What's new

Smooth Coffee?

These are my sentiments exactly. I haven't left this stage yet, having just graduated from coffee-maker to French Press. I doubt I'll leave this stage because I'm happy and can't afford another expensive hobby (between amateur radio, guitar, and wetshaving, I'm all full there). Freshly ground coffee from a French Press is orders of magnitude better than drip.

...and, like wetshaving, you can either get solid results with a fairly inexpensive setup or a setup that breaks the bank. :thumbup:

The French Press is truly a fine example of great results for a minimal amount of fuss. The difference between the same beans in a coffee machine and a French Press is a taste I will never, ever forget.

Check out Burman Coffee Traders. They are based out of Wisconsin and they sell unroasted beans, and roasting and grinding equipment. I bought a $30 Hearthware adjustable burr grinder from them last spring and it works great. They have great customer service. I roast my beans in a hot air popper right now.The one you want is the Poppery, or the Poppery II made by West Bend. I got mine from a neighbor but you can still find them at stores like the salvation army. You can also roast on your stove top in one of the manual stir top corn poppers. This hobby can be expensive but you can start out relatively cheap just to see if it's what you want to do.

Clayton

Check out Burman Coffee Traders. They are based out of Wisconsin and they sell unroasted beans, and roasting and grinding equipment. I bought a $30 Hearthware adjustable burr grinder from them last spring and it works great. They have great customer service. I roast my beans in a hot air popper right now.The one you want is the Poppery, or the Poppery II made by West Bend. I got mine from a neighbor but you can still find them at stores like the salvation army. You can also roast on your stove top in one of the manual stir top corn poppers. This hobby can be expensive but you can start out relatively cheap just to see if it's what you want to do.

Clayton

Thank you. I like having local options.

Personally, I find 8 O'Clock coffee to be one of the best of the grocery store brands. I like their regular coffee (red bag) just fine and their 100% Columbian (brown bag) is very good.

If you are brewing it weak for your wife, that may be a mistake. Knowledgable coffee people say it is much better to brew it full strength and then dilute with hot water for people who want a weaker drink.

Finally, "bitter" has nothing to do with acid. In fact, they are opposites. Acid tastes sour, not bitter. Bitterness is caused by bases, the chemical opposite of acids.

Tim

Be careful fellows. If you keep this line of commentary going, eventually you'll get to the point where you convince him to buy a monkey and... well, you know. :001_rolle

If you don't want to bother with grinding and presses, a good pre-ground store coffee is Seattle's Best - French Roast. We brew it in a Cuisinart 1200, adding an extra measuring spoon (or 2) for extra strength as we both like coffee strong and black. No more Mr Coffee machines. Mr Coffee makes even this coffee taste bad.

Be careful fellows. If you keep this line of commentary going, eventually you'll get to the point where you convince him to buy a monkey and... well, you know. :001_rolle

I already have a monkey! :biggrin1:

I bought a Melitta filter cone, filters, and some Sumatra beans by Berres Brothers. I had to use the store grinder but I rushed the coffee home and put it in an airtight container. I made some coffee a couple hours ago and it was much better than the Mr. Coffee. Thanks for the tips, everybody.

Last edited:
I already have a monkey! :biggrin1:

I bought a Melitta filter cone, filters, and some Sumatra beans by Berres Brothers. I had to use the store grinder but I rushed the coffee home and put it in an airtight container. I made some coffee a couple hours ago and it was much better than the Mr. Coffee. Thanks for the tips, everybody.

:thumbup:Glad to hear that you took the plunge. Keep in mind your target water temp is 195-200. I often close one of the drip holes with a piece of aluminum foil to increase the dwell time a bit.

Keep us posted!

:thumbup:Glad to hear that you took the plunge. Keep in mind your target water temp is 195-200. I often close one of the drip holes with a piece of aluminum foil to increase the dwell time a bit.

Keep us posted!

The water temp was between 190-200. There was a distinct difference in flavor and no bitterness at all. +1 on Sumatra. I'm going to go brew a cup and have a nice shave. Good day gentlemen.

to minimize bitterness and maximize strength get light roasted coffee the darker the roast the higher the bitterness and the less the caffein

Just wanted to say thanks again. I'm able to make some very good coffee now. At least I think it's good!

If you want a super smooth coffee(especially iced coffee in the summer. Take some quality beans you really like, Gind them, put them in a french press with cold water, let it sit over night, Press it in the morning and enjoy. This makes a stellar, smooth, iced coffee.

Someone mentioned the African coffees tend to be more acidic, but this is not necessarily true. I just finished a pack of Kenyan Top Masai, which is a high-acidity coffee, the first I'd tried but I didn't like it. I prefer the full-bodied but less acidic coffees, The Ethiopian Harrar and Zambian Terranova are good.

I get my coffee weekly from this local roaster and use an Aeropress to brew. It delivers a more espresso-like coffee than a normal french press does.

Top Bottom