What's new

Smokin'

I just put a 12lb whole packer brisket in my smoker. It is 11 o'clock PM now and by around 1 or 2 o'clock PM tomorrow it should be so tender that it could be cut with a dull knife. I love smoking brisket and I love eating brisket. I could eat a pound or two in a single sitting. When it is done, I will cut off the point and hide it in the refrigerator so I can later cut it in cubes and make burnt ends for me to snack on. That will be mine, all mine.

Nice, I'm going to do one of those for Thanksgiving Eve to feed the guests. Care to share your technique, recipe, rub, etc? I have a batch of snack sticks and summer sausage on the smoker right now.

Q-view

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Those sausages look delish!
i may need to bbq Monday for the work week

Nice, I'm going to do one of those for Thanksgiving Eve to feed the guests. Care to share your technique, recipe, rub, etc? I have a batch of snack sticks and summer sausage on the smoker right now.

Q-view

First of all, my get together was great. The brisket turned out wonderful in spite of the fact that I ran out of propane and did not notice it for several hours. I just finished it up in the oven in the house. It had already gone past 140 degrees so more smoke was needed.

The rub I use is my own recipe. Here is the recipe:

1/2 cup paprika1/4 cup brown sugar3 tablespoons coarse kosher salt3 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper3 tablespoons garlic powder3 tablespoons onion powder2 tablespoons ground cumin2 tablespoons chili powder2 tablespoons oregano 1,2 or 3 tablespoons cayenne pepper (depending upon how much heat you want)

The day before I trim some of the fat off of the brisket leaving about a 1/4" layer of fat on the brisket. I then apply a generous coating of olive oil and then a generous coating of rub, being careful to get all sides of the meat coated with rub. I then wrap it in plastic wrap and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. About 2 hours before putting it in the smoker I let it sit on the counter so it can lose some of its chill. Just before putting the brisket in the smoker I put a pan of very hot water in the smoker. I use a deep pan with about a gallon of water in it. The water helps keep the temperature in the smoker stable and helps keep the meat moist. I bring the smoker up to 225-230 degrees Fahrenheit and make sure it stays within +/- 5 degrees. I have a remote meat/smoker thermometer so I then go to bed and I can check the temps during the night. I let the meat reach an internal temperature of about 195 degrees F and then pull it out. I put it in an aluminum pan, cover it with foil, wrap it in a blanket and place it in a large cooler to keep it hot. It will stay hot like this for up to 6 hours.

This method has given me consistently moist and tender briskest for years. You don't need no teef to eat my beef. And that is important to people my age sometimes.

Top Bottom