What's new

So. How far would YOU go?

$blindedscience.jpg

Nope... It was the old type that was harsh NOT the blade.

Shave #16 today in my Vision 2000 and it was very well behaved. Smooth, sharp, comfortable. Not sure what to make of this. I remember using Gillette spoilers and Personna 74 blades for the better part of a month in my Super Adjustable, though that was decades ago and I may not be remembering all that closely as shaving was "just shaving" back then.

I pulled out the astra stainless (blue wrapper) just in case I found the Wilkie to be beyond the sell by date but it went back on the counter to wait until this wilkie blade starts to show some signs of wearing out.

proxy.php

amazing. that's some quality steel...really holds an edge eh? (also quite the handsome brush you've got there)

The package says they are chromium plated stainless with a ceramic and PTFE coating on them. Not sure what is making this blade hold up but something sure is.

I would say it is not as smooth as it was when first opened but still smoother than a lot of other blades I have used on their first shave.

proxy.php

I think I'll divide the back wall of my medicine cabinet into a wall of fame, and a wall of shame.. I'd glue the still sharp britt blade to the fame side of the wall before it gives up it's best. I'd give it palace of honor...

Shave #17 and still as sharp as a new blade....

The "smooth" has started to disappear (most of the PTFE coating I am sure has been rubbed off after this many shaves. Let's see I do 4 passes and clean up so this blade had done about 76 passes... yowsers that's almost a mile of shaves :001_smile)

I am getting tired of talking about it.....

proxy.php

I'm glad tomorrow is Single Edge Sunday so that I can give that blade a rest for a day and think about whether I want to keep using it or not.

It is still sharp but it is losing "comfort/smoothness" more and more each day (for the past 2 shaves).

Now it is shaving about like a normal uncoated stainless blade (shark or supermax stainless)...

The way it is feeling now I give it 2 maybe 3 more shaves max before I send it down the blade slot.

Keep it up Mick, this is pretty amazing stuff! I went back to your first post to see which blade it was you were using again and just realized that I believe I have five dozen (or a dozen 5-packs to be precise) of these same blades. I need to give one a shot soon to see if I can mimic your incredible results.

A friend that used to work for Gillette told me its all about the corrosion not the shaving that dulls the blade

he swore that using a blow dryer on the blade wOuld make it last a longtime.

Just the other day he told me he had be using is fusion for four months

YMMV

A friend that used to work for Gillette told me its all about the corrosion not the shaving that dulls the blade

he swore that using a blow dryer on the blade wOuld make it last a longtime.

Just the other day he told me he had be using is fusion for four months

YMMV

I used to used the Fusion Power, I never really paid attention then, but I probably got seven or eight weeks out of a cartridge simply being careful to rinse it out throughly after each use. I actually like the Fusion Power, I just enjoy the DE thing more.

I use my blades (90% of the time Polsilver Super Iridium) for no more than 4 shaves that gets me through the working week. I can get them dirt cheap and I figured that there is no point to push it any further. After all, one of the things that got me back to DE shaving was the low cost of the blades that allows me to use pretty fresh blade for peanuts.

I used to used the Fusion Power, I never really paid attention then, but I probably got seven or eight weeks out of a cartridge simply being careful to rinse it out throughly after each use. I actually like the Fusion Power, I just enjoy the DE thing more.

I used to get 8 shaves, or so, out of a Fusion Power--far more than out of the other carts. Now that I think about it, I stopped using them when the strip was white--not because I still wasn't getting a good shave. I probably should have kept using those carts until they failed.

But as you say, DE is more fun (still can't believe I think that), I also ditch my DE blade too soon, I think, But the reason for that now is, I want to try different blades. When I settle on a few chosen blades I wonder, will I use them til they fail?

I finished shave #12 with a British Wilkie blade and was wondering how many more comfortable shaves are left in this blade.

I know I have a light thin beard (blond hair, blue eyes, fair complexion) so I get more shaves per blade than many on here do.

BUT.....

How much further should I go with this Wiklie? It shows no signs of giving up. Still sharp. Still cuts comfortably. Heck, at 12 shaves it is sharper and smoother than many NEW blades I have used.

So... How far would you go? Toss it a 14 shaves (two full weeks) 86 it today and get back into my normal blade jumping routine? After all I only shaved every day with this to evaluate the 100 I bought so I would know what to expect in the future with them. I never expected to be into a second week of shaves on the first blade.

proxy.php

only question I have is..how did you keep track of it for 14 days?if I remember correctly, your system consisted of 1-7 and then it fell off the cliff. :001_rolle

Top Bottom