What's new

So...anyone else watching Wrestlemania?

IMHO, wrestling was fun before all the drama entered the ring. If you time it, a 1 hour wrestling show now has very little actual wrestling in it. There is a show called Ring of Honor out of Texas which I've caught on a few occasions. I mention it only because they have some wrestlers who are fantastic gymnasts and it fun to watch the gymnastics associated with it.

IMHO, wrestling was fun before all the drama entered the ring. If you time it, a 1 hour wrestling show now has very little actual wrestling in it. There is a show called Ring of Honor out of Texas which I've caught on a few occasions. I mention it only because they have some wrestlers who are fantastic gymnasts and it fun to watch the gymnastics associated with it.
ROH is a good promotion. AEW is supposedly a return to "professional wrestling," and they have done a great job of being the "anti-WWE" (albeit with a lot of former WWE and ROH stars). WWE insists that it is "sports entertainment," and tries to appeal to a wide audience, hence all the drama. Drama in an of itself is an essential part of professional wrestling, but, you're right, the stuff WWE does is ridiculous at times.

That said - WWE did an excellent job with Wrestlemania this year given the circumstances (I wasn't expecting much, but had fun watching the show throughout). While other sports are down, pro wrestling is still trying to entertain. I know, it's not a sport per se, but you get my meaning.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
While other sports are down, pro wrestling is still trying to entertain.

"Surely, with all this Covid-19 stuff going on, and all the cancellations by the NHL, NFL, NBA, and so on ... the WWE will have to cancel Wrestlemania too, right?"

"I can convince you that you are wrong, and that Vince McMahon will insist and the show will go on."

"You are crazy ... there's no way!"

"I can convince you with just two words."

"Ha! Impossible."

"Owen Hart."

"*sigh* ... should you order the PPV or should I?"

What happened to Owen Hart was tragic. I had seen Owen wrestle as the Blue Blazer at a house show in San Jose that year. He was interacting with the crowd, in character, and was hilarious. Everyone loved him. Later that year, I was watching the pay-per-view the day he was killed and heard Jim Ross announce what happened. I was in shock. I sat in my chair, sobbing. It was a horrible day. I don't know what the right decision would have been - cancel the event and send everyone home, or going on with the show. You can argue either way, and given that I didn't watch the rest of the PPV, you can guess how I was feeling. Had I been in the arena, I probably would have left. Holding Wrestlemania this year, in the capacity they did, isn't the same thing. You might as well cancel all episodic television for the remainder of the pandemic. McMahon did cancel the remainder of the XFL season (it was re-launched this year), so there's that.

Last edited:
Like many people I was into pro wrestling as a kid, from about 5 until about 12 or 13 years old when other things became cooler. I was a big fan throughout much of the 80s and a little into the 90s.

For a long time I've often joked with my wife and turned wrestling on, telling her "I'm going to get back into wrestling!" waiting for her to groan and roll her eyes before changing the channel. Well recently I did that with my 8 year old daughter in the room and she wouldn't let me change it. She really got into it and started begging to watch Raw and Smackdown every week.

I've tried to get into it for her sake but it's just no good now. I feel like there are no characters now. I don't know any of these new people and the ones they have just seem so bland. They don't seem like great wrestlers, either. They really don't sell the moves at all and the whole kayfabe thing is gone with the internet and all the exposure now. There just don't seem to be any stars now and it's not fun for me.

Top Bottom