What's new

Smoking Meat

Two books I can recommend are: 'Backyard BBQ' by Richard McPeake; and 'Meat Smoking and Smokehouse Design' by Stanley, Adam and Robert Marianski. The last one covers a lot of smoking and different pits, whilst the first one has more recipes.

HTH,
Wayne

I moved from FL to CT two years ago & have not had good BBQ since :mad:

Don't even get me started on sweet tea

So you moved from Fla. to Ct. and have not had any good BBQ! Tell you what travel to Kansas City, MO and eat at a few of the rib shacks there and you will find that you have never had good BBQ!! LOL
If you are ever in KC look up LC's BBQ and you will be in heaven! I think they are on Blue Parkway; me I just follow my nose!

I know this will start a "who's BBQ is best run in this thread" but I have been all over and personally KC has it all beat hands down!

i smoke every chance i can get ... from chicken, pork, deer, beef ... you name it ... i smoke it ... even cheese and beans on occasion ...

here is a link to my other pics of it in process and such ...

http://www.silenzzzz.net/smoking/

i just use a modified 'el cheapo' grill / smoker from wal-mart .. and it works great ...

www.smokingmeatforums.com

is a great place for more information ...

Great looking dishes! I see you are a dry rub guy as well!

<MMMMMMmmm> hunger!

Another Egger here. If you can swing it, I strongly suggest getting one. It's an extremely versatile device. In addition to smoking, you can sear at extremely high temps, "just grill," come pretty close to baking in a brick oven, and even smelt metal :) Ordinary hot dogs are something special coming off the Egg. Not to mention pizza, bread, burgers, chili, etc. It's all good.

Actually, my first contact with Joel was on the Egg forums way back before B&B. I believe he still has and uses his.

Sorry to be crass, but my smoker gives me a boner. I love it. I've got a weber smokey mountain and it...is...awesome. I use it all year round. I really, really want the new and improved 22" version (believe the original is only 18") but it's $500 and I can't justify one right now.

www.virtualweberbullet.com is a great resource.

It really is easy to use.

So you moved from Fla. to Ct. and have not had any good BBQ! Tell you what travel to Kansas City, MO and eat at a few of the rib shacks there and you will find that you have never had good BBQ!! LOL
If you are ever in KC look up LC's BBQ and you will be in heaven! I think they are on Blue Parkway; me I just follow my nose!

I know this will start a "who's BBQ is best run in this thread" but I have been all over and personally KC has it all beat hands down!

KC has the best commercial BBQ I have tried, but I still think I can make better at home. VA, the worst. Haven't found good BBQ in VA yet.

The Big Green Eggs are nice but the Weber Bullet Smoker is a nice alternative. I used it for years and still fire it up from time to time in spite of having a Traeger smoker/grill that gets heavy use.

Right as our old bbq/grill rusted to death last summer and we need a new one this thread has inspired me to look into UK based bbq smoking devices.

I had some awesome pulled pork this summer in the US and I have never ever found anything like it back home

What's your definition of BBQ? To me, smoked meat is BBQ.....

there are differences ... to me (and most of the people in my area)

smoked meat = indirect heat
BBQ = direct heat or grilling ...

if that makes sense ... one is over the coals .. the other is more indirect and cooked slower ... though direct heat can be cooked slower as well ...

Great looking dishes! I see you are a dry rub guy as well!

<MMMMMMmmm> hunger!

thanks .. yeah i prefer dry rub... what i use is a custom blended mixture .. i mix it up about 4lbs at a time and keep it in the freezer for when i want to use it.

there are differences ... to me (and most of the people in my area)

smoked meat = indirect heat
BBQ = direct heat or grilling ...

if that makes sense ... one is over the coals .. the other is more indirect and cooked slower ... though direct heat can be cooked slower as well ...

Grilling is just that, grilling. True Q is smoke, low & slow, indirect heat. Only Yankees fire up a grill, incinerate some meat, and call it "barbecue." :biggrin:

thanks .. yeah i prefer dry rub... what i use is a custom blended mixture .. i mix it up about 4lbs at a time and keep it in the freezer for when i want to use it.

Care to share your recipe with another fan of dry rub? I'm always open to trying a different product on a pork butt.

Mike

Grilling is just that, grilling. True Q is smoke, low & slow, indirect heat. Only Yankees fire up a grill, incinerate some meat, and call it "barbecue." :biggrin:

Amen brother, there are a least a few of us tho that know the difference.

word brother. BBQ is smoked meat. You can add sauce if you want to, vinegar or tomato base, I won't complain but grilled meat is grilled. Smoked aka BBQ never goes above 225 for me, never! That is why it takes 18-26 hours to smoke a pork shoulder and brisket. Where else can you throw on a hunk of fat marbled meat, cook it slow and almost a day later pull out a blackened meteorite that is juicy and delicious?

Top Bottom