What's new

Smoothest ATG: Vector, Hawk, or One Blade Hybrid

Hmm, the part about blade chatter has me thinking I might be looking for a tool to solve my problems when instead I need to focus on technique with DE razors. I say that because I have both a Karve and Timeless and they both cause me issues with blade chatter on certain parts of my neck when I'm trying to get a very close shave. I was hoping an AC SE razor or the OneBlade might be better in that regard but it sounds like that may not be the case.
Are you sure you're not confusing blade skipping with blade chatter? I have a Ti95DC and have never experienced any chattering at all. I have experienced skipping when either my prep is lacking of I am in a rush to get through the shave and wield the razor in a careless manner. The design of the head was to eliminate any type of chatter that Matt and his brothers experienced in previous razor designs and one of the highlights of the razor in general...

Are you sure you're not confusing blade skipping with blade chatter? I have a Ti95DC and have never experienced any chattering at all. I have experienced skipping when either my prep is lacking of I am in a rush to get through the shave and wield the razor in a careless manner. The design of the head was to eliminate any type of chatter that Matt and his brothers experienced in previous razor designs and one of the highlights of the razor in general...

I'm not sure if it's blade chatter or skipping to be honest. I do know the problem seems to be worse with razors that don't support the blade well which is why I assumed it was blade chatter. It might be a little bit of both; I need to read up on each to make sure I understand exactly what chatter and skipping are.

I've got a Vector and used aluminum General head on the way. I couldn't resist the beauty of the Vector and couldn't resist having something to compare it with as well. The OneBlade might get a second look at some point in the future but for now I'll stick with these two. Thanks to everyone who provided advice, looking forward to starting my SE journey!

I have and used all of them, but the smoothest against the grain (and overall as well) is not on your list. It is Colonial General V2. Plus, there is an option you can buy the head only, if you like ofc.

I actually ordered a General v2 head today, along with a Vector and a Occam’s a couple days ago. I can’t wait to get them and start my SE journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a Vector and used aluminum General head on the way. I couldn't resist the beauty of the Vector and couldn't resist having something to compare it with as well. The OneBlade might get a second look at some point in the future but for now I'll stick with these two. Thanks to everyone who provided advice, looking forward to starting my SE journey!
@Wgg2017 I'm revisiting this old thread of yours and was wondering what your experiences have been with these two...?

Being in Europe puts thing in a slightly different perspective shipping costs wise. I can order the Colonial V2 head only (I don't like their handles at all) and have it shipped for a total of $140USD. OTOH, I can't order the Vector head only, so I need to get the entire razor with the stand. The machined version with shipping comes down to $250USD.

Looks wise I prefer the Vector, but I wonder how these two compare in efficiency, smoothness, closeness and overall "feel".

Got to say I am somewhat put off by Vectors rectangular threading, given I can screw the Colonial head onto any standard handle and use the stands I already have.

I guess my ultimate question is whether it's worth a $110USD extra for the Vector...

Much obliged for any comments! :straight:

@Wgg2017 I'm revisiting this old thread of yours and was wondering what your experiences have been with these two...?

Being in Europe puts thing in a slightly different perspective shipping costs wise. I can order the Colonial V2 head only (I don't like their handles at all) and have it shipped for a total of $140USD. OTOH, I can't order the Vector head only, so I need to get the entire razor with the stand. The machined version with shipping comes down to $250USD.

Looks wise I prefer the Vector, but I wonder how these two compare in efficiency, smoothness, closeness and overall "feel".

Got to say I am somewhat put off by Vectors rectangular threading, given I can screw the Colonial head onto any standard handle and use the stands I already have.

I guess my ultimate question is whether it's worth a $110USD extra for the Vector...

Much obliged for any comments! :straight:

The Vector top cap thread post is a standard thread and will accept most aftermarket handles in the market. You can strip a rounded post thread just as easily as a square one.

Can’t say anything about the shave characteristics between the Vector & General V2. I only have the Vector & the OG General in SS and Brass....

I’m sure someone will chime in shortly...

The Vector top cap thread post is a standard thread and will accept most aftermarket handles in the market. You can strip a rounded post thread just as easily as a square one.

Can’t say anything about the shave characteristics between the Vector & General V2. I only have the Vector & the OG General in SS and Brass....

I’m sure someone will chime in shortly...
Hey thanks for that!

So, what's your overall level of satisfaction with Vector, say on a scale of 1-10?

For the price, anything below 11 would be a disappointment, but lemme hear you nonetheless! 😂

Hey thanks for that!

So, what's your overall level of satisfaction with Vector, say on a scale of 1-10?

For the price, anything below 11 would be a disappointment, but lemme hear you nonetheless! 😂

Well, I don’t want to disappoint your expectations but, I’d say if there’s a razor in the AC SE world that might deserve that 10+ rating, this arguably could be it. The thing with the Vector for me at least is that it does everything in terms of performance very well. It might not be number #1 in any particular category but, it scores high enough in each of them that overall the perception and experience on my end is that it’s a world class shaver. Excellent efficiency with a range of blades to taylor your shave preference for the majority of shavers out there. Fitment and alloy make up is superb and maneuverability is unmatched in the AC SE Division at least in my opinion. It’s comfortable in the hands with very good balance and is perhaps the easiest razor to maneuver under the shnoz this side of an injector.

I love my Vector. It delivers every time regardless of growth. Worth it in my opinion.

Well, I don’t want to disappoint your expectations but, I’d say if there’s a razor in the AC SE world that might deserve that 10+ rating, this arguably could be it. The thing with the Vector for me at least is that it does everything in terms of performance very well. It might not be number #1 in any particular category but, it scores high enough in each of them that overall the perception and experience on my end is that it’s a world class shaver. Excellent efficiency with a range of blades to taylor your shave preference for the majority of shavers out there. Fitment and alloy make up is superb and maneuverability is unmatched in the AC SE Division at least in my opinion. It’s comfortable in the hands with very good balance and is perhaps the easiest razor to maneuver under the shnoz this side of an injector.

I love my Vector. It delivers every time regardless of growth. Worth it in my opinion.
Thanks! I really appreciate it. It is my #1 pick on the shortlist of AC-style-blade SEs, #2 being the Colonial General V2. And that's about it. So, it'll be either one of these two eventually.

Top Bottom