What's new

Smoothest Blade ?

Forget efficiency. Forget how many shaves.
What is your smoothest blade?
What razor(s) work best with that blade?
For me Derby Extra blades are the smoothest in EJ DE89 and Timeless SS.

Forgetting efficiency, and number of shaves, my smoothest blade would have to be Big Ben in my MTO Devette. Best blade? No. But definitely smooth and no irritation, and you can guarantee BBS when the blade is new.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I find the Shark Super Chrome to be smooth, but irritation can result from the inefficiency of the blade. The smoothest blades I own that actually cut properly, are probably SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium.

this is a question that I have seen numerous times and one that I was always on the lookout for when I jumped into wet shaving, for me, the smoothest blades seem to be matched with certain equipment.

Astra Green / Merkur 37C - probably the smoothest shave ever, very proficient and zero tugging
Gillette SB / Gillette Red Tip SS - also very smooth and very sharp
Feather / Parker Variant - Set on 2 this combo delivers a very smooth shave (super loud feedback)

it is strange how certain blade/razor pairings work but that was half the fun finding what works best and what feels the best, I hate tuggy shaves. I don't chase the dragon for BBS, I am a basic 2 pass (daily) DFS type user and that leaves me happy and irritation free.

Depending upon the razor, my three staples are Persona Red, KAI, and Rapira Platinum Lux blades. The latter two are sharper than a feather by the 2nd or 3rd shave, as the Feather dulls and they become sharper and sharper, but keep every bit of their smoothness, and may actually become even smoother. (By the 2nd shave, the Rapira is probably sharper than an New Feather, but still very smooth).

Honorable mention to the Astra, GSB, and Nacet, however, they seem top have more blade feel in some razors.

Probably isn't a be all smoothest blade across the board, as they each have their own personalities in a given razor.

Voskhod is the smoothest for me. I have used it in the following razors: Karve, Mergress, UK and US Aristocrat. The Timor is another one that is super smooth.

Voskhod, especially in a Gillette Slim. I used setting 6 for the first pass and dialed down to 4 for both 2nd and 3rd passes and needed no touch up.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
My Face Loves Vintage Gillette Spoilers
works well with almost all my Razors
SWR_2653.JPG

Smoothest blade...Hmmm... Voskhod would take the first place, then a close second and third SuperMax Super Stainless and Blue Diamond Titanium. A very good balance between sharpness and smoothness goes to the Rapira Platinum lux, Astra SP and Gilette Platinums.
Also, contrary to what was said before Kai do not seem smooth at all to me and not as sharp as Feather. But I got 50 of them for an acceptable price so can't complain too much. YMMV

As part of an order, I added a tuck of Gillette Platinums. I've been using them in a Maggard V3, comparing them to Gillette Silver Blues this past week. Right now I have to give a small marginal point to the Platinums for smoothness and sharpness.

Other smooth blades that I enjoy are Voskhods, Astra SP and Ascos.

Top Bottom