What's new

Smoked Turkey

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Aaron...um awesome! You do know ya got a four day rest?

I processed the turkey and placed it in an aluminum tray with a cover and into the freezer.

This is was my first smoked turkey ever. It turned out pretty good. It was juicy. The smoked flavor is to my liking. For some it my be a bit too much. Next time I'll back off on the smoke some. The bacon draped on top added some flavor and kept the breast from drying out.

...a fun day.

Doing 65 smoked turkeys tomorrow night. Brined for 24 hours in 1:1 salt/sugar in 1 gallon of water. Usually 2 gallons per 20 pound bird. Starting at 10 pm. Should be done by 8 am.

I argued against brining since the birds were packed in a 8% salt solution already but did it to please the higher ups after years past when they bought unpacked birds and turkeys came out dry...

I hope to see lots of beautiful smoke rings on Thursday! I will try to snag some pictures of the smoker full (I can do about 25 at a time) but love seeing every one else's rigs and birds.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Doing 65 smoked turkeys tomorrow night. Brined for 24 hours in 1:1 salt/sugar in 1 gallon of water. Usually 2 gallons per 20 pound bird. Starting at 10 pm. Should be done by 8 am.

I argued against brining since the birds were packed in a 8% salt solution already but did it to please the higher ups after years past when they bought unpacked birds and turkeys came out dry...

I hope to see lots of beautiful smoke rings on Thursday! I will try to snag some pictures of the smoker full (I can do about 25 at a time) but love seeing every one else's rigs and birds.

Would love to see pics of that.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Now that I think about it, I should have just a smoked a few turkey fatties stuffed with corn bread dressing and glazed with spicy cranberry BBQ sauce.

$IMG_1368.jpg$IMG_1369.jpg

Would love to see pics of that.
$uploadfromtaptalk1448519096108.jpg
Third round of cold turkeys getting ready to be pulled out of the smoker. The hot turkeys go in after this and will get about 4 hours of smoke before getting wrapped and held at 180 until they get picked up. I can do 25 at a time and we capped orders at 75 this year. I don't have enough cooler space to handle more.

Looking good, John.

I'll season the bird and get it in my Egg by 10 am for dinner service. The one trick I learned from a smoked turkey recipe was to cool the breast with a gallon freezer bag filled with ice 30 minutes before cooking. It helps the bird cook more evenly so th breast isn't at temp before the thigh. Worked well for me the last two years.

Happy cooking.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Nothing special...just rubbed butter inside and outside of the skin and seasoned with salt and pepper. Smoked with some lump charcoal and cherry wood.

Bird going on.

Bird ready to come off.

Looks okay...internal temp. of the breast was 162 in one spot and 170 in another, and the legs were at 165 right after taking it off. Let it rest for about 20 minutes before cutting into it.

We called this Thanksgiving dinner...smoked turkey, cranberry sauce, sweet 'taters, dressing with gravy, green beans with BACON, stuffed celery and deviled eggs. There was also some fruit salad and rolls but there wasn't enough room on my plate at that time. :biggrin1: And only two people eating.

Last edited:
Good looking birds Gents. I've got a 16 pounder going on the Weber Kettle tomorrow. I'll post pics when done.

Smoked a goose and turkey for Thanksgiving. Turkey was a 12 lb. organic brined for 14 hrs. Smoked it for 5-1/2 hrs. (breast down for the last 2 hrs.) at about 275 degrees using about 20% mesquite charcoal, 60% cherry wood and 20% apple wood.
Covered with foil and let rest for 40 minutes.

Goose came out good, turkey was the juiciest, most flavorful turkey I've ever had; by a long shot.

It's starting to smell wonderful outside of my house.

Attachments

• $DSCF8407.jpg
    $DSCF8407.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 37
  • $DSCF8408.jpg
    $DSCF8408.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 37
  • $DSCF8409.jpg
    $DSCF8409.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 36
Top Bottom