What's new

Snuff Journey of the Rat

So after an afternoon and evening of taking some pinches of the Silver Dollar and Ozona, I grabbed a pinch of the American Snuff Co. stuff... and it just really pales in comparison. If that sort of snuff is the first try of snuff many get, it's no wonder they never want to try it again. I'm just stubborn and had a co-worker tell me that brand isn't like the snuff he gets at all, so I put in the order and searched out brands he and others here recommended. Otherwise I may not have decided to try others, either.

It's a good thing you perservered, I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the first tin of snuff I try....when it finally arrives.

It's a good thing you perservered, I'll keep that in mind if I don't like the first tin of snuff I try....when it finally arrives.

Yeah, but iirc you ordered some stuff that is pretty highly regarded by general snuff users. I ordered the snuff equiv of like Garcia Vega gas station cigars while waiting on an order of CAO's, or such. lol

In other news, mixing the Ozona mentholated with the sweet peach stuff at about 70/30 made a nice blend. Still mellow and menthol, but has a nice background of sweet tobacco, instead of just menthol with a backend of menthol.

The other half wanted to hit the aquarium store, which is just down the road from the largest tobacco shop in this area, so I convinced her I'd tag along if we stopped there as well. I was mostly looking to get some 1oz samples of bulk pipe tobacco, narrow down to some others I really like, and start buying in bulk and cellaring for a rainy day... I figured while there tho, no reason to not pick up another snuff to try out, so I grabbed the Toque Black Cherry.

It's another pretty dry fine ground, and so far, not that impressed over all. It has more of a burn to it than the Silver Dollar apricot, and doesn't have really much longevity, either. The cherry is sort of a fast and short small hit of flavor, then within a few minutes itfades off to almost nothing. Not horrible, but not something I'd buy again, I'd say.

So the Toque Black Cherry is growing on me, I do really wish it had better longevity still.

On another note, if it's a bit dark, and you are a bit distracted, stop to take the time to be sure you are opening the tin the correct side up... the lid will NOT fit the contents of the whole tin, if you open it upside down. I have now removed the label from the bottom of both metal tins I have, to make the difference between them way more obvious at a glance. lol

My snuff order includes some Gawith Hoggarth Cherry, as well as Rockit Cherry. I'll add other cherry flavors onto my next order as well, most likely, since I really like that, just not as happy with how short lived the Toque is.

Snuff order arrived, I posted the pic in the Tobacquisitions for January thread, but I'll pop it here as well:

View attachment 405473

I'll give some reviews and thoughts on each as I really give them a trial, but so far, the only one I'm not so sure on over all is the Toque. 2 different types of Toque I've tried, and both just don't have my longevity to them over all. They are also a drier fine snuff, so I have to watch how hard I sniff, and they have a slight warming/burn to them sometimes.

For the cherry fans, I'd say the RockIt Cherry is the best of the three I've now tried.

I really liked SG Cola, hopefully the Poschl Gawith Cola is just as good. I had a 10g tap box of the SG, so it was pretty dry, I'll definitely get a 25g tin of it at some point.

I've heard good things about Viking Peach as well.

The Viking Peach is really excellent, from a first impression. Opening the tin for the first time proved to be a chore that needed a lot more muscle than I thought... fair warning on that part. lol

Very potent on the tobacco, but also the fruity side, and had great longevity. It's pretty dark and seems to have a good moisture content as well.

I wonder how much difference between the two Gawith cola's there actually is... lol

The Viking Peach is really excellent, from a first impression. Opening the tin for the first time proved to be a chore that needed a lot more muscle than I thought... fair warning on that part. lol

Very potent on the tobacco, but also the fruity side, and had great longevity. It's pretty dark and seems to have a good moisture content as well.

I wonder how much difference between the two Gawith cola's there actually is... lol

I'll keep the Viking tin issue in mind. I'm, rather impatiently, waiting until I'm fully healed from nasal surgery to crack it open.

