What's new

Snuff question

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My first snuff order arrived today. A tin each of Viking Blonde, Viking Brown, Viking Dark, Viking Thor's Hammer, Hedges and three tap boxes of Bernard's. Currently working through a tin of Bernard's steife Prise...a wonderful mentholated snuff!

Just to preempt a later issue, if any snuff is dry, or goes dry before you finish it, it's an easy fix. Get yourself a "day box", an empty 10g Toque tin works great if you don't have a snuffbox yet. Decant a bit into that, and keep the rest sealed and fresh.

When it dries out, don't try to rehydrate the whole tin. Leave it "sleeping", and rehydrate it in your "day box" as needed. It's as simple as getting a food container, putting in your open snuffbox at one end, and a damp paper towel at the other, then pop the lid on and leave overnight.

IMG_20200423_134050_1200_900.jpg

Fine snuffs will be ready the next morning. Coarser grinds like Viking Brown might take 24 hours. It takes seconds at the end of a day to turn dusty gritty snuff into lovely fragrant fluffy snuff the next morning. If you do it with the whole tin though, you'll just have to do it several times before the tin is finished, and you'll end up flushing out the scent. Better to just leave it as it is, and just rehydrate once. Same goes for over filling the day box. You'll soon get the feel of how much to put in, so you use it up before it turns to sneezing powder.

Another quick tip for tea drinkers (Steve?), is waft the lid of the snuffbox through the steam from the spout when making a brew. That light condensation can help restore a little freshness to an ailing snuff. Again, best not to over do it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Just to preempt a later issue, if any snuff is dry, or goes dry before you finish it, it's an easy fix. Get yourself a "day box", an empty 10g Toque tin works great if you don't have a snuffbox yet. Decant a bit into that, and keep the rest sealed and fresh.

When it dries out, don't try to rehydrate the whole tin. Leave it "sleeping", and rehydrate it in your "day box" as needed. It's as simple as getting a food container, putting in your open snuffbox at one end, and a damp paper towel at the other, then pop the lid on and leave overnight.

View attachment 1113718

Fine snuffs will be ready the next morning. Coarser grinds like Viking Brown might take 24 hours. It takes seconds at the end of a day to turn dusty gritty snuff into lovely fragrant fluffy snuff the next morning. If you do it with the whole tin though, you'll just have to do it several times before the tin is finished, and you'll end up flushing out the scent. Better to just leave it as it is, and just rehydrate once. Same goes for over filling the day box. You'll soon get the feel of how much to put in, so you use it up before it turns to sneezing powder.

Another quick tip for tea drinkers (Steve?), is waft the lid of the snuffbox through the steam from the spout when making a brew. That light condensation can help restore a little freshness to an ailing snuff. Again, best not to over do it.
It is so great to have an experienced snuffed on board. They are few and far between! Thanks
Steve

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification

View attachment 1113718

Excellent tips and advice I will take advantage of. Thank you so much!

Ok, so I'm not quite there yet, but I am curious. And this looks like the right thread.

How's the nicotine in snuff? I'm a pack and a half to two pack a day smoker, so that'll be my metrics for strong. And yes, I know it'll vary wildly from brand to brand and time of day and phase of the moon and varying mileage. Like, how often would I want to take a hit? Does the nicotine ramp up and fade out? Thank you everyone.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Ok, so I'm not quite there yet, but I am curious. And this looks like the right thread.

How's the nicotine in snuff? I'm a pack and a half to two pack a day smoker, so that'll be my metrics for strong. And yes, I know it'll vary wildly from brand to brand and time of day and phase of the moon and varying mileage. Like, how often would I want to take a hit? Does the nicotine ramp up and fade out? Thank you everyone.

I quit smoking cigs with vape and snuff. It took a while to acclimatise. I was getting all the nic I needed and more, but the addiction to the noxious (non-nicotine) combustion fumes, took a while to fight through. It also took a while for my brain to differentiate between those fumes and nicotine, to be satisfied with what I was getting from snuff, and not miss the combustion fumes.

You may have noticed with the pipe, that there's a steadier ramp upwards than with cigarettes. Snuff is the same. Essentially with snuff, you're making a "tea" in your nose. The juices up there both leach out the tobacco goodness, and transfer it to your nasal passage lining. With finer snuffs, it happens quicker, but lasts a shorter time. Coarser snuffs are more gradual, but longer lived (assuming you don't blow before it's done). Toasts for a quick hit, and rappee for a slow simmering glow.

Top tips:
Drink plenty of fluids. Nicotine is a diuretic, and you lose extra fluids from nose blowing and/or back drip (which is your nose clearing itself naturally, backwards, and being swallowed. Also, a large percentage of cigarette cravings are confused needs. Thirst, hunger, tiredness and low O2 levels get confused as "need a cig". Keeping fluids up scratches one of the main ones off the list, increasing the satisfaction from snuff.

If your nose is dry, snuff won't work. However, a small pinch can help to get the juices started, so you can take a larger pinch. My nose can't handle fine snuffs at all, just my physiology - but I cheat! I take a pinch of coarse snuff first, this gets the juices flowing, and acts as a filter to catch the finer snuff.

Beyond that, you would need to try it. Depending what you like, and what you don't, I might be able to give more pointers. I can't use menthol as it burns me (in shaving products too) so I'm not well versed in those.

What worries me is my sinuses. When my son was a baby just learning to stand, I had him standing on my thighs with his hands holding my thumbs. Well, the little bundle of joy wobbled and cracked my nose but good. Since then, bad allergies and weird sinus pressures.

I have enough money pits, er hobbies, for now. But, like I said, I'm just curious. Honestly, until I came here I didn't even know they still made snuff.

brandaves

I'm still new to it myself but I dipped for over 20 years and got off the stuff with a pipe and now snuff. @AimlessWanderer is more or less the resident expert at the moment. If you have questions about mentholated snuffs I'm your man. I like them a lot and could already recommend a handful that I enjoy quite a bit. I use snuff between pipes to satisfy a quick nic hankering and it works great. I don't stink and as long as I sniff discreetly and wipe my nose after no one is the wiser. There are all sorts to choose from flavor and variety abound. Perhaps the best part, it's super cheap. Probably the cheapest nic fix around...at least that I know of. Take a look at Toque and Mr. Snuff. Orders are taking a while to deliver but they are reliable to the states.

brandaves

What worries me is my sinuses. When my son was a baby just learning to stand, I had him standing on my thighs with his hands holding my thumbs. Well, the little bundle of joy wobbled and cracked my nose but good. Since then, bad allergies and weird sinus pressures.

I have enough money pits, er hobbies, for now. But, like I said, I'm just curious. Honestly, until I came here I didn't even know they still made snuff.
As long as you can still inhale through your nose, you can take snuff.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I get bad hayfever, and snuff actually helps! You don't intentionally snuff into your sinuses anyway, just your nose. If it hits your sinuses, it's gone too far back... although some will. If you are interested, snuff is cheap! Someone over there might be able to let you have a little sampler, maybe.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm still new to it myself but I dipped for over 20 years and got off the stuff with a pipe and now snuff. @AimlessWanderer is more or less the resident expert at the moment. I

I wouldn't go that far :lol: I have been snuffing a few years, but predominantly stick to English snuffs. Menthols, toasts, schmaltzers, and the American snuffs are all beyond my experience for the most part :lol1:

Top Bottom