What's new

Smoothest blade

Received the Nacets yesterday, very good smooth shave, date stamped on the box is 2020 with a lot of Arabic writing, guess my last ones to try are the Bic’s, I have Kai, Astra, Nacets, Gillette Yellows and Green, Lab Blue, Personna Platinum and GSB. Are the Bics made in Greece, planning on a trip their in the not to distant future,

Received the Nacets yesterday, very good smooth shave, date stamped on the box is 2020 with a lot of Arabic writing, guess my last ones to try are the Bic’s, I have Kai, Astra, Nacets, Gillette Yellows and Green, Lab Blue, Personna Platinum and GSB. Are the Bics made in Greece, planning on a trip their in the not to distant future,
Bics are made in Greece.

What’s your ranking of what you tried so far?

Weepers have nothing to do with the blades you are using. They are caused by little bumps in your skin getting nicked. Try using something to smoothen your skin like a mild acid exfoliant and a moisturizer with skin barrier ingredients like ceramides.

Weepers have nothing to do with the blades you are using. They are caused by little bumps in your skin getting nicked. Try using something to smoothen your skin like a mild acid exfoliant and a moisturizer with skin barrier ingredients like ceramides.
With respect -- If it had nothing to do with the blades, then why do only some blades, and consistently only those ones, cause the problem? Not saying skin is not a contributing factor, but the blade plays a role as well.

Last edited:
Bics are made in Greece.

What’s your ranking of what you tried so far?
Really like the Nacet but it’s only been one shave, yellows are my favourite so far, only tried the Kai a few times so not sure yet and GSB gave me a bit of trouble so not sure on that one either but tried it in my new GC.84 so maybe getting used to a new razor caused some issues.

With respect -- If it had nothing to do with the blades, then why do only some blades, and consistently only those ones, cause the problem? Not saying skin is not a contributing factor, but the blade plays a role as well.
It could be just random. There are de minimus differences between blades nowadays. I cannot see how one could cause weepers and one not. I just haven’t noticed anything major between blades since they are all precision made now. The condition of your skin is the most important logically because you are passing a stiff plane across it. The smoother it is the easier shaving is.

It could be just random. There are de minimus differences between blades nowadays. I cannot see how one could cause weepers and one not. I just haven’t noticed anything major between blades since they are all precision made now. The condition of your skin is the most important logically because you are passing a stiff plane across it. The smoother it is the easier shaving is.
that is very lucky for you. some of us, i.e. with tough beards, do notice the difference between blades. Some blades cause weepers for me too. they are usually the not so sharp ones, but could be any subpar blade. Astra SP (loved by many) always nicks me. I can shave with aggressive razors with the sharpest of blades, no nicks (unless I mess up.), but the Astra can nick me in an R89. YMMV.

that is very lucky for you. some of us, i.e. with tough beards, do notice the difference between blades. Some blades cause weepers for me too. they are usually the not so sharp ones, but could be any subpar blade. Astra SP (loved by many) always nicks me. I can shave with aggressive razors with the sharpest of blades, no nicks (unless I mess up.), but the Astra can nick me in an R89. YMMV.
I think under controlled testing conditions there would be virtually no difference between different blades unless the blade was of very poor quality. The way people compare blades is under highly variable conditions and since shaving is not a precise activity one could conclude that one blade is sharper or smoother than another. I honestly don’t think there is any measurable difference between blades especially used in the same razor with the same cream, gel or soap, but we like to think so and it’s understandable.

I think under controlled testing conditions there would be virtually no difference between different blades unless the blade was of very poor quality. The way people compare blades is under highly variable conditions and since shaving is not a precise activity one could conclude that one blade is sharper or smoother than another. I honestly don’t think there is any measurable difference between blades especially used in the same razor with the same cream, gel or soap, but we like to think so and it’s understandable.
That’s how I shave. Same razor same soap same brush. The only thing that changes is the blade. Even with the same blade type I get an occasional dud.

I think I have heard better things about the second one, but I personally haven't tried it. I only tried the first one and didn't think much of it.
For me the second one is unbelievably smooth. Unfortunately, I have never tried the first (Navy Blue) one. My understanding is that the second variant tries to replicate the feel of the now discontinued Gillette Swedes.

I tend to agree with you. I do grant that some will have a more difficult time shaving than I do.

I find that blades are more alike than different. The differences in my shaves is due mostly to the razor I am using than the blade.

If there are defects in the blade, they will manifest themselves all over your face. If the blade is not defective, then it is a smooth, sharp piece of metal.

The variable is the shaving surface and shaving technique. If and when I nick myself, I attribute it to operator error, not the blade. Sometimes it is not operator error, but a small bump on my face that wasn't there the previous day.

I don't blame the razor blade because it encountered a tiny bump on my face and cut through it.

I accept your experience, but I also know mine. Many times I only change the blade, everything else remains the same. There are huge differences in their performance. Furthermore, there is a website (search in your fav search engine: refined shave) that measured the sharpness of a lot of blades. (please don't try to nitpick on their method.) Just accept that some people can feel a difference, as we accept that you don't.

P.s.: there are many threads here with photos of blades under microscope, not one of them is identical.

I tend to agree with you. I do grant that some will have a more difficult time shaving than I do.

I find that blades are more alike than different. The differences in my shaves is due mostly to the razor I am using than the blade.

If there are defects in the blade, they will manifest themselves all over your face. If the blade is not defective, then it is a smooth, sharp piece of metal.

The variable is the shaving surface and shaving technique. If and when I nick myself, I attribute it to operator error, not the blade. Sometimes it is not operator error, but a small bump on my face that wasn't there the previous day.

I don't blame the razor blade because it encountered a tiny bump on my face and cut through it.
I always think of the clear glass vs frosted glass analogy. If you get paint on clear glass it is a whole lot easier scraping it off than frosted glass. As you alluded to, the smoother your skin the easier it is to shave and the less irritation there will be.

When I first started this hobby I thought that all blades were the same - they were all razor sharp. That is just one of the many myths I learned wasn't true. There is a large variation in blades, much more than I imagined.

Another thing I learned - different blades pair better/worse with different razors. I need a very sharp blade in my Hensons, but that blade will filet my face with a Blackbird, where I use a duller/smoother blade. I did not think that would be true, but learned the hard way and learned it repeatedly.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
As I've posted many times, I copied several of the master shavers here and purchased the blades they favor the most. I can't tell the differences between them when I shave and the razor doesn't seem to matter all that much. Are there subtle differences? I'm sure there are but I haven't been around long enough to detail them. If I get a great shave, I'm not surprised since blade X worked for several other people more knowledgeable than me.

I started out with an AC razor and I can tell differences between those blades. Based those first 6 months out of 7, using one razor and the various AC blades around, I was able to select those that worked the best for me.

I don't have 5 or 6 months on any other single razor. That might well be the reason I don't notice the blade differences. After another year or so, I might have a completely different take.

Top Bottom