What's new

Snowy day pastime with blades

With the "Blizzard of 2011" raging away outside here in Chicago, last night I grabbed my zip lock bag of blades and headed to the basement. I bought the selection of 100 blades from multiple manufacturers some time back. So I set up shop at a table with some of the blades, my scissors and a paper towel to hold each blade as I worked on it.

I trimmed them into two different piles. One pile I trimmed off the ends so that the end of the blade does not project outside the end of the razor on my Gillettes. The other pile took a bit longer and it was for my Segal. Trimming the interior of the blade to fit down over the proprietary design of the Segal razor. Each blade was held with a paper towel in one hand while trimming with the other. Then I carefully put each blade back into the paper envelope that it came in. The two piles went back into small razor containers labeled on the outside as to their identity. A simple pleasure on a stormy night.

I am proud to announce not a nick, which is some kind of record for me I can assure you - not the most coordinated guy around I'm afraid. It helped to have a small pair of scissors to trim out the interior of what would become the Segal blades. They have short blades that are gently curved and so cut around the corner easily. The ends of the other pile were simply snipped off with kitchen scissors. Now they are stored and ready to go when needed. No longer necessary to trim each one whenever I change blades.

Wow...never thought of trimming blades. :laugh:

You even re-wrapped them...crazy! I mean, impressive! :wink2:

I was stuck inside yesterday too...I cleaned the bathroom, did some plumbing (wife didn't like the water pressure on a bathroom tap so I took it apart and cleaned the internals/filter...it's like a fire hose now), baked oatmeal cookies with my son and made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce from scratch...ate half, froze half.

Why does it matter if the ends of the blade stick out on the Gillette razors? :confused1

Well I never did initially but then I read on a thread posted by another addict of DE. He nicked his ear as he swept past the sideburns and it sounded like a scene out of Monte Python. I looked at it closely - the ends of the blades are not sharpened but it did seem plausible that it could happen. In MY case it wouldn't be plausible nor possible but likely being how I am.

An ounce of prevention... and it is an easy snip and you are good to go.

Well I never did initially but then I read on a thread posted by another addict of DE. He nicked his ear as he swept past the sideburns and it sounded like a scene out of Monte Python. I looked at it closely - the ends of the blades are not sharpened but it did seem plausible that it could happen. In MY case it wouldn't be plausible nor possible but likely being how I am.

An ounce of prevention... and it is an easy snip and you are good to go.

Be careful man, your wife may say that to you about other things.

Top Bottom