What's new

Smoker Recommendation

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
The WSM is as good as you can get for its size and cost, so long as you are fairly happy with burning lump and chunks.

However, for a little extra, you can get a very good pellet cooker. A few years ago, I would have tried to talk you out of a pellet cooker, but I'm flat in love with my Camp Chef. I love my stick burner, too, but it's been a lot colder since I got that pellet cooker.

For a grill, get a grill. Webers are excellent grills, but (if we're honest) just about anything that holds the meat over the coals will work.

Yes, stay away from a combo. You'll spend a lot of extra money to get something that's mediocre at both jobs.

I am a full fledged pellet grill fan, and in the last couple of years there has been an explosion of new innovations and brands that do a very respectable job of being able to grill and smoke. I’m not going to say that it will do either quite as well as a dedicated grill or smoker, but unless you are an absolute perfectionist or competing I believe you can find a pellet grill that would make you happy, starting in the $600 and up price range. Important features to look for IMO would be a max temperature setting of 550+ degrees and some sort of configuration that allows for direct flame grilling. There are different methods of achieving the direct flame grilling, some are better than others. I already have 2 pellet grills, but if I wasn’t afraid of my wife I would be looking hard at the new Weber model, but I also have several friends that have the Green Mountain grills and all are very happy with them, and the pizza oven Insert on those is a fantastic option. My $.02

I am a full fledged pellet grill fan, and in the last couple of years there has been an explosion of new innovations and brands that do a very respectable job of being able to grill and smoke. I’m not going to say that it will do either quite as well as a dedicated grill or smoker, but unless you are an absolute perfectionist or competing I believe you can find a pellet grill that would make you happy, starting in the $600 and up price range. Important features to look for IMO would be a max temperature setting of 550+ degrees and some sort of configuration that allows for direct flame grilling. There are different methods of achieving the direct flame grilling, some are better than others. I already have 2 pellet grills, but if I wasn’t afraid of my wife I would be looking hard at the new Weber model, but I also have several friends that have the Green Mountain grills and all are very happy with them, and the pizza oven Insert on those is a fantastic option. My $.02

Funny you mention the Green Mountain Grills. I just had a co-worker selling me on the Green Mountain Grills for about the last 15 minutes. Price looks really good and gets hot enough to grill. I might be going that route. We're going to be doing it on a balcony so pellet grill is probably the way to go.

Wait a bit for the new Weber pellet grills to hit the stores. They look pretty amazing.
Me? I'm a Kamado Joe guy👍🏻

Before you do anything look at this site. It reviews anything that’s worth getting.

Your budget and what you’re going to cook and for how many will determine a lot.

I bought two rigs based on the reviews and would highly recommend both. I’ve got a Primo XL and a Pit Barrel Cooker.

I live in NJ and wanted to cook through the winter. Ceramic is amazing. They cook the same in -20 or 100 degree temps. If you HAVE to have a wood burning - like an off-set, then take a look at Lone Star Grills. If I decide I want an off set or a cabinet cooker then I’d go for a LSG.

Have fun!!

Love my Weber kettles. I have a Jumbo Joe (18.5" Smokey Joe) and a 22.5" kettle with the enclosed ash catcher. The Jumbo Joe sat in my shed, looking ready for the trash. My current gas grill bit the dust, due to being used year round for a few years. Before I went out and bought another cheap gas grill, I looked at restoring my little Weber. Garden hose, Dawn soap, and steel wool were my tools.
Durned if that little thing didn't clean up looking almost brand new. Cleaned the cooking grate best I could, dumped some lump charcoal in and lit a "tumbleweed" coal starter. Burgers.......mmmmm.

I went to the local Walmart a couple of weeks later to see what they had. I found the Weber kettle model that was supposed to sell for $169 or so. No boxes on the shelf, just the display unit.
I walked out of that store with a brand new Weber 22.5 kettle for less than a Smokey Joe because they gave me the SM price, then I trumped that with my employee discount card (I drive for Walmart). End result: I saved right at $100 and have a wonderful grill.

I rake all my coals to one side for steaks. Slap the steaks on over the hot coals, cover with lid. 2 minutes later, turn steaks 1/4 turn, cover with lid. 2 minutes later, flip steaks, cover. 2 minutes later, quarter turn. After the next 2 minutes are up, I move the steaks to the "cool" side and finish cooking with indirect heat, approximately 5 minutes, turning the steaks maybe twice more, but not flipping.

Take em inside, put some grass fed butter on em and cover with foil for about 8-10 minutes.

......dang, I'm hungry.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Before you do anything look at this site. It reviews anything that’s worth getting.

Your budget and what you’re going to cook and for how many will determine a lot.

I bought two rigs based on the reviews and would highly recommend both. I’ve got a Primo XL and a Pit Barrel Cooker.

