What's new

So far not so good

I just bought a Edwin Jagger razor and I'm using it with Bic blades. My experience is not good so far. I had to go back to my gilette 5 blades. I get cut and eritation on my neck. Any advice?

I'm sure you're gonna get a ton of advice but let me chime in... If you're shaving the same way with a DE that you do with the fusion, you're going to cut and irritate yourself. The technique you need to use to shave successfully with a safety razor is totally different. You should apply Zero pressure to your razor and the angle that the blade contacts your skin is very important as well. How long did you try the EJ? How many passes were you doing? What was your beard prep? There are a lot of variables to consider when you're first starting out, don't give up so soon!

I'm sure you're gonna get a ton of advice but let me chime in... If you're shaving the same way with a DE that you do with the fusion, you're going to cut and irritate yourself. The technique you need to use to shave successfully with a safety razor is totally different. You should apply Zero pressure to your razor and the angle that the blade contacts your skin is very important as well. How long did you try the EJ? How many passes were you doing? What was your beard prep? There are a lot of variables to consider when you're first starting out, don't give up so soon!

+1 Check out the mantic59 youtube video's. The ten minute shave is a great tutorial for shaving.

There's no delicate way of saying this; you're going to suck for a while.

Every single thing about wetshaving is new to you. None of what you learned with canned goo and carts carries over at all. Just accept this and revel in the small victories, and you'll be good in no time. There is also no magical piece of advice that you can receive here that will make everything "click" for you. It's all practice and trial and error.

Bloody, grisly error.

Technique and take your time. If something does not feel right when shaving stop and start again. That has worked for me. Just my 2 cents.

Lots of things could factor in here. There is no mention in your post about what type of soap/cream/canned goo you are using. If you are using an actual soap or cream and a brush to build lather you could have an issue there.

It could be your choice of blade does not agree with your face. Or even the razor, I have had a hard time finding a modern razor that agrees with my face. A futur and a vintage merkur slant is the closest I have come. 38c nope, EJ 89 nope. Vintage gillettes have worked the best for me.

Finally it may just be your technique.....3 times does not qualify you as an expert in wet shaving, its going to take month(s) for you to develop the proper technique.

Top Bottom