie blade and was wondering how many more comfortable shaves are left in this blade.

I know I have a light thin beard (blond hair, blue eyes, fair complexion) so I get more shaves per blade than many on here do.

BUT.....

How much further should I go with this Wiklie? It shows no signs of giving up. Still sharp. Still cuts comfortably. Heck, at 12 shaves it is sharper and smoother than many NEW blades I have used.

So... How far would you go? Toss it a 14 shaves (two full weeks) 86 it today and get back into my normal blade jumping routine? After all I only shaved every day with this to evaluate the 100 I bought so I would know what to expect in the future with them. I never expected to be into a second week of shaves on the first blade.

proxy.php

I'd toss it now. No reason to keep using it until you get irritation. It's probably just about at the end of it's life right now too for decent shaves.

This reminds me of when Kramer wanted to drive the car until the needle busted off the gauge.

Shave until it can't shave no more. That is what I say.

Wow! I have been stopping after 3-4 shaves with a blade lately. I mistakenly went for a 5th shave with a Polsilver SI in R41 (for some reason thought I only had 2 shaves with it) and I put it away after the 1st pass and grabbed the Stahly/Feather that I knew had only 3 shaves on it. My beard is pretty tough though. I could easily shave every 8-12 hours.

I'd go until it hurts if I were you though! :thumbup:

I would use it until it :death: too... just to see the maximum use you can get out if it before it :surrender:.

Curiosity :shocked: would practically force me, and then I would use another one to :online2long: test consistency.

Please update this thread with the results :thumbsup:

I would treat it like I do all my other razor blades, shave until it leaves a little irritation behind then bin it. If you prefer to toss a blade because of some OCD then do so, but that's just wasteful and I try not to be.

OK so today made shave #14 out of the past 15 days (single edge Sunday broke it up by a day).

I used my Belgian Lie Bel today and it was like I had a new fresh blade in it.

If I would only get a weeper or some burn or tugging or missed whiskers I would say, yea good job.... bye bye blade. But OH NO.... It is still sharp and smooth.

I am starting to hate this blade :cursing:

proxy.php

OK so today made shave #14 out of the past 15 days (single edge Sunday broke it up by a day).

I used my Belgian Lie Bel today and it was like I had a new fresh blade in it.

If I would only get a weeper or some burn or tugging or missed whiskers I would say, yea good job.... bye bye blade. But OH NO.... It is still sharp and smooth.

I am starting to hate this blade :cursing:

proxy.php

turtle, what razor is pictured in this post? That is pretty cool. :001_cool:

turtle, what razor is pictured in this post? That is pretty cool. :001_cool:

It is a Belgian razor called a Lie Bel.

It is another one I have to keep hidden otherwise nothing else will get used. One of the better shaving razors I have come across.

You should love the blade! Talk about shaving cheaper lol. I may have to find /try some... Actually it seems like I'd only need one. :lol:

Shave #15 and I think it is getting close to the last round up.

today's shave was a little more irritated BUT I used an old type which tends to give this effect with most blades.

NICE close shave with no weepers, no tugging, but the smooth is burning off of the edge.

I may give it one more day in a razor that I know is mild/easy on the face but I think it has pretty much served its tour of duty and needs to go join all of the other blades down the slot in the medicine cabinet.

I really didn't expect this when I opened that pack but I can say I WAS impressed with the longevity and length of comfort from this blade

proxy.php

Not a bad run at all. I bet you get a few more out of a mild razor :lol:

I am not sure if it was the old type head or the blade giving out.... I am thinking more on the blade giving up.

It's still sharp and still getting BBS with 4 passes.

Not sure what razor to try it in for the final trip around for the gold ring. Vision? Slant? Back in the Lie Bel. Typically these are the razors I can get perfect comfortable shaves with regardless of what blade I shove in them.

I've got a blue wrapper Astra stainless on deck for tomorrow just in case I need to send the Wilkie to the penalty box for the rest of the game

I would have tossed it and gone on to the next blade, but maybe save it and frame it. When I worked for a Tea Master we were a brought a tea from the mountains in Taiwan that refused to die. Four of us drank tea for an hour. The color was completely gone, but the leaves continued to produce incredible flavor...so we just stopped. It was time to move on.

Top Bottom