What's new

Snus or vaping for appetite control?

Gentlemen,
My wife announced to me this morning that she was either going to take up snus or vaping to try and control her appetite. I'm not sure what to think.

I spent 40 years using moist snuff and quitting that was much harder than stopping drinking. The nicotine withdrawal was real. I'm not sure I want to see my wife of 26 years get addicted to nicotine.

Advice please. I want to support her, but danged if I can see her taking up snus. Is there such a thing as a ladylike snus?

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I would urge her to consider other options. What she has mentioned is just replacing one vice (or possibly an addiction?) with another. Going using suns or vapor to replace cigarettes, can be an healthier option because smoking cigarettes are just about one of the worst things you can do and effects all aspects of your health. But resolving overeating, or weight control can be done through other methods.

If she isn't already a nicotine user she really needs to find an alternative. Tell her to chew gum or sunflower seeds.

I guess I'm going to watch her get sick and give something a try. She's been struggling with the food and weight for 25 years and sunflower seeds, diets, etc have not worked at all. I'm going to be supportive, but not sure what to think about this. Suffice it to say I am more than just a little freaked out.

I guess I'm going to watch her get sick and give something a try. She's been struggling with the food and weight for 25 years and sunflower seeds, diets, etc have not worked at all. I'm going to be supportive, but not sure what to think about this. Suffice it to say I am more than just a little freaked out.
Gimme five minutes, writing you a PM.

Is she a current nicotine user? Snus is powerful stuff. I felt like hell the first few times I tried it and that was when I was smoking at least a half a pack a day. There are women in Sweden who use snus. It's most commonly found in portion pouches and involves no spitting, so it won't be quite like snuff. If she does decide to go with snus, make sure she gets Swedish snus. General brand is commonly available in the US. The American brands aren't any better than snuff, but Swedish snus is processed much differently and is regulated as a food product. It also contains lower levels of nitrosamines.

If she's set on doing one of these, I would try to steer her towards vaping 0mg nicotine e-liquid. The flavors available are varied and fantastic, and zero nicotine options are readily available. This would give her the distraction and flavor of something without the addictive element of nicotine. The upside of zero nicotine liquid is that it ends up tasting better than liquids with nicotine.

Luke, that is the direction I am trying to steer her. We have a couple of vape stores here in town.
I told her I thought the Camel Snus was not much different from Skoal bandits and was basically snuff

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
There's a great link about snus in the Gentleman's essentials sticky above. Lots of information there.

UPDATE:
The wife just doesn't have it in her to really get addicted to nicotine - particularly since I got her some unloaded e-juice. However, I also got her some snus samples and ended up using them myself. Nicotine addiction came back to me quite easily. After about 3 weeks of snus use on my part, I recalled why I stopped dipping snuff and grabbed me an e-cig (sorry don't know all the terms) and have been using it myself to move off the nicotine again.

Unexpectedly, I am really enjoying using the vapor to fuel my addiction. I have the TKO (mall kiosk shop) battery deal and an iclear top feeder and some 10mg fuel (also have an 8 and a 6 for down the road). I can see how this might become pretty consuming, but all I know for sure is that a quick puff or 3 will calm down the urge for nicotine and keep it at bay for a while.

I also think if weight and appetite control are a serious issue that you bring her to a nutritionist and or a psychologist for help with ehat may be underlying issues causing the appetite problem.

Top Bottom