What's new

Snuff question

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Just put in an order at Mr. Snuff...super easy checkout and free international shipping! Not sure if this was a first order perk or what but I'll take it. Those interested in making orders I'd highly recommend checking it out.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I too, ordered from Mr Snuff. 20% and free shipping is a great deal.

My order from Snuff store arrived today as well.
proxy.php

brandaves

Excellent. An order of cigars took two months from Zurich. Just ordered a pipe from UK. Hope it will be quick. Mr.Snuff site down right now due to a security problem. Need to make an order soon.
I hope my order wasn't hit with a security issue...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Probably not. A lot of stuff is moving by ship which involves containers etc. took mine about two months instead of the usual five to seven days. The vendor has issued a caution that if you are in a hurry, you may want to wait. They sent a replacement shipment but I believe I finally got the original and now I’m waiting on the replacement I’ll go ahead and pay for if it arrives. That will give me 100 sticks so
I won’t have to order for a while. So don’t fret. My neighbor had a box confiscated and customs just sent him the empty package with a letter with a phone number to
call if he wished to discuss it. I’ve been using this vendor for years and their customer service is tramendous!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I think it's one of those issues where it plays well with some browsers, and ruffles the feathers of others. Knowing them, they will get it sorted eventually, because not necessarily quickly, and not without a lot of badgering from the Snuffhouse forum regulars (it's a good way of getting the attention of the head honcho if you're not getting adequate service from their staff). I've clashed with Dave on there more than once.

Personally I don't use MrSnuff anymore, but I'm fortunate enough to not need to. Being in the UK, I can get most stuff cheaper elsewhere, were it not for the fact I'm already filled to the gunwales. They're more interested in the US and other overseas markets though, and have somewhat of a monopoly on that. The lack of competition can make that team quite lax at times. Another two or three global snuff sellers would light a fuse under their posterior, but I'm not entirely sure there's enough global demand to support more companies doing the same.

brandaves

@AimlessWanderer since you have a long term supply of snuff, how are you storing it? Does it keep okay long term in original tins if left unopened?

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
@AimlessWanderer since you have a long term supply of snuff, how are you storing it? Does it keep okay long term in original tins if left unopened?

There's no one straight answer to that.

Most store fine, or seem to, and I've got snuffs that were from back in 2013, and have been perfectly fine. I've had others, a couple of the coarser Sam Gawiths, and Best Dark from Wilsons, where the tins rusted.

I've also had some spoil to mould, both in tins, and in jars. The best worst case (if that makes sense), is the ones that dry out. They can be rehydrated. The ones lost to rust and mould, are gone forever.

My bulk snuffs have been transferred to bail top jars. I've got maybe 10 in those, holding up to 500g, though I did have to pack some of those down hard. The tins with the moister snuffs, were transferred to smaller 70ml bail to jars. Some stayed fine, some went awry, some had to be discarded. The ones that seem to have survived the best, are those with regular Toque level hydration, including the regular Wilsons, Gawith Hoggarth (though they dried), the finer Sam Gawiths, etc

For moist coarse snuffs like Fribourg and Treyer Princes and Santa Domingo - buy them and use them - they won't keep. Their Bordeaux, Morlaix, Macouba etc, will keep.

I have got some in small moister snuffs in small jam type jars, with regular sealed screw tops. Toque Ambrosia, Wilson's Best Dark and the like. So far, so good.

Here's an old pic of my stash. It's changed a fair bit in the last five years ago since that picture was taken. Some used, some spoiled, some new added to it. I need to do an audit at some point, and give everything another health check.

P1040118_zpsy4sw0az1.JPG

Now you know what I'm trying to avoid with pipe tobacco, and why :D

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

Most store fine, or seem to, and I've got snuffs that were from back in 2013, and have been perfectly fine. I've had others, a couple of the coarser Sam Gawiths, and Best Dark from Wilsons, where the tins rusted.

I've also had some spoil to mould, both in tins, and in jars. The best worst case (if that makes sense), is the ones that dry out. They can be rehydrated. The ones lost to rust and mould, are gone forever.

My bulk snuffs have been transferred to bail top jars. I've got maybe 10 in those, holding up to 500g, though I did have to pack some of those down hard. The tins with the moister snuffs, were transferred to smaller 70ml bail to jars. Some stayed fine, some went awry, some had to be discarded. The ones that seem to have survived the best, are those with regular Toque level hydration, including the regular Wilsons, Gawith Hoggarth (though they dried), the finer Sam Gawiths, etc

For moist coarse snuffs like Fribourg and Treyer Princes and Santa Domingo - buy them and use them - they won't keep. Their Bordeaux, Morlaix, Macouba etc, will keep.

I have got some in small moister snuffs in small jam type jars, with regular sealed screw tops. Toque Ambrosia, Wilson's Best Dark and the like. So far, so good.

Here's an old pic of my stash. It's changed a fair bit in the last five years ago since that picture was taken. Some used, some spoiled, some new added to it. I need to do an audit at some point, and give everything another health check.

View attachment 1106681

OMG!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
@brandaves @Mike H It looks like Dave and the crew have been working on the website at MrSnuff, which might account for the difficulties. This announcement just went up on Snuffhouse an hour ago...

I don't know where the security question came up but I just signed up for Apple Pay which Mr. Snuff takes so that will eliminate any credit card hanky panky and you can order without fear. I'm calling The Briar Shop in Houson, TX tomorrow to see if they have what I'm looking for. If they don't, I'll use Mr. Snuff.

brandaves

View attachment 1106681

Thanks for the reply. I have a habit of diving into these things head first and the order I have out is indicative of that...needless to say, I'm going to be snuff rich for a while and I'd prefer to store it so that it will keep (of course). Now I'm afraid of spoilage before I get to it! I appreciate your expertise.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for the reply. I have a habit of diving into these things head first and the order I have out is indicative of that...needless to say, I'm going to be snuff rich for a while and I'd prefer to store it so that it will keep (of course). Now I'm afraid of spoilage before I get to it! I appreciate your expertise.

My top three tips would be:
Jar moist coarse snuffs. Don't leave them tinned.
Refrigerate anything by Walter Scotts
F&T Santa Domingo and Princes are fantastic, but don't keep well.

The good thing about snuff, is that its (here at least) WAY cheaper than pipe tobacco. If a bit gets spoiled along the way, shrug it off, and keep smiling.

brandaves

My top three tips would be:
Jar moist coarse snuffs. Don't leave them tinned.
Refrigerate anything by Walter Scotts
F&T Santa Domingo and Princes are fantastic, but don't keep well.

The good thing about snuff, is that its (here at least) WAY cheaper than pipe tobacco. If a bit gets spoiled along the way, shrug it off, and keep smiling.
My problem is that I don't know how moist something is until it's open...I'll get there I suppose. Thank you so much for the advice!

brandaves

My first snuff order arrived today. A tin each of Viking Blonde, Viking Brown, Viking Dark, Viking Thor's Hammer, Hedges and three tap boxes of Bernard's. Currently working through a tin of Bernard's steife Prise...a wonderful mentholated snuff!

Top Bottom