What's new

Smooth, creamy pipe tobacco blend recommendations?

I hope this post finds everyone well.

I'm looking for some recommendations on what I'll describe as smooth, buttery/creamy pipe tobacco blends. To narrow this down, I think I am looking for oriental-forward blends. I am really impressed by McB's HH Balkan Blend. I find it smooth and rich. At the same time, it has enough going on that it is not a boring, flat blend. I think that the smoothness and richness is coming from the Turkish component. Recently, I tried a bulk sample of C&D's Oriental Silk. It may have not been very fresh, who knows. I found a little bit of smoothness, but overall it was relatively flat and slightly boring. Not much creaminess/richness going on.

Given my take on these two blends, can anyone recommend other English/Balkan-style blends that put the smooth/creamy flavors at the forefront? I'm not looking for Latakia bombs - the Latakia level in HH Balkan Blend is about as high as I want to go for what I'm looking for. A little to taste is fine but I don't want a blend where Latakia dominates.

I prefer tinned tobacco. My little experience in having the same blend in both bulk and tinned form is that the bulk versions seem to lack freshness and the vivid flavors that I find in tinned tobacco.

Thank you all!

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
You may really like blends w Syrian Latakia. Syrian presents the softer side of Latakia, and there’s a nice sweetness with it. It’s becoming impossible to find, as the worlds supply is running out.

Blends currently in production w Syrian Latakia include: Brebbia Latakia flake, Brebbia Balkan, Solani Gold 779, Ashton Artisans blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys - I'll put these into my to-buy list for my next bulk order.

I am currently smoking a tin of Artisan's Blend. I bought it in January 2020 from my local shop and the guy said it was sitting in his case for about 2-3 years. It still mentions the Syrian. I noticed though that the SP website shows a label that doesn't have the word Syrian in it (though P&C's label still shows Syrian). I'm wondering if Ashton ran out of the Syrian. In any case, the version I am smoking is definitely smooth and I enjoy it a lot and will be purchasing more...

Hirsute

Thanks guys - I'll put these into my to-buy list for my next bulk order.

I am currently smoking a tin of Artisan's Blend. I bought it in January 2020 from my local shop and the guy said it was sitting in his case for about 2-3 years. It still mentions the Syrian. I noticed though that the SP website shows a label that doesn't have the word Syrian in it (though P&C's label still shows Syrian). I'm wondering if Ashton ran out of the Syrian. In any case, the version I am smoking is definitely smooth and I enjoy it a lot and will be purchasing more...

Interesting! It’s entirely possible they changed the label because they can’t get Syrian anymore, but I don’t know. The others I recommend don’t say Syrian, but they have it. It’s part of the reason there’re still available—they’re sleepers and the Syrian Latakia hounds don’t all know about them. Yet.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I find blends with some Lakeland essense give it a creamy mouthfeel sometimes.

A follow-up question: my original post assumes that Orientals are responsible for providing a creamy, buttery taste. Is that assumption incorrect? Syrian latakia and Lakeland essence have both been mentioned as specific ingredients, yet neither of these are present in HH Balkan Blend. I suppose that unflavored Cavendish added to latakia-containing mixtures would support the development of a smooth/sweet taste. And maybe burley could contribute as well to the smoothness. Maybe creaminess of these blends are largely brought out by masterful blending, and not just a single ingredient.

Interesting! It’s entirely possible they changed the label because they can’t get Syrian anymore, but I don’t know. The others I recommend don’t say Syrian, but they have it. It’s part of the reason there’re still available—they’re sleepers and the Syrian Latakia hounds don’t all know about them. Yet.

Yep, this is what happened. You can still find some of the older tins around that list Syrian, but all of the newer tins within the last year or so all have Cyprian.

I would also check out KBVen's Kings Ransom. This is similar to some mentioned tobacco's like Ashtons Artisan Blend and Quiet Nights, but is a little smoother.

Hirsute

The only oriental leaf I know that matches your description is basma, which has somewhat of a creamy vanilla flavor. But it can be really hard to pierce the veil of what type of oriental leaf is in a particular blend. Many that say “orientals” just has Turkish, and some have a blend of different leafs but they don’t usually tell you which ones.

The only oriental leaf I know that matches your description is basma, which has somewhat of a creamy vanilla flavor. But it can be really hard to pierce the veil of what type of oriental leaf is in a particular blend. Many that say “orientals” just has Turkish, and some have a blend of different leafs but they don’t usually tell you which ones.

Wow - seems like the only people who would know this type of information are the blenders themselves. As you mention, ingredient descriptions don't have this much detail on the tins.

Top Bottom