I live in NJ and wanted to cook through the winter. Ceramic is amazing. They cook the same in -20 or 100 degree temps. If you HAVE to have a wood burning - like an off-set, then take a look at Lone Star Grills. If I decide I want an off set or a cabinet cooker then I’d go for a LSG.

Have fun!!
Amazing Ribs is a great site.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I guess I don’t see the difference, the point is to have direct radiant heat vs indirect convection heat.

There's not much "radiant" about a flame.

The difference is like the difference between being struck with a red hot brand and warming your hands by the fire that made that brand hot.

There's not much "radiant" about a flame.

The difference is like the difference between being struck with a red hot brand and warming your hands by the fire that made that brand hot.
I thought flames/fire were infrared radiation, but I’m not a scientist so I’m probably wrong. Either way it’s off course from the OP’s original question so I’ll just leave it at that.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I thought flames/fire were infrared radiation, but I’m not a scientist so I’m probably wrong. Either way it’s off course from the OP’s original question so I’ll just leave it at that.

I believe flames are plasma. They do emit IR radiation, but so do coals, and coals are both hotter and more easily controlled.

I've owned (or currently own) every grill/grill type mentioned here in this thread. Each has its pro/cons, but in my humble opinion, the Pellet Grill is the most versatile. It's the easiest to start, operate, lock in temp, and makes the least mess. The newer Pellet Grills can get hot (500+ degrees) and most are now offering a sliding searing style grate, which works nicely for steaks. Pellet Grills are also so simple to set a temp and walk away for 12 hours. Now, the downside to a pellet grill is they throw out a ton of smoke... sometimes you just don't want your food that smokey... but other times you do! I've also noticed that the temp can fluctuate more than I'd like it to. For example, if I set the dial to 250F, it will usually hold within 20 degrees of that, but at times it will randomly jump up and down 60 degrees for some unknown reason. Its kinda annoying, but I've learned to live with it.

I also love my Kamodo's, but its a totally different beast that requires more initial monitoring and cleanup.

I've had great luck with the Pit Boss Pellet Grills that are sold at Lowes in the $500 range. I had 3 co-workers see mine in action and all 3 immediately went out and purchased one. They all love them.

I seem to be lusting after a MAK ... When I add all the desired options the price in the cart is enough of a shock to keep my bank account in good health. One of the things that makes me look at the MAK two star is that the interior dimensions is pretty big. When we first saw one in person SWMBO declared that the warming drawer was a must have feature (this was at least 10 years ago...). I know cold smoking cheese, nuts, etc can be done without a separate area but it sure looked convenient.

Ruckin

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I seem to be lusting after a MAK ... When I add all the desired options the price in the cart is enough of a shock to keep my bank account in good health. One of the things that makes me look at the MAK two star is that the interior dimensions is pretty big. When we first saw one in person SWMBO declared that the warming drawer was a must have feature (this was at least 10 years ago...). I know cold smoking cheese, nuts, etc can be done without a separate area but it sure looked convenient.

Ruckin

Those are some sexy machines, but that's an awful lot of money. I'm happier with my Camp Chef Lux and a couple grand left over to figure out the cold smoking solution.

I have a camp chef i am happy with, only cooking for 2 and freeze extra's.
It does have dual thermostats, my temp swings are not bad, 10-15 at times. +-.
It does have a sliding baffle to have the flame directly open under the drip tray.
I have cooked a steak over it and it works not sure how a lot of food would fare.
I did keep my propane for steaks and quick cooking.
It starts easy, and cleans easy. and works, even had a power blip, i started it up again no issues.
after running for 4 hrs plus, when smoking stuf, there only about 2 tbls of ashes in the ash tin.
Thats impressive, I will use it as a smoker for my ribs, and wings and anything else I out on, thinking shrimp to try and snack on while the rest is smoking.
Also i am in central florida, where keeping temp is not usually a problem.

Ended up getting the Pit Boss 700 Classic. The price and versatility were too good for me to pass up. It has the ability to smoke as well as direct flame grill. I will report back with results (and hopefully pictures) after using it this weekend.

I've had a slew of sheet metal smokers, they all work about equally well, and all require constant attention. I bought a Green Egg a few years ago and wish I had earlier. Can be 20f outside, with wind. Set it around 250f and it stays there for hours without tending. Not inexpensive, but worth ever dollar. The cheap knockoffs work well, but without the heavy ceramic they don't work as well in a breeze and cold.

An automated Traeger pellet grill would be my second choice.
I purchased a Kamado Joe Classic II 1.5 years ago (~ $850 at the Costco Kamado Joe roadshow). Best bang for the buck ever. I can dial in and hold 225° pretty much effortlessly. And if you want to sear tasty animal, it'll hit 650° about as easily. The Green Egg is much the same beast, but wasn't as cost-effective when I last did the math.

And the aftermath. 20200203_182039.jpg20200203_181441.jpg20200203_165803.jpg20200203_124303.jpg

Top Bottom