SG Cola tasted like RC Cola. If you end up getting something similar from the Poschl Gawith, then I would bet they're the same thing. Mr. Snuff doesn't have any SG Cola in stock right now.

I'm noticing that a lot of the snuff is at least lightly mentholated, which sometimes gets in the way of the tobacco under notes it could have. The cola was sort of RC like, but I only had one small pinch and didn't have it on a fresh "palate". I'll keep that comparison in mind for when I give it the full evaluation.

So, Poschl Gawith Cola... it's nice, but I'd not call it like RC Cola at all, really. The cola is a back ground to the menthol, unfortunately. The Poschl Gawith Apricot is similar in that the menthol takes more of front seat than I'd prefer. I'd definitely put the Silver Dollar Apricot over this one, unless you are a huge menthol fan.

I'll have to try to get a hold of some of the SG Cola now to compare.

So, Poschl Gawith Cola... it's nice, but I'd not call it like RC Cola at all, really. The cola is a back ground to the menthol, unfortunately. The Poschl Gawith Apricot is similar in that the menthol takes more of front seat than I'd prefer. I'd definitely put the Silver Dollar Apricot over this one, unless you are a huge menthol fan.

I'll have to try to get a hold of some of the SG Cola now to compare.

I think you'll like the SG Cola if you're looking for more of that than menthol. It's probably got a hint of menthol, but it's very much in the background and blends nicely into the cola flavor. Toque Coke is said to taste exactly like Coca Cola. Might be worth getting a small tin of that as well if you aren't completely turned of by Toque yet.

I think you'll like the SG Cola if you're looking for more of that than menthol. It's probably got a hint of menthol, but it's very much in the background and blends nicely into the cola flavor. Toque Coke is said to taste exactly like Coca Cola. Might be worth getting a small tin of that as well if you aren't completely turned of by Toque yet.

I'd be willing to try the small 10g tin of Toque cola. I'm not ordering any other "sample" type stuff in the bigger tins again, that's for sure. lol I have a pretty huge tin of the Toque raspberry here now. It blends well with the GH cherry though, I'll give it that.

My snuff finally came! I have to say I was impressed with the shipment speed from Europe, it came to Canada faster than most parcels from the US. I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know my first impressions. It smells *fantastic*, waiting until tomorrow is going to be a chore.

Last edited:
My snuff finally came! I have to say I was impressed with the shipment speed from Europe, it came to Canada faster than most parcels from the US. I'll try it tomorrow and let you guys know my first impressions. It smells *fantastic*, waiting until tomorrow is going to be a chore.

Looking forward to hearing about your impressions and experiences, for sure. :thumbup:

So I took my first hit of snuff today. The first hit was very cautious(and not enough snuff) so it was a very mild almost non existent experience. I was a little let down. I promptly took a second larger snuff. Whoa, what a lovely rush of menthol and fragrant scent. The Poschl Alpina is a lovely bast of menthol, raspberry, tobacco, and something else. On the first hit I thought I felt something going down my throat, but I think that was just paranoia since the second hit was much larger and nothing went down my throat at all. I'm not sure if I want to become a full time snuffer due to my paranoia over health concerns, but I definitely *want* to now :lol:

So I took my first hit of snuff today. The first hit was very cautious(and not enough snuff) so it was a very mild almost non existent experience. I was a little let down. I promptly took a second larger snuff. Whoa, what a lovely rush of menthol and fragrant scent. The Poschl Alpina is a lovely bast of menthol, raspberry, tobacco, and something else. On the first hit I thought I felt something going down my throat, but I think that was just paranoia since the second hit was much larger and nothing went down my throat at all. I'm not sure if I want to become a full time snuffer due to my paranoia over health concerns, but I definitely *want* to now :lol:

Read up the info online about snuff and health concerns. You'll be pleasantly surprised, I'm thinking.

All the Poschl stuff I have tried has that menthol hit in it, which is nice, but sometimes I want less or no menthol, and more of the pure fruit and/or tobacco.

Top Bottom