What's new

So about those points

Discussing with a fellow member the other day, we noticed that most French are round point.
However, I do have a few that are French point, which one would be a reasonable assumption to make.

Some old wedges or near wedge and some old Thiers Issard, like this Gnome here
attachment.php

Now, I have never seen some French razors with Spanish points, but never any Spanish razors.
They seem to be mostly square points, with a few round point exception.

Could someone prove me wrong by pulling a Spanish-pointed spanish razor.

If someone pulls a Seraphim's Gold-Dollaro that would not count no matter how much macho attitude it got.

So you are asking why are Spanish point called Spanish points since they are never (or hardly ever) seen on Spanish razors?

Dunno

May I also ask whoever has the answer to this question if they know why we drive on Parkways, but park in Driveways. It just doesn't make any damn sense.

Discussing with a fellow member the other day, we noticed that most French are round point.

Not true; I've met French with all sort of head shapes, some were even bald and - contrary to common belief - hardly any of those French wears a beret any more.

No, you eat Frites!
And as a structure is going up , you're building it . When it's done isn't it built? And we call it a building.

Great. Another thing that's going to keep me up at night.

While we're derailing a thread, why do we say "behind my back"? Don't we mean "in front of my back"? The back only has one side as far as I can tell. The same criticism applies to "in front of my face".

Not true; I've met French with all sort of head shapes, some were even bald and - contrary to common belief - hardly any of those French wears a beret any more.
Maybe you only saw tourists.
The French beret si still part of the school uniform and we have mandatory accordion lessons in middleschool.
You can also forget about your baccalaureat (high school graduation certificate) if you fail mime-class.

Like most thing straight razor related I believe this comes from knife making... Toledo folding knives has a distinct end to them... That's why it's called a Spanish point... I believe it's also called an American point because Bowie knives also have this characteristic... But as far as Spanish point Spanish razor, I've never seen one

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413798369.144115.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm away from my razors for a few months, so no pictures.

These days, I only own five razors and three of them are older (relative to the norm for these brands) Spanish blades.

I've owned many younger razors from these brands in the past and never before noted this peculiar characteristic common to all three specimens. Their "square" points all break at an eased 92° rather than the 90° one would expect.

The effect, while subtle, is a somewhat aggressive and perhaps even more elegant profile. It evokes the same feelings as a wide-belly scimitar.

Although they lack the scalloped point with which one would normally associate a Spanish point, I think I like this method far better.

Great. Another thing that's going to keep me up at night.

While we're derailing a thread, why do we say "behind my back"? Don't we mean "in front of my back"? The back only has one side as far as I can tell. The same criticism applies to "in front of my face".

All I know is that I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than to have a frontal lobotomy.

Hey Craig, don't knock it till you tried it. I'm enjoying mine. It took a load off my mind.

Now if someone would be so kind as to remind me what this thread was about . I forget the point of it.

Last edited:
Hey Craig, don't knock it till you tried it. I'm enjoying mine. It took a load off my mind.

Now if someone would be so kind as to remind me what this thread was about . I forget the point of it.
As a french-man, I was able to produce the picture of a french razor with a french point.
No spanish-man (or anybody else for that matter) been able to step up and produce a Spanish razor with spanish point.

It looks like the job is easy for American as the square-american point is more typical.

The challenge is more complicated for the Germans, Swedes and Japanese.

For the brits, if Barber-notch is from the Barbados Island, that would work, but someone I have doubts.

Top Bottom