What's new

Smooth ball Gillette Open Comb

Picked up an interesting razor set today..although I'm not sure if its a matching set..
The case has a fair amount of wear to the plating
proxy.php

proxy.php

I was trying to match this case on Mr Razors site and other Google'd sites but the latch is different than the other cases of this style
proxy.php

proxy.php

The bottom has the patent info
proxy.php

Missing the blade case :sad:
proxy.php

proxy.php

No markings on the bottom plate
proxy.php

The left left pin is shorter than the right...odd
proxy.php

Serial number...the "9" at the end looks like an after thought
proxy.php

proxy.php

Slight plate loss on the edges of the top plate
proxy.php

Side by side with a 1918 Army razor,,,you can really see the short pin and that the razor total length is shorter
proxy.php

Handle differences
proxy.php

I did read a thread on a similar razor
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...defer-to-your-expertise?highlight=smooth+ball

Mine also has that "crack" at the end of the handle :001_smile
proxy.php

I am curious as to whether it belongs in the case.
The handle from the 1918 is longer and does not fit good in the slot of the case.
The wear in the case fits the smooth ball perfectly, if it doesnt belong, it seems to of lived in this case for along time.

I assume dating this odd Canadian razor is nearly impossible.
There was a small sticker on the bottom of the case that someone had written "c 1910"
I see Mr Razor dates this style to 1910/11
Is it possible that it could date to the pre-diamond years?

Thanks for any info you can supply \
Kevin
proxy.php

That latched style case is the oldest Pocket Edition style, and as best as anyone can figure those "PC" serial numbers seem to also be early razors out of the Montreal plant, so I see no reason to doubt that the set could be proper. I can't say as I've ever noticed one cap stud shorter than the other, but that's pretty strikingly noticeable on yours. No idea what could have happened there. I love these thin ball-ends, though. :thumbup1:

That latched style case is the oldest Pocket Edition style, and as best as anyone can figure those "PC" serial numbers seem to also be early razors out of the Montreal plant, so I see no reason to doubt that the set could be proper. I can't say as I've ever noticed one cap stud shorter than the other, but that's pretty strikingly noticeable on yours. No idea what could have happened there. I love these thin ball-ends, though. :thumbup1:

Thanks!! I noticed I missed a 1909 Pocket Edition on the Mr Razor site with this same case.
From what I understand, this would be an ABC case, correct? Maybe the handle is an ABC made handle??
http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Old Type/1909_ABC engraved von Leonard Taupier.jpg

I believe that handle is unique to Canadian Gillette Old-Type Pocket Edition razors.

Also, the typical "Old-Type Crack" runs lengthwise to the handle . . .

Certainly a beautiful razor, not commonly found! Congrats!

I believe that handle is unique to Canadian Gillette Old-Type Pocket Edition razors.

Correct. The Canadian plant seems to have been doing its own unique handles for their Pocket Editions during the time that the American plant was using the ABC handles. In addition to this style, we know of at least a couple others. The "nut-end" handle:

attachment.php

And the "real ball-end" handle:

proxy.php

Also, the typical "Old-Type Crack" runs lengthwise to the handle . . .

He's referring to the "scratch" between the knurling and the ball end that I believe is a manufacturing defect unique to this particular handle style.

Picked up an interesting razor set today..although I'm not sure if its a matching set..

...I am curious as to whether it belongs in the case.
The handle from the 1918 is longer and does not fit good in the slot of the case.
The wear in the case fits the smooth ball perfectly, if it doesnt belong, it seems to of lived in this case for along time....

.....Thanks for any info you can supply \
Kevin

I remembered reading this thread because I appreciate Canadian razors and am always looking for them. I recently found this razor’s brother just over the Rocky Mountains from Alberta. No need for doubt now. This firms it up for me - two lovely early run examples of the Canadian Pocket. ( I like to think of them as the original Pocket Rocket!)

AAA3E95B-1DD5-4D3F-BB1E-A1411E1A52BD.jpeg

Top Bottom