What's new

Smooth Coffee?

I have recently began to drink coffee. My wife likes weak coffee but I like it strong. My problem is that we use 8 O'Clock coffee and it has this real bitter (acid?) taste to it right off the bat. I've read reviews on this coffee and it is widely agreed upon that it's a low acid coffee. What is it I'm tasting? I usually drink from a stainless steel coffee mug. The coffee is made with an auto drip Mr. Coffee (i know, I know). Would I be interested in Sumatra, Guatemalan, Colombian, or African? Any suggestions for a smooth, mellow, but strong coffee is much appreciated. Thanks.
if you MUST drink the store crap in a Mr.Coughy (spelling intentional) add a SMALL pinch of salt and that will dissipate the bitterness of most coffees. As for the types listed it is all to taste but I doubt you'd go too far astray with Colombian

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
What! No Tim Horton's in Wisconsin yet?

Freshly roasted coffee is a wonderful thing. To me it sounds like you might like something that is considered "sweet" like Guatemala Fraijanes or Costa Rica La Amistad. Where I am one of our grocery chains has a roaster on site so all their beans have been roasted within days of purchase (Fortino's and Loblaws for folk around here)

I've been using something called the AERO Press for the last year or so. Works pretty well for when you want coffee for one or two.

Good luck

Coffee is like bread - it goes stale. Fresh roasted coffee should be used within a month and different roasts reach their prime at different rates. I have a blonde espresso roast that is perfect about 4-5 days out of the roaster whereas darker beans tend to degrade in freshness more quickly. Once you get a quality burr grinder (not a blade type cutter whirly coffee killer) you will never go back, regardless of your method of brewing. That incredible aroma of fresh ground beans belongs in your cup so grind and brew immediately.

King, any chance you have a hook at the coffee plantations so we can set up a green coffee group buy?

You looking for Kona green bean? Yeah, I bet I can facilitate something. A friend of mine is heading up a consortium coop of small Kona coffee growers and I think they would be pleased to sell some green bean. I'm visiting family now on Oahu, but I'll be back on the Big Island shortly and will talk to my farmer friends about it when I get back. :thumbup1:

You looking for Kona green bean? Yeah, I bet I can facilitate something. A friend of mine is heading up a consortium coop of small Kona coffee growers and I think they would be pleased to sell some green bean. I'm visiting family now on Oahu, but I'll be back on the Big Island shortly and will talk to my farmer friends about it when I get back. :thumbup1:

Thanks King. This would be great, thanks for your help.

Clayton

Sweet!

I was thinking I may make a bulk green bean purchase from a friend of mine in Kealakekua if I can scrounge some cash up. I pretty much have no disposable $$ :blink: . Personally, I'll buy a roast since I'll get to it right away, but it sounds like some of you might be interested in green. I can get parchment as well probably. I've no idea how much I should try to get. Maybe after this weekend, if I speak with Nancy at the farm I'll have an idea. I can get a pound of premium cream of the crop medium roast at the farm gate for $25, but that's after a bit of a drive and before any shipping cost. I wonder how much I could stuff into a flat rate or priority USPS box?

So what, how's a 100 lb. burlap sack of green sound :biggrin1:
I'd actually like to move some of the green bean. The coop could hui up and sell a container easily I bet. I know they'd like to. I'm in the wrong line of work. I should be running a trans-pac import/export biz.

let me know with a pm or a response here if your interested

I was thinking I may make a bulk green bean purchase from a friend of mine in Kealakekua if I can scrounge some cash up. I pretty much have no disposable $$ :blink: . Personally, I'll buy a roast since I'll get to it right away, but it sounds like some of you might be interested in green. I can get parchment as well probably. I've no idea how much I should try to get. Maybe after this weekend, if I speak with Nancy at the farm I'll have an idea. I can get a pound of premium cream of the crop medium roast at the farm gate for $25, but that's after a bit of a drive and before any shipping cost. I wonder how much I could stuff into a flat rate or priority USPS box?

So what, how's a 100 lb. burlap sack of green sound :biggrin1:
I'd actually like to move some of the green bean. The coop could hui up and sell a container easily I bet. I know they'd like to. I'm in the wrong line of work. I should be running a trans-pac import/export biz.

let me know with a pm or a response here if your interested

The good news is that you can fit 15lbs of green coffee in a large flate rate box, its 9.75 or so to ship.

Can you find out who proccess the beans and how/what grade and any cupping notes they might have.

The Farm may have some shipping options also- it may pay to ask.

I'll probably be buying a pound of medium roast for a gift and a pound for me from Nancy at a'ama farms in the next week or so. I may try to harvest some tamarind from her tree as well. :tongue_sm

There are several 1-5 acre farmers and some larger in the mauka areas of Captain Cook that for sure would like to sell green bean

It will be good to chill out at Kealakekua Bay ~ Honaunau before Christmas. Coffee morning's~mid day dives+paddles~scotch evening's. It is after all makahiki season!

I fear Nancy will drink me under the table if I'm not careful :a17: She's got character.

Last edited:
I'll probably be buying a pound of medium roast for a gift and a pound for me from Nancy at a'ama farms in the next week or so. I may try to harvest some tamarind from her tree as well. :tongue_sm
Nice video, thanks for posting. I would certainly be interested in some green coffee from her farm or from a similar enterprise. My new year's resolution is to start roasting my own coffee. :001_tongu

I agree with some previous posts. Get a FreshRoast from Sweet Maria's, a good maker, and some green Sumatra with heavy body like Tak Classic or a dry process Brazil and never look back. Smoooooth.

if you MUST drink the store crap in a Mr.Coughy (spelling intentional) add a SMALL pinch of salt and that will dissipate the bitterness of most coffees. As for the types listed it is all to taste but I doubt you'd go too far astray with Colombian

Even if you drink superior coffees, adding a small pinch of kosher salt will generally make the coffee taste smoother, providing you don't over-extract your beans (i.e., what everyone else has already said about using too few grounds).

Does anyone else here watch Good Eats? I've dubbed this the Alton Brown method...works pretty well!

Top Bottom