What's new

So. How far would YOU go?

Update for the three first weeks and three days:

I was so excited when I received the Wilkinsons I immediately started using them in the middle of the week. I did three shaves and one full week with this setup, except for daily variations of the aftershave.

Week 1
$week1.jpg
26 mm Pur Tech synthetic brush, US C2 Tech on Connaught handle, Mystic Waters Vanilla Sandalwood, the Wilkie and Old Spice

Week 2
$week2.jpg
31 mm Pur Tech Synth, British Flat Bottom Tech on Connaught handle, Mystic Waters Vanilla Sandalwood, the Wilkie and DRH Windsor ASB

Week 3
$week3.jpg
US Aristocrat '34, M&F Chief, the Wilkie, Mystic Waters Vanilla Sandalwood, and Castle Forbes Lime ASB

All in all I can report that the blade has now reached the 'buttery edge' status and that the shaves are very predictable, comfortable and effortless.

By going to a slightly more efficient razor each week I keep the clean up pass very short thus sparing the blade.

Week 4 report, currently on shave No. 25.

$week4.jpg
Vie-Long 24/50 all white custom horse brush, Rocket HD, MV Vanilla sandalwood, the Wilkie and 4711 AS

About my shaving : My way of shaving consists of a shower, face wash to exfoliate, brush soaking in cold water during shower, cold water shaving with 2+ passes (XTG, ATG + clean up), cold water rinse and an AS. I pick up the soap from a puck or apply the puck or stick directly to my face. I apply extra moisturizer once a week or daily during cold/dry season. I shave every day and all my shaves for the last five years have been BBS.

I have for the last year become interested in how to improve my shaves and while talking to an elderly gent I came to realize that the modern wetshaver is using only a fraction of the capabilities of a DE blade. I started stretching the blade life and much to my amazement I found that this blade stretching positively affected the quality of the shaves.

So this obsession with blade life is not about saving money - that ship has for me sailed several years ago! - rather it's about elevating the quality of the shaves. I do see that my interest in this comes from the fact that I DE shave on doctors orders after messing up my skin with a rotating Philips ( Norelco) contraption and alcohol based splashes many years ago.

Life is too short for inferior shaves.
:001_rolle

I wonder if this is like how some manufactures will produce a "lemon" really bad product. Are these blades just the opposite where as the manufacture made the "perfect blade" just by chance? Surely not all Polsilver SI blades will last for 56 shaves.

It's possible, but I get 40+ shaves from any given Feather ( and most other blades), so in my case it's no anomaly. It's the norm.

I just finished up 47 shaves with a vintage English Wilkie. They are very nice blades. However, I will say that that's only a couple of shaves more than I do with modern Feathers.

See here for more on extended blade life: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/431416-Excalibur-Club-Blade-Longevity-DE-SE-and-Injector

The effort from Turtle to go 100+ seems to be unreachable for the time being. I do know that I don't have the exact same variant of the English Wilkie as he had. The main difference might however be that he did 4+ pass shaves and I do 2+ passes - he did twice as many passes as I do...

Didn't know about the Excalibur Club - will visit!

I'm up to day 12 using a Feather, though there has been some degradation of the blade - but nothing major.

Actually, I want to get my technique up so I can finally use this:

$Wilkie.jpg

This blade is said to be close to the widely revered Light Brigade blades. Then, I can be just like Turtle.

Top Bottom