What's new

Smoker Recommendation

This is a can of worms, but I see the appeal of having a range of ways to cook meat outdoors. While not ideal for space or budget, here’s what I’ve been using with good success:

Traeger pellet smoker to impart the smoke part, we also use it as a big oven for turkeys and pizza. So easy it’s boring. My neighbour with a charcoal smoker gets to pound more pints while he tends to his smoker. I can run out to Costco and mow the lawn all while smoking and know it will turn out great. He might be on to something....

Napoleon gas grill- their top end models are still made in Canada, which helps with long term serviceability and parts.

Weber charcoal bulb- oh charcoal, you wonderful beast. I mostly use this for finishing on high heat.

Add an Anova sous vide. It’s my secret weapon that makes my buddies feel inferior and my food more consistent.

I’ve been smoking brisket, cooking long and low in the sous vide, then finishing on the charcoal. I do the same with beef and pork ribs. The gas bbq is more for firing up burgers during the week when we’re hurried along by the kids’ sports.

Top Bottom