What's new

Snob Chefs

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I don't like being negative...sometimes I do....and thats honest. But for the most part snob chefs are like Top Gun fighter pilots. Ya have to be arrogant over the top sometimes to get a cook on.

Chefs I don't like.....but watch.

Steve Raichlen
Mary Ann Esposito
Guy Fieri
Martha Stewart

What cooks/chefs do you watch that...well....?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Can’t stand many on Food Network. Give me real chefs, that explain what they are doing, likes Jacques Pepin or Justin Wilson (I know, polar opposites, but both authentic)

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
We get different programming on Food Network here in the UK. I quite enjoy Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, and Diners Drive Ins And Dives. Not really cookery programs but entertaining enough for 30 minutes. Giada de Laurentiis could pop over and cook me breakfast any time she likes.

Loved giada when she was on.

Really enjoyed short lived lorraine pascales show. She actually seemed to know what she was doing.

Nigella was fun to watch too

kenji alt lopez seems to be interesting, enjoy his writing more than his shows

Sarah moulton i totally enjoyed watching and i liked the ATK crew. Still getting milk street now that chris left CI.

BUT brad leone is probably my favorite right now.

Not digging the reality contest based hosts that ive seen.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
We get different programming on Food Network here in the UK. I quite enjoy Chopped, Restaurant Impossible, and Diners Drive Ins And Dives. Not really cookery programs but entertaining enough for 30 minutes. Giada de Laurentiis could pop over and cook me breakfast any time she likes.
See my wife just loathes Giada. Her head is too big for her body....just kidding. But I would consider her a food snob because she spits out everything she cooks.

Lary and Laban....

I still do a few of their recipes...

Not been shown since Laban passed away in 1999.

Worth searching out their early episodes when most of their equipment came from thrift stores or were donated.

Very few episodes did not leave me in tears from laughter.

I don't like being negative...sometimes I do....and thats honest. But for the most part snob chefs are like Top Gun fighter pilots. Ya have to be arrogant over the top sometimes to get a cook on.

Steve Raichlen
Mary Ann Esposito
Guy Fieri
Martha Stewart

I quite like Steve Raichlen. He's got a funny approach, but it works. I learned quite a bit from the old Food Network "chop and talk" programs, but since they moved to reality-show based programs I stopped watching. You can find some of the old crew on PBS occasionally.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I quite like Steve Raichlen. He's got a funny approach, but it works. I learned quite a bit from the old Food Network "chop and talk" programs, but since they moved to reality-show based programs I stopped watching. You can find some of the old crew on PBS occasionally.
I don't watch much of food network. But I like Man Fire Food, Pioneer Women and The Kitchen...that about it.

gordon ramsay can't watch this guy at all

My wife and I were talking about this just this morning when we went out for breakfast - he was number 1 cannot watch. I like his food and have a couple of his cookbooks, but he irritates the wotsit out of me. Mary Berry is another one, supercilious harridan. Don't like her food anyway.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Who is the blonde guy from Britain that yells at chef contestants? There is a meme of him holding a person's head between pieces of bread and screaming "what are you?" and they answer "a stupid sandwich." I think that's the answer.

I could easily make him into a pig roast.

Who is the blonde guy from Britain that yells at chef contestants? There is a meme of him holding a person's head between pieces of bread and screaming "what are you?" and they answer "a stupid sandwich." I think that's the answer.

I could easily make him into a pig roast.
Sounds like Gordon Ramsey to me.

The gold standard is still Julia Child.

Her shows would definitely not make it today. They require a longer attention span than a couple of minutes. Can you imagine a chef demonstrating painstakingly how to peel a potato over a couple of minutes? So precise, so technique driven... If you watch her show and follow her instructions to the letter, the dish came out exactly as is she had cooked it.

Even the decent chef's become entertainers once they're on TV.

Steve Raichlen
Mary Ann Esposito
Guy Fieri
Martha Stewart

I agree with most of your list but would only actually watch Steve Raichlen. Mostly, I don't enjoy his approach and comments but I will watch BBQ shows when there is nothing else on and I found some good stuff/recepies in his books.

Tom

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Michael Symon has a certain appeal, but I haven't seen a cooking tv show since the gym closed

Top Bottom