What's new

Smoothest ATG: Vector, Hawk, or One Blade Hybrid

I'm looking for a modern SE razor and have narrowed my list down to these three: Blackland Vector, Razorock Hawk, and OneBlade Hybrid. My biggest issue with DE razors is blade chatter when going against the grain so I wanted to try an SE razor to see if I could find something that works better. For those that have used at least 2 between the Blackland Vector, Razorock Hawk, and One Blade Hybrid, which one was smoothest against the grain? Also, which provided the closest shave? Thanks in advance for the advice!

I have and used all of them, but the smoothest against the grain (and overall as well) is not on your list. It is Colonial General V2. Plus, there is an option you can buy the head only, if you like ofc.

I have and used all of them, but the smoothest against the grain (and overall as well) is not on your list. It is Colonial General V2. Plus, there is an option you can buy the head only, if you like ofc.

I considered the Colonial General initially but read many reports that it wasn't very efficient. I like efficient razors that are also smooth. How would you rate the efficiency of the General compared to the others on my list?

There are DE razors that don't chatter. Gillette Post war Tech, SC, TTO's, Timeless, Karve, Feather ASD2, Razorock DE1, Game Changer to name a few.

I've tried the Oneblade Core and Genesis, I've used DE razors that are better, they're not for me.

I've used many on the AC razors available and no longer available, and the ones with the most blade exposure are over kill for me.

The RR Hawk is inexpensive and a fine razor to try. It gets the job done with a Schick Proline but I prefer my ATT SE1 with a Proline, which is the only AC blade I use. I settled on the SE1, but other AC razors are a close second.

I'm not a fan of floating blades.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
The RR Hawk is inexpensive and a fine razor to try.

The aluminum one appears to be no more and the all-steel replacements have thinner caps and more blade exposure (a Kai P!nk sticks out further in the steel Hawk than the taller Schick Proline does on the aluminum version).

Apologies to the OP that I lack the frame of reference to answer your question

I considered the Colonial General initially but read many reports that it wasn't very efficient. I like efficient razors that are also smooth. How would you rate the efficiency of the General compared to the others on my list?

I thought you cared about smoothness and comfort the most. Now adding efficiency ... well, let's see. Efficiency is somewhat relative. With the right blade (in SE, like the rest, there are blades for everything) you can make Colonial more efficient than the others on your list. Also, you can apply a little pressure (if you don't have a sensitive skin), or make a second pass ATG if you like and have time. However, based on efficiency alone I will take the Vector from the listed ones. This may be your razor too.

There are many personal variables and I cannot make the decision for you, but if you really want a smooth and comfy SE razor I'm not aware of better and more suitable choice.

The Vector & RR Hawk V1 are both excellent shavers yet on the OneBlade Hybrid I can't of since I own the Genesis V1. All 3 are great razors and quality attributes asserted to them. I also noticed you did not mention GEM bladed razors. Understandably GEM styled razors are extremely limited for a modern version but, there is the Blackland Sabre in either L1 or L2plates ( I own one and it's an excellent tool) and I will say there are a healthy availability of excellent vintage razors that use the GEM format blade. I have three that perform brilliantly in a Clog-Pruf, Pall Mall and a Contour. Plenty rigid even for the toughest of beards.

But, to your question of both smooth and efficient, the Vector is among the best and the RR Hawk SS as well. The key thing here though is the AC blade itself. You have a much larger selection of AC type blades that will change the shave characteristics to provide a milder or aggressive feeling shave experience. With the GEM style razors, you're stuck with GEM blades as well as with the OneBlade and their Feather FHS blades although one can modify GEMs to fit into them but, I think that can only be done with the V1 Genesis can't say about newer models and the Hybrid.

Point is, if you go the AC SE razor route you have options on blade selection to customize your shave preference and requirements. As mentioned from a previous member the SS General in either version is a quality tool as well and provides great shaves. I haven't tried RR's newest SS Hawk release but, from what I've read and see it's a heck of a razor with plates to accommodate and customize beards and shave style. Again, don't discount the vintage GEMs as there are some brilliant razors in that category....

I had a SS General V1 and it was as smooth and efficient a shaver as my Timeless Ti95DC. I shave every 2-3 days and every shave is a 2 pass BBS that lasts on avg 22-26 hrs, hence the reason I shave every other+ day. I sold the General because I just seemed to pick up the Ti95DC 9/10 and figured someone else would give the razor the use it deserved. I have thought of buying the new V2 recently but those thoughts waned as I am it would wind up being sold off in favor of the Ti95DC as well...

Of the three you mentioned I have only used the Hawk, both the aluminum V2 and the stainless steel V3. If you want smooth and efficient, it would not be my choice. It is very smooth, but not terribly efficient - at least with the standard base plate. I haven't tried the A (for aggressive) plate or the open comb. I have Classic Shaving's Enoch single edge razor and it is as smooth as the Hawk but more efficient. If you're not bothered by the awkward blade loading, it could be an excellent choice for you. While I've always admired the Vector, I just can't see spending $200 on a razor. The Enoch is half of that now, but the intro price was considerably less, roughly the same as the Hawk.

The Vector & RR Hawk V1 are both excellent shavers yet on the OneBlade Hybrid I can't of since I own the Genesis V1. All 3 are great razors and quality attributes asserted to them. I also noticed you did not mention GEM bladed razors. Understandably GEM styled razors are extremely limited for a modern version but, there is the Blackland Sabre in either L1 or L2plates ( I own one and it's an excellent tool) and I will say there are a healthy availability of excellent vintage razors that use the GEM format blade. I have three that perform brilliantly in a Clog-Pruf, Pall Mall and a Contour. Plenty rigid even for the toughest of beards.

