What's new

So far, so good. Need some help, tho

I am now using a Gillette Facet and loving it. Had the best shave of my life today.
My Fatboy should be shipping to me from Razor Emporium very soon.
I need help picking a daily driver. (Can’t see using a vintage for a daily driver)

I want an adjustable razor, so i can try a lot of blades and aggression. There are a lot of candidates, but there are problems with them, in my mind anyways.

• Viking. Is this thing built to last? I don’t like the head having a grooved side on one side and a smooth side on the other. Goofy. I have seen posts and videos showing the blade not seating properly. It also says on the Amazon description that the blade bending is normal for it. Hmmmmm. Not sure about that one. I LOVE THE LOOKS OF THE 2-tone one!!!

• Rex. Too expensive… next

• T2. Expensive and i have heard some bad reports. Is this a good razor?

• Yaqi (Japanese others, as well). I can’t see these razors being any good for the price you pay.

• Merkur. Futur is too aggressive. Progress has a plastic cream base and looks slippery. I’m afraid I’ll drop it. I’m clumsy, which is why the ones with different base plates are not here. Not sure how I feel about that plastic piece, at least not yet.

Honestly, I like the Vikings best, but I’m just not sure about the quality. Any suggestions will be tremendously appreciated. Thank you in advance. I want a well made razor that is built to last.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
If built to last is important, I’d shy away from zamak (pot metal), and toward stainless steel or brass.

Your Fatboy (brass) is fantastic. Consider the Rockwell 6S, Karve, and Razorock Game Changer. The Henson also gets great reviews, although I haven’t used one yet.

Best wishes, and please share what you decide to do.

What an awesome reply! I am not at all sure how good the 60 year old Fatboy will be for utility. I appreciate that. I'll look at RR and check back in

It appears the only truly adjustable razor that Rockwell makes is the t2. Does anybody have any input as to whether this razor is truly worth $150?

You said you want an adjustable. You can get a metal knob for the Progress or buy a Progress with a metal knob already on it (Mergress) or get the Parker Variant which is basically a Progress clone made in India, it already has a metal knob and costs less than the plastic knob Progress.

Are there other hand
You said you want an adjustable. You can get a metal knob for the Progress or buy a Progress with a metal knob already on it (Mergress) or get the Parker Variant which is basically a Progress clone made in India, it already has a metal knob and costs less than the plastic knob Progress.
Are there any with a better grip handle? I'd drop it for sure.

lasta

Blade Biter
I don't see how the T2 can offer anything over your Fatboy. All brass razor, you could probably bury it, dig up in 100 years and keep using.

I don't see how the T2 can offer anything over your Fatboy. All brass razor, you could probably bury it, dig up in 100 years and keep using.
So, you also have the impression that a fat boy can be a daily driver? I was just concerned cuz it was so old

I think you'll like the Progress, it's very versatile. The plastic knob might even grow on you. It was fashionable way back when, as on this Porsche interior.

1645074050339.png

lasta

Blade Biter
So, you also have the impression that a fat boy can be a daily driver? I was just concerned cuz it was so old
Absolutely, not a Fatboy, but I've had a Slim since 2005. Daily driver for about 10 of the past 17 years.

I also have Old Types and New's closing in on 100 years.

We don't have much in terms of iron-age antiques, but multi-thousand year bronze relics are everywhere.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats on the Merkur Progress -- I'm sure you're going to love it, and keep us posted on your shaving journey. As to a vintage being a daily driver, I rarely shave with a razor that is younger than 85 years old....from my lather catchers (which easily break the 100 year old mark, to my Gems and Schicks from the 1920's and 1930's....or my Gillette Single and Double Rings (also over 100)....well you get the picture. These razors were used daily by someone before me, and they'll like be shaving some other soul longer after I'm gone. If you love the way your FB shaves when you get it, then absolutely shave with it....early and often. :thumbup1:

Had a Progress and a Slim some years ago. The Progress is good but if you can find a Slim in decent shape, I think it might be the better razor. Its sleeker head is more maneuverable in the mustache area and it just feels better built.

(I ditched adjustables when I discovered that a sharp blade in a mild razor like the Tech worked best for me.)

What an awesome reply! I am not at all sure how good the 60 year old Fatboy will be for utility. I appreciate that. I'll look at RR and check back in
I used a Fatboy as a daily drivers for years. It is an excellent razor. I now have a couple of stainless steel razors that have taken its place, but a good vintage Gillette is able to give you excellent shaves on a daily basis.

Top Bottom