What's new

So hard to pick a scent from samples. suggestions?

I've never been a fragrance guy. But, thanks to the evils of B&B I went from soaps to trying a number of aftershaves, to now thinking I should get a cologne. I read a lot of descriptions and ordered a goodly number of small samples just to try out.

I probably ordered too many, but I guess I was hoping something would jump out at me. I'd like to pick a signature fragrance. I could wear a lot of the ones I sampled with no problem, even though I put many in the "meh" category, but I don't want a whole shelf of stuff. Nothing was total love at first sniff.

If I chose right now I'd probably track down some Bowling Green and maybe add some Aspen or Acqua di Selva because they're so cheap, but maybe some more experienced fellow here has a brilliant suggestion for me based on my reactions below?

Didn't like:
Pino Silvestre - I like it smelling out of the bottle, but on my skin I get too much clove and cooking herbs rather than fresh or pine.
Rive Gauche - Something in there strikes me as too sharp. I felt the same way about HTGAM's Barberpole modeled after this scent, so it's not a surprise.
Azzaro Pour Homme - Just not me. One of the spicy notes doesn't agree with me at all.
Acqua di Gio - Just too common. Every time I sniff it makes me think of walking near a fragrance counter in a department store, or opening one of those thick magazines that have perfume samples in them.

Meh:
Claiborne Curve for Men - Pleasant, but a tad generic.
Caron Pour un Homme - Nice scent, but a bit sweet and feminine.
Halston Unbound for Men - Springy, light, but also lacking in masculinity. I like the freshness, but almost feel like my wife should be wearing it.
Quorum - There's the manliness I was missing! Bold. Okay, probably too bold. After a while I smell mostly incense.
Versace Green Jeans - Fresh green opening, seems to dry to a generic cologne scent.
Guerlain Homme - Like it a lot at first, citrusy, minty, but seems to dry down to just powdery in minutes.
Unforgiven - Got this more as a substitute for Creed MI since that wasn't available where I was ordering samples. I almost really like it, but there's some note in there that's bothering me. Maybe real MI or one of the other similar frags (like Love & Luck) would suit me.

Liked:
Acqua di Selva - The opposite of Pino, strangely. Didn't like it out of the bottle, but on my skin it's nice. Doesn't last long, but it's a good smell on me.
Versace Pour Homme - Not sure blue aquatics are my thing, but I like it worn sparingly. It's pleasantly fresh without pushing any note hard enough to bother me.
Bowling Green - Green, fresh, herby. The initial scent is a little too grassy (or something), but after a few moments I quite like it.
Aspen - Cheap, fresh, woodsy, perhaps a little like deodorant or air freshener, but still very nice.

Iv'e never tried any of your liked scents, so I can't comment on those. The one's I would choose off your list are:

1. Rive Gauche
2. Azzaro
3. Quorum

Not really similar likes. Have you tried Terre d'Hermes or Bel Ami? For some reason I think you might like these.

Iv'e never tried any of your liked scents, so I can't comment on those. The one's I would choose off your list are:

1. Rive Gauche
2. Azzaro
3. Quorum

Not really similar likes. Have you tried Terre d'Hermes or Bel Ami? For some reason I think you might like these.

Yup, I'm guessing we have very different sniffers. :001_smile

I haven't tried Terre d'Hermes, but I wasn't a fan of RazoRock Son of Zeus that was supposed to smell like it. I do like RazoRock Freedberg aftershave, which is supposed to be like Aventus. I'm not sure I could see paying Creed prices though. I have enough expensive hobbies as it is!

Good exploration so far!
my suggestion, keep with your Likes for a couple of weeks the narrow that dome to two or three!
you are far more disciplined than I am, for sure!

If you like the Aventus scent, go with Lomani AB Spirit Silver.
$25 smells almost identical and will save you $$ to buy more. :)
Boss Bottled is nice.
Chanel Allure homme Sport maybe.

Top Bottom