But, to your question of both smooth and efficient, the Vector is among the best and the RR Hawk SS as well. The key thing here though is the AC blade itself. You have a much larger selection of AC type blades that will change the shave characteristics to provide a milder or aggressive feeling shave experience. With the GEM style razors, you're stuck with GEM blades as well as with the OneBlade and their Feather FHS blades although one can modify GEMs to fit into them but, I think that can only be done with the V1 Genesis can't say about newer models and the Hybrid.

Point is, if you go the AC SE razor route you have options on blade selection to customize your shave preference and requirements. As mentioned from a previous member the SS General in either version is a quality tool as well and provides great shaves. I haven't tried RR's newest SS Hawk release but, from what I've read and see it's a heck of a razor with plates to accommodate and customize beards and shave style. Again, don't discount the vintage GEMs as there are some brilliant razors in that category....

I should correct my post concerning the Pall Mall razor. This is not a razor designed for a GEM blade. It actually uses a wedge blade but, the Pall Mall that I own was modified to accept a GEM blade. My apologies.....

There are DE razors that don't chatter. Gillette Post war Tech, SC, TTO's, Timeless, Karve, Feather ASD2, Razorock DE1, Game Changer to name a few.

I've tried the Oneblade Core and Genesis, I've used DE razors that are better, they're not for me.

I've used many on the AC razors available and no longer available, and the ones with the most blade exposure are over kill for me.

The RR Hawk is inexpensive and a fine razor to try. It gets the job done with a Schick Proline but I prefer my ATT SE1 with a Proline, which is the only AC blade I use. I settled on the SE1, but other AC razors are a close second.

I'm not a fan of floating blades.

Hmm, the part about blade chatter has me thinking I might be looking for a tool to solve my problems when instead I need to focus on technique with DE razors. I say that because I have both a Karve and Timeless and they both cause me issues with blade chatter on certain parts of my neck when I'm trying to get a very close shave. I was hoping an AC SE razor or the OneBlade might be better in that regard but it sounds like that may not be the case.

I thought you cared about smoothness and comfort the most. Now adding efficiency ... well, let's see. Efficiency is somewhat relative. With the right blade (in SE, like the rest, there are blades for everything) you can make Colonial more efficient than the others on your list. Also, you can apply a little pressure (if you don't have a sensitive skin), or make a second pass ATG if you like and have time. However, based on efficiency alone I will take the Vector from the listed ones. This may be your razor too.

There are many personal variables and I cannot make the decision for you, but if you really want a smooth and comfy SE razor I'm not aware of better and more suitable choice.

I want it all! Smoothness, comfort, and efficiency! It's not often we find everything we want in a single product though.

For some reason GEM style razors have never appealed to me. I think it may be their bulkier design that turns me off and the lack of blade choice compared to DE and AC style razors. Although, as you point out, the OneBlade suffers from the same problem regarding lack of blade choice.

I just went to the Blackland website to look at the Sabre. Great looking razor but the last thing I need right now is to add additional variables to the mix. I have a hard enough time making up my mind as it is lol.

I want it all! Smoothness, comfort, and efficiency! It's not often we find everything we want in a single product though.

Define efficient!

I can BBS my face with a little blade exposure or a lot of blade exposure. With little exposure it takes more strokes than a lot of exposure, but it still takes multiple strokes with the most blade exposure to get BBS. A lot of blade exposure requires more focus on technique. I lather once and my razor doesn't stop until I hit BBS shaving directly ATG.

I find SE to be superior to DE, but I can get the same results from both.

Define efficient!

I can BBS my face with a little blade exposure or a lot of blade exposure. With little exposure it takes more strokes than a lot of exposure, but it still takes multiple strokes with the most blade exposure to get BBS. A lot of blade exposure requires more focus on technique. I lather once and my razor doesn't stop until I hit BBS shaving directly ATG.

I find SE to be superior to DE, but I can get the same results from both.

I always took efficient to mean requiring fewer passes to achieve a desired level of closeness, with the caveat that more efficient razors are also usually more likely to cause irritation if used incorrectly.

I have trouble sometimes getting a close shave with milder razors which is why I was looking for something efficient. I don't know if that's because I have thick whiskers or if I need to work on my technique. It's probably mostly technique, with a little bit of the problem being thick whiskers.

I always took efficient to mean requiring fewer passes to achieve a desired level of closeness, with the caveat that more efficient razors are also usually more likely to cause irritation if used incorrectly.

I have trouble sometimes getting a close shave with milder razors which is why I was looking for something efficient. I don't know if that's because I have thick whiskers or if I need to work on my technique. It's probably mostly technique, with a little bit of the problem being thick whiskers.

A good lather plays a big part also.

I have only used the One Blade out of those three. I use it as a touch up razor and for the back of my neck after a straight razor shave. Every once in awhile, if I am in a big hurry I skip the straight razor and only use the One Blade to do my entire shave. I do my first pass with the One Blade totally against the grain, and my second half past across the grain. I can tell you that the One Blade with the super sharp Fearther blade cuts against the grain without any skipping or chattering et cetera at all. It is extremely smooth and if the Feather blade is fresh (I don't have to change it very often because of how I use it) I have to be very careful to avoid getting a weeper.

Top Bottom