What's new

Smoking Straight Virginias

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I find the majority of my pipes have a preferred 20-24mm diameter chamber. Now, the common belief is that a conical or narrow bowl is the preferred shape to smoke Virginias. It is supppose to concentrate the flavors. I have designated my Larrysson B&B LE for this very task, but it has me thinking. Do any of our member smoke straight virginias in bigger bowls?

I tend to burn hot when in more narrow bowls, despite sipping. Ill get around to trying it myself, but wanted to see if anyone has done the leg work.

The only straight VA I've tried has been PS Luxury Twist Flake. I've smoked it in a billiard or two, and in the new-to-me Victor's Dublin. I hadn't noticed it getting hot in any of them.

I use larger pipes for ribbon cut VAs like Telegraph Hill, Rouxgaroux, Dorchester.

I think the narrow bowls may be a flake thing.

I've started favoring larger bowls for virginias. I tend to smoke them slower and started looking for burn times north of an hour. The flavor seems fine to me. I can't really recall it affecting FVF or Union Square, for better or worse. VaBur and VaPer blends seem to be improved by the larger surface area.

I mostly have chimeys, but my virginias are flakes so, i don't know.
Also I'm to lazy to look after that. I choose the tabacco and i choose the pipe. Or visaversa. Amd both choices can be independent of each other.

Less stress, more smoking

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I smoke straight VA regularly, however I prefer narrower bowls in general and just reload when the time comes.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My Virginia pipes are 18 to 20mm at the rim, and somewhat conical in the chamber. I think they're probably around 35 to 40mm deep. I do think the conical bowl helps during the second half of the smoke. Most of my pipes are about the same diameter anyway, but more cylindrical in the chamber.

Recently I popped some Newminster No. 400 Superior Navy Flake into my "captain's pipe," the rather tall-bowled sandblast billiard from Jensen. The smoke lasted a good 40 minutes before I felt any real heat in the heel, and even then the smoke itself was not inclined to bite.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I kinda wanted to update this. I was fortunate enough to obtain a tin of McClelland 40th anniversary. I decided to load it up in my MONSTER Baki lovat. It has a 23mm bowl. SWEETNESS. The tobacco really shined.

Today i was lookin at my jar and saw Reiner Long Gold Flakes. Decided that since the Baki was allowing the McClelland to shine, that i would give it a go. Same deal. Really brought out the sweetness.

Now im not much of a Virginia smoker. I know the Reiner is technically a Vaper, but i may be a convert after these two. This pipe is magical with these blends.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
So I kinda wanted to update this. I was fortunate enough to obtain a tin of McClelland 40th anniversary. I decided to load it up in my MONSTER Baki lovat. It has a 23mm bowl. SWEETNESS. The tobacco really shined.

Today i was lookin at my jar and saw Reiner Long Gold Flakes. Decided that since the Baki was allowing the McClelland to shine, that i would give it a go. Same deal. Really brought out the sweetness.

Now im not much of a Virginia smoker. I know the Reiner is technically a Vaper, but i may be a convert after these two. This pipe is magical with these blends.

What was your method of smoking the flake?

Top Bottom